"Uncle Buck" the Hillbilly Rail Truck (yee-haw!)

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

"Uncle Buck" the Hillbilly Rail Truck (yee-haw!)

Postby Dallas_M » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:49 am

Howdy y'all --

Well golly gee-willickers, things is happenin here at the Hillbilly Rail Truck fa-cil-it-eee! I'm real busy making making some new On30 kits, so it's important to take a little time out and do some train stuff purely for fun ... and this is it!

The "inspiration" for the project is an On30 rail truck built by my friend Garry Cerrone of GC Design Group:
(Photo copyright Garry Cerrone, posted with his permission)

The "project parameters" (just to please Prof K!) are:
-- Use things that are on-hand (to keep it cheap, fun and easy):
-- Precision Craft On30 Goose mechanism picked up at clearance
-- AMT Beverly Hillbillies truck kit already in the stash
-- Goofy Woodland Scenics fella who needs some mods & repaint
-- And, styrene, etc.

I studied the Goose chassis and a variety of railcar and rail truck photos that I've filed ... and Garry's design was the best "fit" for the mechanism. Here's the early attempt at bashing the Beverly Hillbillies frame to the chassis:

(And yes, the hood or bonnet is held together with scotch tape!)

That was last week, and here's how it looks after a few more brief evening sessions:

Still a lot to do, and it may be slow going ... but I can keep it above the workbench for a gander while doing the other stuff. I'll post more as it develops.

PS -- Yes, I am a John Candy fan! (Thus the "Uncle Buck" name ... not to mention the deer antlers that will be added.) (Oops, I mentioned them.) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

Prof Klyzlr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Aussie NG Logging Tramway fan

Postby Prof Klyzlr » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:11 am

Dear Dallas,

Looking good from here.

And thanks for the "Parameter" list,
if you don't know what your aiming for, you'll never know when/if you hit it... :wink:

I know and agree, often "the journey" is fun in and of itself,
and where you end up is usually just as fun, esp if you aren't 110% Sure where you were heading in the first place,

but as soon as someone says,
"...I don't feel motivated to get to the workbench..."
"...I'm not sure what I want to achieve with this model (therefore I won't do anything)..."
or any number of other familar phrases that imply the Modeller in question is "floundering",

it's time to take the time to state the "Parameters" list for the project,
(Read that again, it's not a mis-type!),

and having stated the target goal,
proceed in that general direction with all haste... :wink:

Can't wait to see the results!
Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:39 am

Prof Klyzlr wrote:...or any number of other familar phrases that imply the Modeller in question is "floundering" ...

Heh, heh! Actually, I almost HAD to take some time out for this project tonight ... I had started to think about the next step to the point that it began to seem complicated! Once I stopped "thinking" and just started "doing" it fell together ... (not that "thinking" should be completely by-passed :) ) ... and I got to a point where it felt like "ah, that's enough for tonight, I'm ready to go back to packing kits."

So along the lines of what you've just said here and previously, if you want to make progress, you've just got to work on it a little bit!
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

Prof Klyzlr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Prof Klyzlr » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:52 am

Dear Dallas,

On my current layout project, I was "stalled" for over 3 months. :cry:

Then I consciously made the decision to do "just 5 minutes a day,
Everyday..."

Amazingly, given only month of this "5 mins a day" approach,
the layout's progress has rocketed ahead :wink:
Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

David James
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Model Railroading

Postby David James » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi Dallas!

Good to see your Gn project started.

Looking forward to following your progress.

I'm a John Candy fan as well.

"Here's a quarter...go down to the docks and have a rat gnaw that thing off yer face!!"

Uncle Buck

LOL!

My GM bash had to go on hold for a week or so...life gets in the way sometimes...but a little here and there does reap results quite well!

Dave

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:16 am

Well, it's a week later and I've had a few more short sessions to make some progress ...
Added diagonal siding (for interest, and also found in a prototype railcar photo) ... added door tracks and built doors ... built a ladder for the left side ... and a tool rack for the right side as shown above.
Detailed the rear end with some Ozark Miniatures castings and brass strip ... still plenty to do, but making little bits of progress as time allows. Looking forward to seeing some paint (even a primer coat!) on this thing ... but think I'd better wait till it's further along! :wink:
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:53 am

Hello Fellow Gnatterboxers --

Enthusiasm is still high ... modeling time is still in short supply ... and I'll bet that sounds awful familiar to at least a few of you! :roll:

Nevertheless, continuing to make progress following Prof K's prescription ... doing a little bit as often as you can gets you a lot closer than just thinking about it ... so on we go ... :)

Most visible: Added a new pilot beam ... installed the pilot from the On30 goose (with screws so I can adjust height if needed) ... added interior and exterior handles to the doors ... and started some prep work on crew figures.

Less visible: more work fitting the auto chassis to the Goose mechanism ... installed a false floor in engine compartment to clear speaker ... and things like that. (Trying to keep a balance between doing the "boring" parts that have to get done and the fun parts that make visible changes!)

Really enjoying all the great posts, ideas and inspiration shared here lately ... helps keep the enthusiasm going between modeling sessions! :)
I'm a little tempted to suddenly build a micro layout, try some brickwork and pursue all the other great ideas presented ... but I suppose I'd better stay focused on this thing for the moment! 8)
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

Prof Klyzlr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Prof Klyzlr » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:05 am

Dear Dallas,

Looking good!
Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:20 am

I like it...

Good idea about the 'Parameters'- I tend to have very fuzzy ideas of how a project will turn out, I ccan see how that would help focus and make it more achievable.

It's remarkable what you can do in 'short sessions' too.
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:33 pm

Another week later and still making little bits of progress ...

Cut the roof from the On30 goose body and modified that to create a new roof for "Uncle Buck" ... added a roof rack using parts from the Beverly Hillbillies truck and some styrene ...

And then the goose pilot looked much too small ... so I built one that looks more like the one on Garry's inspiration model ... also added some racks along the wheel wells to hold tools and "junque" ...

Thanks for the continuing wealth of ideas and inspiration ... it's so tempting to dive into something new. But I'll do my best to finish this one first! :D
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:15 am

I like the way this coming on and its going to be great fun to paint :)
Gordon F

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: GN15!, Zak and Travis my Border Collies, Steam Rallies and Canals.

Postby Bob Taylor » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:32 am

That's going to be an amazing piece of motive power! Love it.

Bob.
maybach52.taylor@googlemail.com.

Gn15: Remember SIZE does matter! and may all your gauges be little ones.

Gnine: Narrow your horizons!

David James
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby David James » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:59 am

Keep plugging along Dallas!

This is looking terrific!

I love how you filled the fender space up with tools and.."Junque". :wink:

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:00 pm

Thanks for the encouraging replies! It's certainly getting easier to visualize the finished model.

At this point, there are a handful of items left before painting:
-- assemble radiator and build motor
-- add some "structural" detail along edge of drive chassis
-- patch in extra lengths of wiring inside so the sound decoder fits in the box properly
-- wire headlight and add some controls inside the cab

Then the fun of painting and weathering begins. I have bits-n-pieces on hand for a couple more Gn15 projects ... but feel proud of myself for not starting those until this one is done or at least fairly close! 8)

I like the new pilot much better ... will save the other one for another project. The "junque" in the wheel wells is inspired by models by my friend Les Davis, who has an award-winning knack for building On30 railcars ... and detailing them wonderfully. It's going to take a lot of "junque" to properly fill that roof rack ... I might even have to add a kitchen sink to avoid the phrase "it's got everything except the kitchen sink." :lol:
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

David James
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby David James » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:16 pm

I might even have to add a kitchen sink to avoid the phrase "it's got everything except the kitchen sink." Laughing

LOL!!

I am very familiar with Les' work Dallas and I think you are on track for one that is on par to his very fine work.

Looking forward to updates and sinks!!! :wink:

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:56 pm

Dallas_M wrote:I might even have to add a kitchen sink to avoid the phrase "it's got everything except the kitchen sink." :lol:

Now that would really worth doing, certainly appeals to my sense of humour :lol:
Now when did aluminium sinks come in :) an old porcelain one up there might not do much for the balance of the railcar :lol:
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:00 pm

They wouldn't have happened to buy that secondhand from Southpass would they? :lol:

Needs an old hound dog somewhere.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:21 pm

Willow Creek Traction wrote:They wouldn't have happened to buy that secondhand from Southpass would they? :lol:

Needs an old hound dog somewhere.

Forrest -- If it ends up looking like it would fit in on the Southpass, I'll be quite pleased ... I really like the style and proportions of John's equipment. PS -- On the way out of the grocery tonight, I noticed they had some "gnearly" G scale dogs in one of the gumball machines ... so I now have a pooch handy just in case.

Steve -- Indeed, the "kitchen sink" would be a funny touch. Looked around at some parts that I have and I can certainly scrounge up something ... like yourself, a little pre-occupied making castings at the moment :wink: ... but this will be a simple little thing to build when I need a short break.
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:00 am

Hi Dallas
All it needs in addition is some faded but elaborate signwriting on the sides - something like
<insert Name here>
Roving Plumber and Fix-it
You Break it, I Make it
Knives and tools sharpened
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:06 am

Oztrainz wrote:All it needs in addition is some faded but elaborate signwriting on the sides - something like
<insert Name here>
Roving Plumber and Fix-it
You Break it, I Make it
Knives and tools sharpened

Hi John --

Which reminds me of another project that I'd like to do ... don't know if the 1960's TV show "Green Acres" made it over there, but there was a "country bumpkin" salesman character named Mr. Haney who drove around in a beat-up old truck peddling all sorts of items ... and he had pull-down signs (like window shades on rollers) for whatever he was hawking at the moment. Probably make something like that as a road vehicle for the layout eventually.
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:40 am

I really like the style and proportions of John's equipment

Hey, you should see me at times sitting on a bucket and measureing around myself to see what fits where :oops: ... :lol:
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: GN15!, Zak and Travis my Border Collies, Steam Rallies and Canals.

Postby Bob Taylor » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:34 am

SOUTHPASS wrote:
Hey, you should see me at times sitting on a bucket and measureing around myself to see what fits where

Now THAT'S a picture!

Bob.
maybach52.taylor@googlemail.com.

Gn15: Remember SIZE does matter! and may all your gauges be little ones.

Gnine: Narrow your horizons!

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:27 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:
Dallas_M wrote:I might even have to add a kitchen sink to avoid the phrase "it's got everything except the kitchen sink." :lol:

Now that would really worth doing, certainly appeals to my sense of humour :lol:
Now when did aluminium sinks come in :) an old porcelain one up there might not do much for the balance of the railcar :lol:

Well, I was half-serious and half-joking when I said that I might include everything AND the kitchen sink ... and Steve's reply was just enough to push me over the edge! (Apparently Steve's comments do that to other people too) :lol:

Haven't made any further progress on the rail truck, but the newest piece of "junque" is ready to go:

Late one night, I dug out some bits-n-pieces that MIGHT make it possible to put together a sink from materials on hand ... set them out on the workbench to be pondered the next day ... then went to brush my teeth and call it a night ... and "found" a G scale sink in the medicine chest:

So, I cut the top off the floss container and added that to the pile ... sure made it easy! Added some plumbing bits from Ozark Miniatures and used N scale brakewheels for knobs ... all geared toward doing as much as possible with stuff on hand.

And, now I can say that my proud modeling accomplishment for the weekend is I made a grubby old sink! :lol:

(Well, I also played with some texture images and printed out a test building side because of that "mildly infectious" Simplicity Sidings virus that's going around ...) (And I cut and painted a piece of foam baseboard just in case the anti-virus doesn't work!) 8)

PS -- To heck with balancing the load, it's getting a big old dirty porcelain sink right on top ... if it falls over, we'll call the Southpass wrecking crew!
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:31 pm

Fantastic bit of ingenuity, Dallas 8)

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer