Page 1 of 1

(F) Gnot-a-Gnat

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:36 am
by Bilco
My first attempt at a Gn15 loco. I like the look of the Gnat, so I went down to MOMING07 to see Mr. Bennett and do some buying. Being too tight to buy his kit, I bought the 'Loco underframe kit for 34mm BEC-Kits', the flat-top radiator, the ballast weights, and the Loco Parts Kit No 1. The basis for Gnot-a-Gnat is the main part of the underframe kit, but I made my own side-frames. I did some unspeakable things to the radiator, and made the engine compartment and cab sheets to fit the underframe, to look like the Gnat but with a twist.

I was a bit over-ambitious -- I wanted to build the loco and do some of the clever weathering effects I'd seen in the postings on the GnATTERbox and other web sites. Painting didn't go well, as I changed my mind about what colour to paint the beast at frequent intervals. Then I tried weathering effects with enamels, acrylics, pastels and weathering powders (note to self -- use the KISS principle). Most of the weathering was done in panic-stricken attempts to cover up the mistakes from the previous botch.


This shot shows the loco and driver, pretending that was how I meant it to be all along.


A shot of the cab, disguising the fact that I failed to get the whole loco into frame.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the result, but gawd how the photos show up the faults!

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:24 pm
by Bilco
1. Figures:

The two driver figures are adaptations of Schleich figures -- the male seated driver and the female carrying a bucket:


Before and After:

The male is William Ekerslyke (Willy to his friends) -- he just needed the left leg lifting a bit, left arm dropping a bit, right arm moving out from the body a bit, and the head turned to the left a bit. Then a repaint, leaving the eyes as Schleich painted them as I couldn't do them that well, fitting with of Mr. Bennett's finest hard-hats and a fag in the corner of his mouth to finish.

The female is his sister Dorothy Desiree Ekerslyke (Didi to her friends), who needed some more radical surgery. There is some fine detail around the shoulders which I didn't want to lose, so I just cut the arms off at the ends of the rolled up sleeves and rotated them slightly to get the sort of position I wanted. The head was turned slightly left, which needed some care to cut through the join between the pony tail and neck. The big job was making a standing figure sit. I made v-cuts in the front of the upper thighs and single cuts from the back, off-set so that there was a thin bit of plastic left to act as a hinge when bending the legs to the new position, and v-cuts in the back of the knees. Wedges of plasticard were put in the rear of the thighs and the whole super-glued in position. When it was dry a large lump of Milliput went into reshaping her derriere. I felt I needed some prototype research in this area, which earned me some strange looks and a clip around the ear from mai laidy waif. Again, the figure was repainted and crowned with a hard-hat.

2. Control levers: These were made from plastic-covered paperclips, which give the right thickness. The knob on the top was made by mixing up a small amount of Araldite Rapid, dipping in the end of the lever and rotating the wire while pulling it out. If the knob was slightly misshapen I waited until the Araldite was going off and gently pressed it on a sheet of glass to get the shape required. The shaft were painted silver, then washed with dilute matt black, and the knob painted with BR Maroon. The throttle levers were produced in the same way, using pins.

3. Instrument Panel: On Gnot-a-Gnat the panel is by Mr. Bennett, but I reduced the height of the rims of the dials by gentle sanding, and thinned the rims from the inside of the dial with a large drill bit -- quarter-inch? -- gently twirled between the fingers. Then a small blob of Blu-Tak was pressed into the resulting shallow conical depression. The instrument faces were another Bennett production -- I found them on the GnATTERbox (sorry -- can't recall the thread). They appeared in black on white, and I printed one set like this and another in negative image to the size required, on glossy photo paper. The required dial was punched out and pressed gently onto the Blu-Tak, which holds it in position. For the Deutz I made up the panel with a scrap of plasticard and a thin slice from plastic tubing of suitable diameter. The throttle box on the Deutz is Mr. Bennett's, and the other is scraps of plasticard.

Right -- that's enough for one post -- I'll get some construction photos together for another day.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:38 pm
by Bilco
Someone asked for constuction photos, so here goes:


The underpinnings, showing the new sideframes. I made three sets -- first with a 34mm wheelbase, symetrically disposed around the centreline -- the wheels didn't line up; then, after I measured the BEC-Kit unit, a set with a 35mm wheelbase symetrically disposed around the centreline -- the wheels didn't line up; then, after I measured the unit again, a set with wb 35mm assymetrically disposed around the centreline. The square nuts are from the Cambrian Models set of NBW castings, which have been very useful in the construction of my locos.


The engine compartment and radiator in position, showing the additions to Mr. Bennett's perfectly good radiator.


The cab added.


Fresh from the paintshop, before the horrors of weathering began.

Re: (F) Gnot-a-Gnat

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:16 pm
by Bilco
Another Flickr album showing the lost PB photos of Gnot-a-Gnat and Wot-the-Deutz ...