Ambasador Works... Chocolate Box Micro

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Ambasador Works... Chocolate Box Micro

Postby Colin Peake » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:43 pm

I thought I ought to finally break cover on my 1/24th (or Gn15 depending on what's running/who's looking) micro. This is in fact Mk2, Mk 1 was on a cardboard baseboard which despite proving it's concept (indeed it survived striping down), didn't work out as intended.

A certain person suggested trying again and looking for something else I found my electrical bits box, a Ferrero Roche box left over from last Christmas. I would like to point out that my wife was the owner, not me, but I bought them with an eye on the box, a nice flat 12" by 6" ish container.

So here we are, the bottom of the box forms the scenic area, whilst the lid forms an oversize 'sector cassette' with room to store spare wagons, loads etc so they don't get in the way of the sliding action. The plastic container makes it easy to slide the two parts along each other. The outer rails on the scenic section have tabs on them to stop overslide and align the tracks accurately. I still need to wire everything together electrically but track feeds are in place.

The trackbed is foamcore, raised on lengths of 7mm stripwood recovered from the streets after bonfire night.

A close-up of the scenic section, track was first sprayed with red oxide car primer, follwed by a light coat of matt black, then a dust of grey primer aimed at the sleepers:

A close up of the 'sector cassette', the track area was sprayed matt black for neatness, I must touch the edges in....:

Jumping many steps, the track is now ballasted and the area around landscaped, scenically treated and grass 'grown'. The grass is my usual method of hanging basket liner and IMHO ooks very effective in this scale:

The star of the show, and the reason I was convinced to build the layout:

Just in case anyone was unsure of the size of the layout:

The unfilled space at the back of the layout is due to gain some removable buildings, at present I am unsure what the setting will be, industrial or perhaps an estate railway in the 1960s...

So now we know why the Ambasador serves Ferrero Roche*... to build micro layouts in the boxes...!!

Colin

*for the younger readers, I suggest you look up old Ferrero Roche adverts on YouTube :lol:
Last edited by Colin Peake on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

shortliner
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby shortliner » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:11 pm

Colin, a question if you will - does the sector plate /traverser slide within the tray, or does the complete tray slide along against the "layout"?
.....enquiring minds, you know! :shock:

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:18 pm

Hi Jack,

The complete lid slides, allowing the free space to be used for storage of anything not in use and keep it out of the way 8)

Colin
Colin Peake

bluey1989
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bluey1989 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:19 pm

Looks good Colin, trouble is these things get your mind working over time.

Could you tell me a little about the loco, make etc... as it looks fab.

Andy

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:37 pm

Ooooh, looks great now you have put the grass on there Colin. Now getting an idea of how it is going to shape up. It already makes a nice display piece on which to put your Lister. With the removeable backdrop/building, I suppose you could have several different settings, industrial, estate, agricultural, whatever takes your fancy really.

Now you got me thinking, using the Ferrero Roche box with plug in cassettes, rather than using the top, could be two layouts from one box. Or maybe even scenic both halves of the box and have them join for a 24" long layout. Oh hell, can see I will have to eat a box of chocolates :lol: maybe even more :lol: .
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:54 pm

The basket liner looks really good, Colin, I'm looking forward to see what you do with the backdrop. Will it be modelled, like a building, or a photo-backscene?

Mum's a teacher and at the end of every year she gets snowed under Ferrero Roches...only trouble is, she hates them :? We tend to throw them away and just keep the rather useful boxes they come it :)

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:26 pm

monstermunch1982 wrote:Could you tell me a little about the loco, make etc... as it looks fab.

Think Colins offline at the moment, here is the link to his Lister build
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=3792
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi Colin,
That grass is exceptional :!:
Do you buy them in green colours, or do you have to spray it first?

And what is the method of sticking it down? Do you pull it apart in chunks, and then glue to the layout, or do you glue down a big area and pull it away to get the standing up effect???

You have got a good standing up effect, much better than static grass in my onion.

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi Glen,

The particular product I use, from Wilkinson's hardware stores in the UK, is called 'Moss Effect Hanging Basket Liner' and comes ready coloured green. The shades vary a bit over the piece which is an advantage :wink: Now is often the time to get it before they wheel the gardening stuff out of the way to make way for Christmas stock (I'm not joking).

Before use I usually brush the sheet over with a wire brush to bring some of the fibres up, and cut it into pieces the size I need, but usually 2" max in each dimension.

I usually prepare the area by painting dark brown or adding earth coloured ground foam (depending on how fussy I am being). Then apply a coat of neat PVA and press down the pieces of liner, not too lightly but not too hard. After 3 hours the PVA is usually set enough to begin peeling off the upper layers and gradually removing excess to produce realistic looking grass. It can be trimmed using scissors or for mown effect a fresh disposable razor can be used.

There are other uses for the stuff but that is the method I have used here...

HTH

Colin
Colin Peake

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:42 pm

Thanks for that great description Colin.

I have seen hanging baskets over here made of the natural brown colour.
Not sure if there is green available or not; that area of the shop in not one I usually frequent :wink:
I will have to pay more attention now; although it is the middle of winter at the moment (snow down to 200meters today) so I suspect the range of those products available at this time of year will not be great.

Anyway I am going to give this a try sometime, so Thanks.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:55 am

Just love your new 'centerfold'. Wish my local paper came with such gems :lol:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:58 am

"Ah Monsieur Peake! With this micro you are really spoiling us!" Great work Colin, must get some basket liners the grass looks very realistic 8)

Simon

cornelius
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Modelling in 009 but giving narrower gauges in large scales envious glances

Postby cornelius » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:40 am

Great stuff. For some reason I am imagining bespoke Ferrero Roche-carrying wagons in the style of molten steel tubs.
Stephen ~ Fairlight blog

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:Ooooh, looks great now you have put the grass on there Colin. Now getting an idea of how it is going to shape up. It already makes a nice display piece on which to put your Lister. With the removeable backdrop/building, I suppose you could have several different settings, industrial, estate, agricultural, whatever takes your fancy really.

Yes, the potential of alternative sets of buildings hasn't gone unnoticed, one thought was that by keeping scale specific things on the building sections the same layout could be used in 0-16.5, 1/32nd etc as well...

My thoughts are leaning towards an estate line at the moment, something that has evolved beyond a pleasure railway, into a common carrier, then moved over to i/c power with the Lister being the latest purchase. Would allow scope for future layouts based on the same theme in a larger space...

Colin
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:39 pm

Well, after a break in Norfolk, I've finally got around to mocking up a couple of alternative ideas for buildings and scenarios.

Firstly, my previously favoured estate line scenario:

A little light industry:

I must admit, I am now more tempted towards the industrial scene than estate, although I am useless at coming up with purposes for industrial lines!!

Colin
Sadly I have somehow lost the original images for this post, the thumbnails are all I have been able to recover :(
Colin Peake

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: GN15!, Zak and Travis my Border Collies, Steam Rallies and Canals.

Postby Bob Taylor » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:46 pm

Why not do both, or more and make them interchangeable dependent on your mood.

Bob.
maybach52.taylor@googlemail.com.

Gn15: Remember SIZE does matter! and may all your gauges be little ones.

Gnine: Narrow your horizons!

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:49 pm

found the hanging basket liner in my local wilkinsons today it's currently marked down to half price so about £0.70
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://suttonboningtongallery.com/soar-valley-garden-railway/
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:57 pm

Hmmmmm, I like both Colin, but it wont surprise you when I say the industrial one has the edge. As for what the industry is, does it matter :lol: . I couldnt decide when I built my little Vanguard Works, so took the easy option of just shuffling cardboard boxes around, with the works name on them. I have no idea what is inside them :wink: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:21 pm

No suprise there Steve ;) I have grown to like the industrial setting a little more, and it would also provide a better background for photography...

Point taken re boxes, a useful dodge, how about 'Ambasador Works' ?!

Thanks to everyone for their quick responses, I only moved away from the PC to eat tea...

Colin
Colin Peake

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:48 pm

Colin, for what its worth I prefer the industrial setting - this layout looks about the size i should be aiming for :)
Gordon F

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:29 pm

Colin Peake wrote:No suprise there Steve ;) I have grown to like the industrial setting a little more, and it would also provide a better background for photography...

Point taken re boxes, a useful dodge, how about 'Ambasador Works' ?!

Thanks to everyone for their quick responses, I only moved away from the PC to eat tea...

Colin

Hi Colin,
'Ambasador Works' -Worldwide Suppliers of Widgets, Gadgets and Doohickys - all in suitably different coloured boxes, of course :wink:
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:17 am

Colin Peake wrote:Point taken re boxes, a useful dodge, how about 'Ambasador Works' ?!

We have the technology :wink:

This is very low resolution, will email a bitmap version if you want to use it.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

andrew blackwell
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Minimum gauge, Narrow gauge, Mountain biking

Postby andrew blackwell » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:49 am

I think it would look good with a large greenhouse as a backdrop, maybe full of large tomato plants on an industrial scale. Shed at front/side to house boiler for heating greenhouse, with heavy pipework for hot water going into greenhouse to circulate, & finer pipework for watering the plants. Couple of roof vents open. etc
Fruitboxes laden with toms would be an attractive load.

Andrew

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:04 pm

Fruitboxes laden with toms would be an attractive load.

If you want a few tiny ones I still have the mould - come to think of it I still have some Mooli seeds left - make good plum tomatoes, though I say it myself.

Both versions of scenery look good to me, but the loading dock is kind of persuasive. You could use the same branding for both: the ambassador's estate grows something, and the estate version is where they are brought from the fields to the railway: the loading shed is at the tradesman's entrance to the gardens, just by the glasshouses (out of view, left...) with a road at the rear where the produce is loaded onto a cart, steam-wagon or lorry depending on your preference - just stick a picture at the rear, the limitations on sight angles and a well positioned figure will take care of the perspective.

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:57 pm

Great concept Colin. I like both the mock ups and am tempted to try something similar in a number of other scale / gauges, maybe using a video box as suggested by Bob Blackcloud.

Simon.

Return to “Modelling Matters”