new layout : maple shack

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

franckcombe
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: computer architecture train

new layout : maple shack

Postby franckcombe » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:36 pm

I 'm building a my first layout in gn15 (and it's my second layout in my life because the first one was at on30 scale). It's supposed to be a maple shack located in quebec (canada) in 1972. The maple shack is called "l'érablière du lac".

The layout that inspired my come from the excellent carendt site. The layout will run in dc and dcc.

Here you can see some photos of the layout

some details of the tracks

some details of the evaporators that will be equipped with simulated fire and smoke generators:

Alan
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railway Modeling, Good Wine and Plentiful Food

Postby Alan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:05 pm

I like this, especially the trackwork. The CD turntable and the traverser are very neat, as is the simple idea of including the rerailer beside the fiddle yard.
Alan Rogers, CEO of Chagrin Mines - Gn15
Annoying Questioner of Established Protocol & Procedure

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:19 pm

Frank,

Carl had an article published in the modelling press that he had in PDF format. If you PM him he may be able to send you a copy.

Simon.

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:24 pm

I like the simple track plan and the back area interchange will give you much oppertunity to run lots of lo different stock. That is a pretty large maple shack or perhaps that is the warehouse? The reducer(s) put off alot of moisture so lots of roof vent are needed.

Scott B

franckcombe
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby franckcombe » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:38 pm

My inspiration comes f a layout published in carl arendt site called "bott's cotton gin tram". I just add a transfer table hidden in the farm and add a fuel and sanding facilities. I changed also the theme because now it's a maple shack located in Quebec (Canada). It's certainly the influence of the sap line project (also seen in carendt's site) and an old visit 12 years before that I done in Canada.

For the moisture evacuation there are two chemines not showing for the moment (one for the moisture and one for the fire). In order to understand how the layout runs you can see the photo with the comments.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:47 pm

I like this Franck. You have packed a lot into a small space and it should give you plenty of operation. Should be fun doing the scenics too, lots of possibilities for detailing. Looking forward to seeing more :) .
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

franckcombe
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby franckcombe » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:06 pm

Thanks Steeve.

I try to compressed all for having a maximum of operation possible in 97cm by 52 cm (39 inch by 21 inch). I planned to finished it in june/july.

You can see also my project with your Loco Under frame Kit and cab

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=3695

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanks for giving the size Franck, i did mean to ask :roll: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

crcepelak
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: trains, narrow gauge, fire trucks, flyfishing, camping

Postby crcepelak » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:00 am

Liking the evaporator a lot. Keep it up!
-Cory
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:17 am

Gnow U need to double the size of the layout so U can make thousands of Maple trees and run bright orange tubing from each of them to the collection point, or hang lots of buckets and spouts........! Oops, my brother in law owns and runs a sugar house in southern Vermont! I have learned more than I want to know about making maple syrup and sugar, but used to love sugar on snow when we lived there! Thats really nice work and a big operation! Maybe my brother in law would put in a railroad to gather sugar! Nice memories!
Doc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:21 am

Maple Syrup :!: :!:
That is a brilliant idea, so much more exciting than a mushroom farm with a lot more interesting buildings and processes :!: :!:

I suppose that I could expand it into a mushroom soup factory :?

Ralph

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:42 am

Trust me! The money is in mushrooms! U gneed 60 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup! Rather labor intensive, and many folks do it for family and friends. Its quite hard work! A railroad would help, but poly tubing really makes the job somewhat easier!
Doc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Rockley Bottom » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:13 am

Another dream shattered :shock: :shock:

Back to the mushrooms then :cry: :cry:

Ralph

franckcombe
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby franckcombe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:43 pm

In this layout in planned to have one conifer in the left part and one huge tree in the right part to hide the loop.

For the maple tree, if you plan to do tree try the site http://www.tasca-modellismo.com/english/item4.html
that produced super plants and leaves (even maple one)

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:35 pm

franckcombe wrote:For the maple tree, if you plan to do tree try the site http://www.tasca-modellismo.com/english/item4.html
that produced super plants and leaves (even maple one)

:D I see they have added some new ones. The grape vines and olive leaves look tempting for a Greek Island based setting, something I have been thinking about for a while :roll: . Might be the push I needed to get started :) .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:37 pm

Man! That looks like work! (paper leaves) How the heck do U paint them? What ever happened to a foliage net and sprinkle leaves? Life is too short to color individual tiny leaves! (Or I'm too lazy!)
Doc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Rockley Bottom » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Hi Doc

You just have to keep taking the pills :evil: :evil: Just like me :!: :!:

Do it in short spells and take a break by doing some rivets :D :D

I expect it quicker than trying to grow a bonsai tree which can take 300 years :? :?

Ralph

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:28 pm

docnjoj wrote:Man! That looks like work! (paper leaves) How the heck do U paint them? What ever happened to a foliage net and sprinkle leaves? Life is too short to color individual tiny leaves! (Or I'm too lazy!)
Doc

:lol: Yes, doing a whole layout like it would be a quick route to the asylum, but a few extra detailed foreground or accent trees can give the whole layout a lift and make it look like it is all detailed like it.

Painting each leaf would be hard work, I stain a whole bunch at a time. Not tried these frets that Franck linked to yet, but it should be simple to stain the whole sheet before removing the leaves, sticking them on could take a while though :wink: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:39 pm

Yeah Steve! U couldnt sprinkle them unless U painted both sides. Maybe one tree is about what I could handle!
Doc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:42 pm

Rockley Bottom wrote:Hi Doc

You just have to keep taking the pills :evil: :evil: Just like me :!: :!:

Do it in short spells and take a break by doing some rivets :D :D

Ralph

Cute, Ralph!
Doc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

clive_t
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Garden Railways

Postby clive_t » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:45 pm

Franck, I'm intrigued by your use of a CD for a turntable - the contact strips in the middle of the track, and the other photo with the switch diagram between them suggest to me that you are automating the turning of that table - can you elaborate a bit on that? Or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick ?

Nice idea if it works - could be the first and only time I ever use an AOL CD!
Clive

Portsmouth, UK

Visit the Scampington and Chipside Garden Railway at http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk/ - Now with added Gn15!

See the works in progress at http://scgrbuild.blogspot.com/

franckcombe
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby franckcombe » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:46 pm

for the turntable, there is the contact strips in the middle of the track which is link to a dpdt in order to do turn of 360 ° degree to reverse the direction of the loco.

But if you don't need to reverse the direction of the loco you don't need it.

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:58 pm

In regards to the Tasco die cut paper foliage, has anyone ordered any from them and are they worth ordering?

Scott B

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:11 pm

clive_t wrote:Franck, I'm intrigued by your use of a CD for a turntable - the contact strips in the middle of the track, and the other photo with the switch diagram between them suggest to me that you are automating the turning of that table - can you elaborate a bit on that? Or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick ?

Nice idea if it works - could be the first and only time I ever use an AOL CD!

Clive, if you have not seen them, there are a couple of articles on Carls site which will give more info on CD turntables and getting power to the rails. Take a look here

http://carendt.com/articles/FAQs/CDtable.html

http://carendt.com/articles/FAQs/draincapTT.html

I'm pleased to say, the original concept came from this forum, if I recall correctly, first thought up by Simon Andrews and appeared in this topic.

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=631

Hope this helps.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

clive_t
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Garden Railways

Postby clive_t » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:15 pm

Thanks Steve, that's very kind of you. Definitely food for thought there...

If only I had jumped on the ill-fated 'video disc' bandwagon from the '80's (fore-runner of the DVD for those too young to remember), I might have had a use for one of those massive platters now...
Clive

Portsmouth, UK

Visit the Scampington and Chipside Garden Railway at http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk/ - Now with added Gn15!

See the works in progress at http://scgrbuild.blogspot.com/

Return to “Modelling Matters”