"Uncle Buck" the Hillbilly Rail Truck (yee-haw!)

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:54 am

Scott -- Neat photo and great prototype! Here's another similar design:

This one provided my prototype "inspiration" (or excuse!) for the diagonal siding on my model. Looking at it again, I guess I could have framed in some windows on my doors ... but that would have been too much trouble for the crew. :wink:

Paul -- Scott's right ... deer are so plentiful in the eastern US/Canada that they're a bit of a nuisance in some areas ... and an outright driving hazard at certain times of the year ... you don't need any sort of weapon to end up with one stretched across your hood :shock: ... or bonnet! :)
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:07 am

Ladies, Gents, Hillfolk and the lot ... a bit more progress after a late-night hobby break ...

Started painting some of the hardware ... here's the back of the truck.

Got the wood tones where I want them ... and this was definitely an all-out bodge :shock: ... I had more-or-less decided to "leave well enough alone" ... then, after painting the brass horn, I got some brass-color paint on my hand and smudged that on the siding. Nothing to lose at that point, so I went ahead with some dabbing and blotting and drybrushing and it all worked out ... hooray! :D

Also painted one of the crew members ... a Dr. Flintbone figure with custom overalls made from Milliput. Trickiest part was deciding on a color for the high heels ... being a bloke it took me ages to realize that the shoes should match the outfit! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:09 am

Excellent work, I'm really looking forward to seeing this finished.
*Insert witty signature here*

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:10 am

Dallas_M wrote:Paul -- Scott's right ... deer are so plentiful in the eastern US/Canada that they're a bit of a nuisance in some areas ... and an outright driving hazard at certain times of the year ... you don't need any sort of weapon to end up with one stretched across your hood :shock: ... or bonnet! :)

Ah, a bit like kangaroos in Australia. Deer are much more elusive in NZ.
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:33 am

DCRfan wrote:Ah, a bit like kangaroos in Australia. Deer are much more elusive in NZ.

If you have an auto/kangaroo collision here ... you won't have to look far to find a very angry zoo-keeper! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

Prof Klyzlr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Aussie NG Logging Tramway fan

Postby Prof Klyzlr » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:10 am

Dallas,

If you hit a Kangaroo here at <40 kilometres/hour,
it <may> simply bounce, leaving a serious dent in the hood/bonnet.

http://flickr.com/photos/30265873@N00/1317457810/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uc_mitch/114575402/

http://onemansblog.com/2007/11/18/kanga ... rcar-race/

If you hit it @ 80 kph, you will write the car off,
and may very well end up with a startled kanga thru the windshield, thrashing around in the car, trying to escape,
(and doing the occupants serious injuries in the process...)

A kanga at speed will also make a mess of an aluminium bullcar,
making heavy steel bullbars mandatory on Road-Train prime-movers[/img]
Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:34 am

And don't even think about what happens if you hit a wombat....
up to 50 kg of low-slung solid grissle is guaranteed to put your front-mounted engine into the back seat....very rapidly :twisted:
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:51 pm

There is a major highway interchange very close by and near the Toronto international airport and it is not uncommon to see deer in side one of the cloverleafs at rush hour!

Dallas the hardware looks very convincing and the wood paint tone is much better just a touch darker, looks really good.

Now between your driver and the loverly but unfeasibly gravity defying passenger one small extra passenger, Arnold the pig because he knows the directions! After all he has had some schoolin.

Found my bachmann On30 railtruck last night... Must resist, have to finish other p r o j e c t s....being pulled uuUuuUu
Scott B

tom yorke
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: ind. ng, small locos, miniatures

Postby tom yorke » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:10 pm

If anyone is interested I have a resin kit for the 1919 Olds truck cab and frame extension. Comes with new floor and "ratty" seat.

Tom
Tom Yorke
Thomas A Yorke Design Studio
Atlanta, Georgia

lenelg
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge, logging

Wildlife..

Postby lenelg » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Deer are small fry.. Here in Sweden, we have around 5000 moose collisions per year. A Swedish bull moose can weigh around 600 kilos (1300 lbs) and stand 6 - 7 ft tall, just right to deliver those 600 kilos thorugh your windshield.

Yes, we also have around 30 000 deer collisions a year, and a thousand involving wild boar.

Lennart Elg (that's Swedish for moose..)
Lennart Elg

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:28 am

Quick note to let y'all know that this hasn't become an abandoned project! Got caught up in the sudden need to build an all-new website in short time. Old site was done with good, old-fashioned html pages ... new site is SQL database and Unix hosting and all that fancy technie-logical stuff ... :shock:

Which, of course, is givin' my noggin a good joggin ... so I'm looking forward to a break where I can just slop around some glue and paint and stick things together and dirty-em-up and all that good fun. :)

Glad to see all the delightful madness continue on the forum ... I've got the hillbilly rail truck right above my main work area to keep the inspiration flowing ... and I'll be back just as soon as my non-Gn15 madness allows! Dang, I sure hope that's soon. 8)

And, to add insult to injury, the postman and a couple local buddies have recently dropped off some "ideal" Gn15 bashing material ... that stuff sure will be fun .... one day! :roll: :wink:
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:14 pm

Look forward to some more gnowings on. Your thread is very gninspiring. 8)
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:02 am

Whew ... it's been a while :oops: ... busy time of year at "work", so I've mostly been enjoying your posts. Now that the Christmas rush is over, I'm taking a little time out for some Gn15 stuff ...

Before undertaking the Uncle Buck project, I started building a 3x6' mini-layout:

This was subsequently buried as the busy season kicked in ... fortunately a team of archeologists stepped in and uncovered the ruins :lol: ... and I've resumed laying track ... more to go, but this will provide a home for Buck to rome. Hoping that I can complete the basic trackwork, then resume progress on the rail truck.

Meanwhile, Santa Claus brought a couple of Bachmann On30 hoppers that might convert nicely for my planned Gn15 tram line:

Thanks again for all the inspiration ... I'm looking forward to a little more Gn15 modeling this winter.

HAPPY GNEW YEAR!
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

jb
'boxer
'boxer

Postby jb » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:06 am

love it, very funny!!
jb
John

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: paradise mining co type modelling

Postby Rowley » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi Dallas
Just been reading up on your model rail truck."Uncle Buck
A great little model and a great inspiration to others
All the best
Rowley
Rowland Sutton

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:18 am

Thanks Rowley --

This project is down to a variety of little painting and finishing items ... things that will be a little easier as the weather warms up. Really looking forward to that. Current plan is to finish up the new critter so I can haul a couple of cars around the new loop ... then finish up the rail truck so I can have some additional operation ...

As usual, more "plans" than time, but making little bits of progress along the way!
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Music, photography, travelling, College Football

Postby foswaldy13 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Dallas, where did the lovely lady figure come from? I need a few sharply dressed females for the office of the brewery.
Matt Oswald

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi Matt,
I don't know where Dallas got his but I got my "Earl" the forkie driver from here.
http://www.seltd.net/ez-catalog/X344897/
He has a lot of female companions, check out Dudez'n'Babez about 1/2 way down. Be prepared to spend some time there :twisted:
I can recommend their service - 1 quick international phone call and it was all sorted and a group of "Earls" were delivered to Australia in less than a fortnight from the far side of the US. :D :D
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi Matt --

She started out as a topless girl called "Succulent Suzie" from the Dr. Flintbone collection.

The Jimmy Flintstone site has bikini-clad girls ... and if you click the Dr. Flintbone link you can see some like Succulent Suzie who are a little less dressed. :shock:

So, my little passenger gal started out as "Suzie" wearing next to nothing ... which was a little too distracting for the crew :shock: ... and I used some Magic Sculpt (same/similar to Milliput) to fashion some overalls (with a bit of "wardrobe malfunction") and a railroad cap. (I did "prototype research" by searching for photos of hippy chicks at Woodstock '99!) Note: Suzie's body is cast in resin ... but her legs and high-heels are cast in metal ... really difficult to get a smooth joint, so the short overalls helped cover that! Overall, really nice "detail" on the castings. :wink:

And, as John mentioned, the SEL site has some rather nice gals ... and I think a few of those ladies will join the crew on the Shoehorn Railroad! :D

PS -- Did a few more drawings (doors/windows) for structure mock-ups and made the first horseshoe to mount on Uncle Buck ... hope to get back into that project soon. Not enough progress on anything to shoot photos ... but having fun with the occasional 5-minute break!
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

Central GnU Yorker
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gas Mechanical Critters, Canals, Water powered mills

Postby Central GnU Yorker » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:38 am

Up from the holler with the blackberry wine and the blueberry tarts!
Brian Collins

Strike while the iron isn't looking

Return to “Modelling Matters”