Now this is really a continuation of method 2, taking things a little further and although still a very simple process, a bit beyond what I intended for this project
First of all the ingredients.
Top left, diluted black poster paint
Top centre, diluted raw umber poster paint.
Bottom left, a mix of powdered polyfilla/spackle (?) with white glue(PVA), water and diluted paint from above.
Bottom centre, plain water for rinsing brush.
Hopefully, this will give an idea of roughly how much filler and PVA went into the mix. The mix is made up and diluted to about the consistancy of milk. You will find that the plaster will sink to the bottom, so each time you dip your brush, give it a stir. I used a cheap number 4 brush for this. You could substitute acrylic or water colour paint here, but the beauty of poster paint is that it is opaque, rather than transparent, plus it is completely matt, unlike acrylic, which does have a sheen to it.
Apply the mix to the precut paving, rather than brush it on though, with the brush well loaded with the mix, dab it on over the surface. Hopefully it will form a bit of a puddle on top, this wont last long though, the card will quickly absorb the water, leaving an uneven layer of plaster on the surface. This doesnt really show it that well, the 2 on the left have had the mix applied and the water soaked in, the third is still loaded with water, while the one on the right, shows the finished piece after drying for a couple of hours, notice how much lighter it is.
By varying the amount of paint in the mix, you can get subtle variations in the final colour. I found that adding more paint to the mix as I went along, gave progressivly darker shades, giving a nice effect when they are arranged randomly. Of course using a different colour can also give even more variety. Here is a pic I showed earlier in the thread showing the variety just using different amounts of black and raw umber.
In some settings, this may be as far as you want to go, but we all like dirty dont we
. It doesnt come much more basic than this for weathering though, a very thin wash of the black paint is all that is required. Before applying the paint though, brush clean water onto the surface, then quickly, before the water soaks in, apply the wash of black. Here is the process in picture form.
The top left two, are just the plaster coating, top right has had the water brushed on, then bottom left, the black wash applied, while the two at bottom right are after drying out again.
Once all the pieces have dried out, time to get them ready for the layout. Like in the previous section on method 2, the individual pieces are stuck to a card sub-base. Here are the finished pieces, ready to be used on the layout.
And finally, just placed into position for now.
I'm hoping this hasnt sounded too complex, it really isnt. It will require a little experimentation to get the mixes of paint right, but it is also difficult to mess up. Now that I have played with this method, I see it getting used a lot in the future.