introducing the bodge(tm) traverser

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:49 pm

How about Devon clotted cream Steve. The fruit could then be for a jam factory next door.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:42 am

rue_d_etropal wrote:How about Devon clotted cream Steve. The fruit could then be for a jam factory next door.

The thought had crossed my mind Simon, but the yogurt idea is taking a hold at the moment :) . Have just been looking at some OO scale fire buckets, which could make quite good yogurt pots :) I guess they could also be used for cream :roll:
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:46 am

Peter wrote:Anyway, is it just me or all our layouts starting to revolve around food? Watercress, Milk, Salt, Yogurt, Potatoes, Beer? Are we all just that hungry? Or perhaps were just subconcously trying to make a balenced diet?

:lol: You forgot mushrooms Peter :D
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:27 pm

Just as you thought this thread had disappeared into the depths :) back it comes again :)
Rather than polute Brians thread further(http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=944) I thought it best to put my latest pics in here. All revved up last week in preparation for the weekends show, at which this little layout was due to make an appearance as part of a demonstration, I decided to make a big effort to finally replace the printed roof slates that had been on there for far too long. Inspired by Brians progress and with little time available, it was time to focus to stand any chance of getting it done in time, but I got there as these two pics show.

After all that effort though, due to a change in venue for the show, it wasnt possible to give the planned demonstration, due to lack of space, so nobody got to see it anyway :) Not a problem really, the deadline had given the impetus to get it done :)

Now to the real purpose of this post, a little trick with roof slates/tiles that some may not have seen before. Putting on tiles/slates as card strips, with a cut between each tile is nothing new. Where this technique varies is that instead of just a single cut with a knife, I use a knife with two blades in it, thus creating a bit of a gap. This is probably overscale, but it does make the individual tiles stand out from each other. Hopefully this pic will show what I mean.

Nothing complicated, I think you will agree. I find it best to cut the gaps from the full sheet of card before cutting off that strip of tiles, it gives you more to hold onto(until you get to the end of the card anyway :) ). The little Exacto type knife in the pic, is just used to cut the end of the little slithers of card after the larger double bladed knife has cut the two parallel lines. Simplicity itself. One final pic, which goes in closer on the double bladed knife, the gap is very small, hope you can make it out.

Hopefully this will be of use to sombody.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:42 pm

I meant to ask how you did the tiles when you unearthed it for me, but I was looking at the pebbles in the rails, which look equally good :D !

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:45 pm

Very nice Steve, I might have to give that a try on the bricks for Macton.

Regards michael
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Sir Briand » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:11 pm

Neat Steve. Thanks for the closeups. Next time around I will try a simpler roof finish :roll: . I still have to straighten everything out. There are a few curves in the wrong places :cry:
Sir BRIANd :wink:
Paint your people to look like they belong!
http://www.brifayle.ca

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:27 pm

Very simple and effective technique to enhance a basic approach. Good thinking!
Chris

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:00 pm

Looking good Steve.. I've used thsi method a few times for wargames models.. I thought about using it on the building on Gnotts Widgets but went for a felt roof (like a garden shed) instead.. wasn't confident about getting the weathering / colouring right.
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:26 pm

I know what you mean about colouring/weathering Martin, i really wasnt sure about these roofs to start with, thinking I would come back and weather them some more, but after living with them for a few days, have decided to leave as they are (for now anyway).
It's always going to be a bit of a compromise, a tile or slate roof from a distance, looks more or less the same colour overall, as you get closer though, you start to see the variations. So do you build the model to look like it is being viewed from some way off, or from closer, I dont think there is a correct answer to that one :wink: The other thing is, do you want the roof to grab the attention, or is it part of the frame for the picture you are building, sometimes we can add too much detail to an area which we are not really intending the viewer to focus on. For the most part on a layout, although the roofs of buildings are fairly prominent (unless viewed at eye level), we dont want the viewers eye to linger there, so sometimes less detail, is preferable.
Last edited by Steve Bennett on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:38 am

I'm going to be awfully pernickety here but I am after all an editor that spends the day correcting English (amongst other things) and my sensibilities are being disturbed here.

People: the plural of roof is ROOFS.

Chris

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:41 am

Corrected, seems I have had it wrong for 40 years or so :) never was any good at school.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Racing Hippo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Racing Hippo » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:02 am

Steve Bennett wrote:Corrected, seems I have had it wrong for 40 years or so :)

As grammatical transgressions go, it's a fairly minor one.
After all, Eric Partridge himself says of it:
Eric Partridge in Usage and Abusage wrote:Rooves also was common in our early literature, and is (like loaf, loaves) consistent with the genius of our language; a writer that prefers it could not be condemned for error and hardly for eccentricity

Sheesh! Who'd ever accuse Steve (or any Gnutter for that matter) of eccentricity :?: :?: :?: :lol:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:30 pm

chris krupa wrote:I'm going to be awfully pernickety here but I am after all an editor that spends the day correcting English (amongst other things) and my sensibilities are being disturbed here.

People: the plural of roof is ROOFS.

Chris

Interesting Chris my 1993 Concise Oxford recognises the word Rooves albeit indentifying it as disputed. I guess the origin results from the common way of pronouncing roofs as rooves.
GerryB. ps My early recollection is that I've always used rooves so that goes back 60+ years :twisted:
Last edited by Gerry Bullock on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Irish Music, Maps, Eaton Hall and Sand Hutton

Postby Peter » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:46 pm

My 1993 Webster's has both "roofs" and "rooves" as plurals albeit with a note saying that "roofs" is more regular.

Ain't English grand? :P :wink:
Failure is just success rounded down.

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:59 pm

Maybe the Saxons said 'rooves' with the harder 'v', and the Normans said 'roofs' with the softer 'f' ?

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:44 pm

dr5euss wrote:Maybe the Saxons said 'rooves' with the harder 'v', and the Normans said 'roofs' with the softer 'f' ?

You may not be far off there George, languages are living things and do evolve as time goes on.
This gave me something to think about while driving today and i'm sure that I was taught at school, that if a noun finishes with an "f" the plural would use "ves" at the end :) . As used with hoof, calf, wolf and the like. Maybe I remember wrongly, or the thinking on it has changed over the years (it was a while ago :) )
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:43 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:You may not be far off there George, languages are living things and do evolve as time goes on.

Mmmmm, unfortunately the English language seems to be devolving into 'text', or should that be 'txt'?
So the top bits of houses are now 'rfs'. :o

Ask a teenager if they know any morse code, or even what it is.
Than ask them what "_ _ _ . . _ _ _" on a Nokia phone means. :roll:

When I was a small child my "mobile" hung from the ceiling and moved in the breeze. :D

Can I get a place in "Grumpy Old Men" on BBC 2? Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!! :twisted:

I'm going to switch the computer off now and go and do some railway modelling while my blood pressure returns to normal. :wink:

Peter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Irish Music, Maps, Eaton Hall and Sand Hutton

Postby Peter » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:45 am

--- .. --- is OIO
-. --- - .- .-.. .-.. ..- ... -.-- --- ..- -. --. ..-. --- .-.. -.- ... .... .- ...- . ..-. --- .-. ... .- -.- . -. -- --- .-. ... .
:D
That took forever to type
Failure is just success rounded down.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:07 am

Peter wrote:--- .. --- is OIO
-. --- - .- .-.. .-.. ..- ... -.-- --- ..- -. --. ..-. --- .-.. -.- ... .... .- ...- . ..-. --- .-. ... .- -.- . -. -- --- .-. ... .
:D
That took forever to type

OIO? - I'm still none the wiser. Over in Out?
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Racing Hippo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Racing Hippo » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:40 am

bobblackcloud wrote:So the top bits of houses are now 'rfs'. :o

ROFL.
Or shd tht b 'rvs'?

bobblackcloud wrote:Than ask them what "_ _ _ . . _ _ _" on a Nokia phone means. :roll:

As Peter said, that's "OIO". The Nokia tone for an incoming SMS is "... -- ..."
... =s
--=m
---=o
..=i

The first time I heard someone's phone bleeping that sequence loudly, I made a quick and very puzzled scan around to find the emergency before realising that there was a dash missing from the message:!:

bobblackcloud wrote:When I was a small child my "mobile" hung from the ceiling and moved in the breeze. :D

When I told a friend that my sister had bought our newborn a mobile, her first response was "Isn't he a bit young?!"

Ain't language fascinatin' ? :)

Oh, and Peter - you have too much time on your hands! Stop wasting it and do some modeling! ;)

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:51 pm

Well with all due respect for all parties, Anglo Saxons, Vikings and Normans, the previous did sound a bit like "put that in yer pipe an' smoke it" :lol: :lol: :lol:

kindest regards Michael
Regards Michael

Racing Hippo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Racing Hippo » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:00 pm

michael wrote:"put that in yer pipe an' smoke it" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Presumably blowing long and short puffs of smoke :lol:

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:31 pm

Puff puff puf puf puf pufff puf puf puf Chuff chuff chuff

being a steam buff an' all
:lol:

Michael
Regards Michael

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:03 pm

Now then... seeing as we're talking about smoke... :twisted: :twisted:
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

Return to “Modelling Matters”