Tom Yorke's latest Gn15 Models

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Les
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway and warship modelling, gardening DIY, history

Postby Les » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:05 pm

Tom, your models are great. I've often tended to go for larger models in 1:24 scale, like my old Japanese bo-bo and my more recent Waitakere Tramway loco. I usually call my stuff Hn18 but often forget and revert to describing them as GN15. I believe there's room for both ends of the spectrum on this forum. It all adds to the interest and inspiration.
Les

tom yorke
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: ind. ng, small locos, miniatures

Postby tom yorke » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:14 pm

Les,
Thanks. I've been doing it for better than 50 years! I hope I've learned something. Whatever - its fun. Its probably better that I go with the Hn18 (even though it runs on HO gauge which is really about 16" anyway). The three times gauge rule that way will help me out a bit - even though I still have to "push" it from 4'-6" to 5'. Just can't fit two persons in the cab any smaller.

Some day I hope to really get working on my "system". The dock is finished and there is street track work to do. I have one structure so far (not finished) and it is huge even though selectively compressed! Right now I am concentrating on motive power and cars. The O&K 0-6-2 is next and then there will be a Forney on the Bachmann OF loco. Then there's the "super power". Two 2-8-0's. Talk about really "pushing" it. They of course would be much better in 2' gauge but I work with what I've got and keep one eye shut so I don't notice!

Tom
Tom Yorke
Thomas A Yorke Design Studio
Atlanta, Georgia

b1gy1n
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: gn15 traction

The scale of things

Postby b1gy1n » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:12 pm

I agree with what both Tom,and Steve say about the scales but you surely must make or buy what you like,or scratchbuild.

I like both thats why i have models from both Steve and Tom.

as for Tom's remark on line drawing with pencil i agree you cant beat it,theres something about a line drawing and to qoute from

Tom's Gn15 Loco handbook "its infectious " both are the models and handbook.

:lol: :D

Marc W
marc

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:12 am

The discussion that has taken place above has been interesting to read through as a whole and as a first visit.
The loose guide lines of Gn15 with its option to choose a scale of between "X" and"Y" for me adds to its charm.

I like the models that are built around Steve Bennett's products and the "scale"that they suggest. Every thing else that goes with them should fit this scale. such as wagons ,loads etc.
At the Norfolk Group meetings we see some models which are perfect for the world the models of this size create.

My little railway world is a little more brash and robust but I try to keep it all within the "my "scale world.
My parameters are governed by what I "feel is right" for my railway concept
and while two (or as many as you like) different railway worlds do not marry well together what they have in common to me seems to fit well under the banner of Gn15. I see more in common than what is different.
Minimum radius curves are interesting but I do not see them as a criteria one way or another

To me the group is a great help on the steep learning curve called modelling. The variety of first class work produced across the board keeps my interest, and spurs me to keep going.
Its big and beautiful Tom and to me "perfectly formed " and thanks to the label Gn15 we have the pleasure of seeing it.

Ralph

Even out of step with himself.

MilesB
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby MilesB » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:53 pm

tom yorke wrote:...and then there will be a Forney on the Bachmann OF loco. Then there's the "super power". Two 2-8-0's. Talk about really "pushing" it.

I'll await these with interest - especially the minimum gauge Forney.

A few years ago Kennebunk Models anounced a range of On18 stock - including a compact 0-4-4 Portland type Forney (for which there was a side view) which was really tempting - but they never materialised.

Of course, you then have to get past the thought of 'vandalising' some expensive loco's to get your chassis!

Miles

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:02 am

Tom

Have you any pictures of your stock with a figure along side them so as to give us a chance to judge scale.

I also model on the larger side of small, (if you know what I mean :!: )

Ralph

tom yorke
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: ind. ng, small locos, miniatures

Postby tom yorke » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:55 pm

Miles and Ralph,
I will shoot a few more shots of my big stuff with some figures soon. I also have more progress on the low 0-6-0T and storage battery loco. As far as butchering an expensive model to get the mechanism goes............ The Forney is about $135. That isn't so much for a mechanism if you purchased it by itself is it? This way you get a free boiler and other parts to sell to On30ers. A Black Beetle is around $80 or so. An outside frame 2-4-4T chassis complete for $135 isn't a stretch really.

I'm going to start "to finish" my 0-6-2 tender Jung/Couillet (inspired) loco first before moving on to the Forney. The tender is done thus far. I should have made it a little lower and a little wider, but that is what hindsight is for I guess! I wish I could spend the time and do proper outside frames for these conversions but time is at a premium around here and I am lucky to get done what I do I suppose. Sir Arthur would spin in his grave if he saw what I was doing! However, it is fun.

Tom
Tom Yorke

Thomas A Yorke Design Studio

Atlanta, Georgia

John
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: trains,camping,fishing,motorcycles

Postby John » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:51 am

I too agree with tom about a drawn line, my age puts me at the leading
edge of gen-X and I can't get any drawing program to work, so I always
go right back to pencil and paper. I was lucky enough when I went to
school to complete my carpenters apprenticeship to have the use of "lines"
with the saying-"if you can draw it, you can build it!"

John

MilesB
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby MilesB » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:01 am

tom yorke wrote:The Forney is about $135. That isn't so much for a mechanism if you purchased it by itself is it? This way you get a free boiler and other parts to sell to On30ers. A Black Beetle is around $80 or so. An outside frame 2-4-4T chassis complete for $135 isn't a stretch really.

Tom

Forney's are not the equivalent of $135 in the UK - which would be about £70... in general in the UK we pay in pounds what you guys pay in dollars (ouch :shock: ). For example
http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Bachmann/ ... forney.htm

I've got two of them with sound - and whilst I will modify them, they are staying On30!

I suspect most of us would start with a US 0-4-0 and tender (Mehano or Model Power) - much cheaper - and bodge from there.

Miles

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:01 pm

Micromark has 'em for about 208USD with sound! Probably cheeper at Trainworld!
Edit: I have spoken to a couple of small American manufacturers (Grandtline comes to mind) as I order stuff from them. One of Cliff's daughters seemed particularly interested in G-scale on HO track! She said she would bring it up at their next "board" meeting, and was going to check out Gnatterbox! I hope more small manufacturers will produce a few kits for us less talented but very zealous GN15ers so that we can do more kit building, and less scratch building. For those of U who have the ability, I am in awe! But I am still attempting to build a layout as best I can!
Doc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

MatthewJBrown
'boxer
'boxer

Postby MatthewJBrown » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:10 pm

MilesB wrote:Forney's are not the equivalent of $135 in the UK - which would be about £70... in general in the UK we pay in pounds what you guys pay in dollars (ouch :shock: ). For example
http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Bachmann/ ... forney.htm

Surely there must be ways of getting one cheaper, e.g. online order from the US, or from ebay sellers who buy in the US and sell in the UK?

That much of a price spread says there's a profit to be made while still undercutting the UK dealers.

-Matt
Matthew J. Brown

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:50 pm

There's no guarantee that profit can be made Matt as one guy in UK has found out. When I was trying to buy an On30 Gas Mechanical from States he was always overbidding me. I kept a watch as he seemed to be be buying large numbers of these and other Bachmann On30 Locos. Sure enough awhile later they began to appear on UK eBay BUT didn't sell. He pitched "Buy-It-Now" price too high. They're somewhat lower now and I doubt that he's making much. One also has to contend with our Customs & Excise who can catch you for 17.5% VAT plus there's a hefty collection charge to be paid to Post Office when they deliver.
Then if you're selling on eBay stuff bought for resale there's the Taxman to contend with - they're checking up on high throughput Sellers these days.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:13 am

Hi all
I just got a "silent" Forney delivered to Australia - I did some waiting and some last minute sniping on e-bay to pick one up for approx US$90 plus freight. In the last month this ebay outlet has been selling them at US$130 " buy it now" plus freight to the UK of another US$29. At auction over the last month prices have ranged from $US90.56(mine) to US$113.50.

The outside frame units are Bachmann no's 25476 (Sandy River) and 25478 (Black-No road) and both have a steel cab. The inside framed units are Bachmann number 25477(Sandy River) and 25479(Black-no road) both have wood cabs.

Currently this site has available for "Buy It Now"
25476 - 25
25477 - 25
25478 - 25
25479 - 24

The Sound equiped units appear, one of each type, about twice per month. These are listed at $US220 "Buy it Now" and have gone for about US$180 each. The Bachmann numbers for the Sound equipped units are:
25494 - Sandy River - Outsde frame - 17 available
25495 - Sandy River - Inside frame - 19 available
25499 - No Road, black - Inside frame - 19 available

For a "convenience factor" of about $US30 more you can have one now rather than muck around with the auctions

and the site
http://stores.ebay.com/THE-FAVORITE-SPOT_ON30-SCALE-TRAINS_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ5QQftidZ2QQsclZ1QQtZkm

Them's the data as at now, what you do with it is up to you, but so far I have had no trouble. My "Forney" will be changing scale and wheel arrangement but not to GN15.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:04 am

Yes The Favorite Spot is one of my favorite spots on Ebay and Gerry has used them as well, but you are right if you watch you can get deals from them.

Scott B

b1gy1n
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: gn15 traction

pounds for dollars

Postby b1gy1n » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:18 pm

hi as already been stated that prices in the UK against the USA are pound for dollar ie $135 equates to £135 in the UK,hence the saying rip off britain,when are dealers going to stop this in the uk,thats why i have started buying in the US,for somethings not all.

regards Marc
marc

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: NG Railways, Pre-1968 BR (LMR)

Postby Dave Westall » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi Marc,

I've been told that the UK '$=£' pricing is due yet again to our 'friend' the taxman.
Dealers have to pay import tax where as private individuals don't. That is on top of the usual 'Vodka and Tonic' at 17.5%

Incidentally 'The Favourite Spot' seems to be changing over to a 'Buy-it-now' mode of selling.

Dave
May your wheels never rust.

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:12 pm

Dave and Pat Westall wrote:Hi Marc,

I've been told that the UK '$=£' pricing is due yet again to our 'friend' the taxman.
Dealers have to pay import tax where as private individuals don't. That is on top of the usual 'Vodka and Tonic' at 17.5%

Incidentally 'The Favourite Spot' seems to be changing over to a 'Buy-it-now' mode of selling.

Dave

VAT = "Vague additions (to) Total"
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:10 pm

don't just blame the dealers for rip off Britain. The RRP for the bachmann Davenport is about £60 in UK so the trade price from Bachmann is therefore about £40 plus VAT :twisted: , certainly for smaller shops. Some bigger shops may be able to get better trade terms
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:23 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:don't just blame the dealers for rip off Britain. The RRP for the bachmann Davenport is about £60 in UK so the trade price from Bachmann is therefore about £40 plus VAT :twisted: , certainly for smaller shops. Some bigger shops may be able to get better trade terms

Unfortunately you are right Simon, the price from Bachmann UK is higher for shops, than buying from places like the Favourite Spot, though it is a little less than your guestimate above :wink: . I got together with my local shop a while ago to get a carton of Davenports from Walthers in the US, it was cheaper after duty etc than buying them here. For one offs for customers though, he buys from the same place we do, go figure :roll: .
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Postby andrew milner » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:42 am

I think a big part of the pricing is the usual for most things in this country (MP's paying their families from our taxes, political correctness gone mad, an unelected Prime Minister etc etc) WE LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT :shock: I agree with the comments on here and have also bought from the U.S. but what we should do is petition Bachmann etc and boycott them until they sort it out :wink:
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

Return to “Modelling Matters”