Simplicity Sidings

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: GN15!, Zak and Travis my Border Collies, Steam Rallies and Canals.

Postby Bob Taylor » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:04 pm

There are a lot of methods being used here, Steve' slabs and Gordon's rendering etc. What I feel would be of great benefit would be a little more explanation please. It seems that has these projects gain momentum there's slightly less and less in the way of information.

This is fully understandable, enthusiasm is a wonderful thing.

Thanks.

Bob.
maybach52.taylor@googlemail.com.

Gn15: Remember SIZE does matter! and may all your gauges be little ones.

Gnine: Narrow your horizons!

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:08 pm

Steve, very happy to answer any question :o

But its not exactly high tech - just good old balsa, shaped then 2 coats of thined dope, sanded and then sprayed with grey primer. Its had about 5 washes of acrylic color while I try to capture that grey/blue tone that you see in fired clay coping stones.

Thats another plus to these layouts, so far i have not spent a penny - just raided the bits box :wink:
Gordon F

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:11 pm

Bob, just seen your post - happy to provide any info you are interested in, just let me know what?
I am not putting detailed steps in as its Steves thread - but sure he won't mind me providing answers to specific questions
Gordon F

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:29 pm

Steve,

I want to thank you for doing this series.
There have been some very good tips in here, and am I sure most people have picked up something new out of it. I know I have.

Gordon that rederned wall with the bricks showing through is brilliant. 8)

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: GN15!, Zak and Travis my Border Collies, Steam Rallies and Canals.

Postby Bob Taylor » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Learning all the way.

Got so many questions............................. :oops:

Bob.
maybach52.taylor@googlemail.com.

Gn15: Remember SIZE does matter! and may all your gauges be little ones.

Gnine: Narrow your horizons!

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:04 pm

gfadvance wrote:Trying here to show old concrete/rendering - I'm still playing with the color for the coping stones, which need to be weathered as well as the bricks showing through the render.

That looks very like very convncing concrete! Try dry brushing a lighter coulour onto the coping, it will highlight the edges and reduce the intensity of the colouring.

By the way, I too like the economic aspect of these micro layouts!

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:33 pm

Thanks Glen, glad you are enjoying it, or at least learning :) , you are not alone, I'm trying things that are new to me aswell :) .
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:41 pm

Bob Taylor wrote:There are a lot of methods being used here, Steve' slabs and Gordon's rendering etc. What I feel would be of great benefit would be a little more explanation please. It seems that has these projects gain momentum there's slightly less and less in the way of information.

Patience Bob :) there is more to come, just need to make these things before photographing and describing them. Time, or lack of it is the biggest problem. We will get there though :wink: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:03 am

That is great texture on the wall and on the concrete structure.
A few weeds growing up around the join between the ground and the structures when finally you put all the bits together will add to to some well observed modelling.

Thanks for the trouble you have taken to share the progress of the layout with us.
Ralph.

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:12 am

Gordon & Steve,

Great modelling 8) I am really enjoying following your efforts :D and will be refering back to this thread when I have time to start a similar project of my own :wink:

Simon.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:23 am

Who ever would have thought two pieces of straight parallel track would be so interesting :P

We already have pizza layouts, are these sandwiches :wink:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:22 am

DCRfan wrote:We already have pizza layouts, are these sandwiches :wink:

:lol: not much filling in the sandwich, assuming the tracks are the bread :)
Mine also fits in a shoebox, so I guess it could also fall into that category aswell :lol:
Last edited by Steve Bennett on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steph'H
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 7/8ths and 1/12th NG modelling with GN15 growing on me

Postby Steph'H » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:35 am

Now this is inspirational stuff. As someone yet to get round to actually making something in Gn15 this is great...I'm keeping my eyes open for a suitable piece of polystyrene! Its got me thinking in my "main" scale of 7/8ths too!

Now as a beginner I just have to ask how Gordon did the brick wall and concrete render in more detail? It looks great.

Now if I go to Wickes and get an 8 by 4 sheet of polystyrene I reckon I could start in Gn15 and 7/8ths! Now that would be Gnuts :shock: :D

Cheers

Steph' H

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:59 am

Steph'H wrote:Now if I go to Wickes and get an 8 by 4 sheet of polystyrene I reckon I could start in Gn15 and 7/8ths! Now that would be Gnuts :shock: :D

:lol: I would think 8' by 2' would be plenty enough to do both Steph and easier to fit in a car :) . To do something similar in 7/8ths, because of the weight of your stock, rather than cladding the polystyrene in card, a thin MDF might be a better option, though I'm fairly confident card would take the weight. Dont tell anybody, but I have been thinking of something similar in 1/12th, especially with the introduction of the Back2Bay6 Lister. Wether it happens remains to be seen :roll:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steph'H
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 7/8ths and 1/12th NG modelling with GN15 growing on me

Postby Steph'H » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:22 pm

Shhh I'll keep it quiet if you do Steve :twisted: That 1/12th Lister is nice....

I was thinking of thin MDF rather than card for the cladding on the bigger option, but it might be fun to see if it would work with card.....Like you I reckon it would actually take the weight, as long as you didn't decide to shunt with a live steamer :shock: (I actually think that might work with something like a Regner!)

I have just found just over a meter of ancient OO flexi track I didn't know I had left, so might try something with that for Gn15, make up some dummy sleepers perhaps? Or just strip off the plastic and spike it down onto proper wooden ones! I'm guessing that would look OK as light industrial rail... then again I could just extend the trip to Wickes to the local model shop and buy a meter or so of On30 I suppose....but thats against my frugal nature :D

Steph' H

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:23 pm

Steph'H wrote:I have just found just over a meter of ancient OO flexi track I didn't know I had left, so might try something with that for Gn15, make up some dummy sleepers perhaps? Or just strip off the plastic and spike it down onto proper wooden ones! I'm guessing that would look OK as light industrial rail... then again I could just extend the trip to Wickes to the local model shop and buy a meter or so of On30 I suppose....but thats against my frugal nature :D

Nothing wrong with using a bit of old OO track. If you space the sleepers a bit farther apart, or even easier, bury them in the ballast, it will work ok. The rail is the same as the On30 and the sleepers are only a bit too small, so for light rail, it will work just fine (and save the pennies :) ).
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

franckcombe
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: computer architecture train

Postby franckcombe » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:49 pm

your layout is very pleasant and your concrete is very well done!

nice job

for those who wants also done a small layout with an easy backdrop try this:

http://www.cgtextures.com/ then choose Buildings \ Industrial

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Franck,
:D Thanks for the link, very useful info - I used to use Mayang's but that has been off line for a while
Gordon F

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:37 pm

To keep Steve's thread on track started a new thread to answer some of the questions - even the ones you don't know you asked

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=4461
Gordon F

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railway,

Postby richard andrews » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:00 pm

Steve, have found a piece of polystyrene in the loft & a small bit of 3mm ply. ply 18"x15" just right for a base 18"x12"with a bit left over to make the fiddle yard. I will use the ply for the base and cut the ploystyrene to 18"x8" to fit on top. this will hopefully give me room at the front for a small stream/river to fit the swan that i bought some time ago.
i have been on a 4mm web site and somebody there used good old PVA glue to make the water. any other ideas most welcome,the same goes for reeds, bullrushes etc :D :D :D
keep up the good work, regards Richard

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:28 pm

Richard, have a look at this - especially page 6

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=2427
Gordon F

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:39 pm

:lol: I see Gordon beat me to it, here is another good example of modelling water and reeds on Jon's wonderful little Gnine layout
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?p=53844#53844

Good to see you getting going on the new project Richard, I'm sure you will show the rest of us how it should be done, as usual :wink: :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:44 pm

franckcombe wrote:for those who wants also done a small layout with an easy backdrop try this:

http://www.cgtextures.com/ then choose Buildings \ Industrial

Thanks for the link Franck, I had been looking for a texture site since Mayang disappeared. The timing is perfect, as it gave me what I wanted for the next piece of this project, so thank you :) .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:20 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:Nothing wrong with using a bit of old OO track. If you space the sleepers a bit farther apart, or even easier, bury them in the ballast, it will work ok. The rail is the same as the On30 and the sleepers are only a bit too small, so for light rail, it will work just fine (and save the pennies :) ).

Or if you are really lazy, just use normal HO track, and ballast above the sleepers so you can't see them any more. You just need to be careful to leave ridges for the wheel flanges. :wink:

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railway,

Postby richard andrews » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:56 am

thanks for the link Gordon, had a quick look ,will see if i can find some grass seeds today.
I don't know about showing you how, Steve, it seems there are a lot of good modellers here all ready :) :) :)
regards Richard

Return to “Modelling Matters”