Ambasador Works... Chocolate Box Micro

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:16 pm

Thanks for the comments on the couplings folks, might be worth further trials when I get time. I may well consider trying to see if a dummy 'chopper' style front can be added to the Bachmann coupling. For heigh setting I have an old Triang wagon with one of these couplings that acted as coupler height gauge in my OO work.

Those who know the Bachmann range will know that some stock has a dropped shank coupling sat in a NEM pocket (consequently set higher than NEM standard :roll: ). This actually fits the Lister but looks very odd!

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Pandy
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: most things narrow gauge

Postby Pandy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Hmmm, think we might have to look into suppliers for these couplings :) Although we want to get away from the "toy" image they dont look too bad plus we already have some OO chassis/donor wagons that have tension lock couplers fitted. plus with the current acute financial cramp they may just have the edge over other types.................
Dave & Lorraine, more ideas than space, time & finance permit !

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:53 pm

Time, as ever, for a quick update....

A couple of weeks ago I played around with the 'Ambassador' printy boxes Steve drew up, and ended up making different designs, colours etc to add some variety. I took the opportunity to re-do the doorway to the building and remove any question of how the crates were stacked.

I've also painted up my scratchbuilt 'estate' style wagon which has come up rather well. I have also finally had the chance to experiment with couplings in true 15" fashion...

...but I think they deserve a topic of their own!

Colin
Colin Peake

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:01 pm

I like the boxes, the variety in colour and design is effective. They're framed nicely by the doorway 8)
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:00 pm

The way you have stacked the boxes looks really natural Colin.
You end up being so distracted looking at the range of colours and angles due to the way they are stacked, that you don't even notice that the shed has no depth to it.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:58 am

Colin Peake wrote:A couple of weeks ago I played around with the 'Ambassador' printy boxes Steve drew up, and ended up making different designs, colours etc to add some variety.

Damn, think I need to add some variation to mine now, :roll: they look really good in different colours. Great idea Colin.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:02 pm

Thanks for the comments about the boxes, more will be required in due course to load all the wagons scuttling about the works.

Wagons? More than one?! Yup!! :D Impressed with how the flat wagon turned out I have started work on another three wagons to the same basic design. As with the first (which has had a gestation period of years) they are based on underframe parts (well, solebars and 'W' irons) from OO gauge kit wagons.

Two two-plank versions with Airfix mineral wagon kit underpinnings, and one flat with Parkside parts hidden away underneath.

One of the two-plankers. Lots of detail still to add, including wood grain, more strapping, bolt heads etc.

Side view for the size curious. This one actually incorporates underframe parts used for a second wagon when the first was started all those years ago. Not sure why that one got scrapped!

More pictures as they progress....

Colin
Colin Peake

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:12 pm

Nice work Colin, I like the proportions, did you use what we discussed some time back :?:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:47 am

Steve Bennett wrote:Nice work Colin, I like the proportions, did you use what we discussed some time back :?:

Thanks! Yes, just about that size, from memory they are 58x40mm :lol: they are probably the biggest Ambassador works can handle, but I think a longer train on a bigger layout would look pretty neat too. One day... one day...

Colin
Colin Peake

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Sat May 16, 2009 10:35 am

Just a quick post to say I've really enjoyed reading through this thread Colin - spent a very enjoyable cup of coffee and a half hour or so simply immersing myself into your Thoughts, trials, and tribulations. Great to follow along as you've pondered and considered - changed your mind and ruminated why?

........... Just Great.

Smashing, thanks................. Andi
KBO .......................... Andi.

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sat May 16, 2009 9:18 pm

Thanks for that Andi, I must say that reading your threads is proving equally absorbing!

There have been developments today on Ambassador Works, all will be revealled soon...

Colin
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sun May 17, 2009 3:51 pm

The other day I was (finally) handed a second Ferrero Roche box and could therefore start work on 'phase 2' of development of Ambassador Works. I have never really got on with using the cassette system so my priority was to incorporate a point to bring the two lines together... luckily my spares box contained a working Peco 0-16.5 point from days of yore and there were a few offcuts of track left over from the original version of the cassette. So here is phase 2 of the layout:

Link to the original part is by fishplates, soldered to the rails of the new section:

All electrical connections are now mde on the new section, including a proper plug-in point for the controller for the first time. Point operation is by slide switch, also changing frog polarity:

The old cassette now forms the headshunt, and it is an inch too short to hold the Lister and three wagons behind the point!

(or bigger here: https://flic.kr/p/ZYV5ku)

Although the layout could still be used in original form, at present I have disconnected the wires on that section, the new set-up is preferable to me :D

More as it develops....

Colin
Colin Peake

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun May 17, 2009 5:01 pm

Colin Peake wrote:More as it develops....

More photos of the layout, or more workbench clutter? :lol:
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun May 17, 2009 5:34 pm

Ok, that gets an official WOW from me :wink:
The extension changes the character of the layout completely and your Lister looks right at home posed on there :)
Am I right in thinking, that it is just under 3' in length overall :?: It certainly looks longer :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

John New
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: railways large and small.

Postby John New » Sun May 17, 2009 5:54 pm

Modular micro's is a very interesting concept to explore further.
John
http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk | http://www.yorkshow.org.uk | http://www.island-publishing.co.uk

Remembering it’s a hobby and I am allowed to smile!

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby dieselwater » Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

I like the new board 8) Do you plan to do more scenic sections in the future to connect to this set up?

David.

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sun May 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:Ok, that gets an official WOW from me :wink:
The extension changes the character of the layout completely and your Lister looks right at home posed on there :)
Am I right in thinking, that it is just under 3' in length overall :?: It certainly looks longer :wink:

Thanks Steve :D Yes, a tad under 3 foot at the moment, each box is a convenient foot long. Dieselwater, there is the chance of another module at some point, however the longer term idea may be something a little more conventional. We shall see...

I have knocked up a quick concept sketch for this section:

Essentially a roadway will dip down over the lines, making the existing pillar a disused gatepost, the road may be blocked off on the other side, I don't know.... The curved roofed structure is a grounded standard gauge wagon body, whilst the run off will be part screened by a corugated iron fence. Well, that's the plan for now... :roll:

Colin
Colin Peake

NeilHB
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Minimum gauge railways, model railways

Postby NeilHB » Sun May 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Colin,

I must say I really like how the layout has developed. Love the idea for the extension, really seems to all fit together nicely.
Think I've got one of these Ferrero Rocher boxes floating around somewhere in my train room, I see an idea forming!

Wonderful work as always.

:D
Neil

Simon Moore
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow and Minimum Gauge Railways, Rock music, Militaria… all sorts

Postby Simon Moore » Sun May 17, 2009 8:44 pm

This is going to look brilliant when it's all put together and scenery added, the first 'board' looks brilliant and the sketch for the second shows it will only add to the looks. I've never seen before what you meant about the Lister being big for the layout Colin but actually seeing the zoomed out view I do see.

Very much look forward to seeing more! :D

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sun May 17, 2009 8:50 pm

I like the sketch Colin. The standard gauge van will make a great talking point.
With regards to the ex-cassette, how about mounting it in a Ferrero Rocher lid and adding rough, dirty coloured varnish and hey presto a bridge surrounded by flood water.
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Mon May 18, 2009 4:14 am

I really like the look of the second half and the ideas for it, looking forward to developments.

I'm itching to build something again now, only a few weeks until we move...
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby dieselwater » Mon May 18, 2009 4:41 am

Gnreat sketch. The layout is gnoing to look fantastic :D

David.

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Mon May 18, 2009 11:45 am

Jon Randall wrote:I like the sketch Colin. The standard gauge van will make a great talking point.
With regards to the ex-cassette, how about mounting it in a Ferrero Rocher lid and adding rough, dirty coloured varnish and hey presto a bridge surrounded by flood water.

Thanks Jon (and all who have commented on the sketch!), I do like that bridge idea, may have to think along those lines as a possibility... we shall see, need to get this phase built first!

Colin

PS, good luck with the move Andy!
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Tue May 26, 2009 8:10 pm

A little update on progress!

Plenty of time, cardboard, newspaper and some treated balsa have been added to the board since the last pictures were taken... and the form of the land is now in place:

What isn't immediately apparent is that the section over the plugs and wiring is removeable to allow access to the wiring if required. This is seen to (slightly) better advantage in this lower level shot:

I have mocked up the grounded van body based on dimensions of a 4mm scale model, hopefully this will sit OK size wise with the existing builing - haven't had the two sections back together yet!

Colin
Colin Peake

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Tue May 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Colin Peake wrote:
I have mocked up the grounded van body based on dimensions of a 4mm scale model, hopefully this will sit OK size wise with the existing builing - haven't had the two sections back together yet!

I've seen the size of Gauge 3 Box vans, they are BIG! :shock:

Like what you are doing Colin :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Return to “Modelling Matters”