Simplicity Sidings

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

David James
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Model Railroading

Postby David James » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:46 pm

Well good luck Steve!!

I hate it when my computer acts up, it makes me want to pull out my hair.

( And I have precious little to spare! ) :lol: :wink:

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:42 am

Wonderful progress on the layout Gordon, the cobbles fit the location perfectly. I also like the way it looks like the cobbles have been lifted to instal the track. Not sure if that was intentional :) but it does look like that. Have to say, I think cobbles are more suitable in your location, so perhaps your problem with the dirt and paving was a good thing :roll: .

Using plasticene is a great idea for the cobbles, never would have thought to use that.
Did you roll it flat before applying it to the layout, or just spread it as you put it on :?:
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:22 pm

Not a lot of progress here, been too busy trying to sort my computer. A new modem was the final part in the jigsaw, so I'm back, but still a lot of rebuilding to do :roll: . Anyway, enough of my woes :) back to the project.

TIMBER GATES

Not a lot to show here, the methods for putting the gates together is similar to the planked walkway shown earlier. The photos show the completed gates and I will keep the details brief.

The vertical planks were prepared first, from a sheet of 1mm thick balsa. the planks and nailholes were again simply drawn on with a black drawing pen. I chose 5mm wide planks which were nice and easy to measure and mark, plus they looked right after first trying on a piece of card. The framing for the other side, was worked out before applying the nail holes, but that is not really needed, as both sides wont be visable at the same time. Here is the other side.

The framing was made up with 5mm wide by 3mm thick pieces of balsa, the horizontal pieces were prepared first, then the diagonal bracing was cut to fit between them. The vertical posts are 5mm square, possibly a bit lightweight, but any more, might have given clearance problems :roll: . All the wood was stained, again using dilute black watercolour paint, prior to glueing together. The hinges are simply strips of black card, I did emboss a few depressions to represent countersunk screws, but it wasnt worth the trouble as they dont show :) . Also a bit of a waste of time, are the handles on the centre bar. Again, black card was used and a mini staple painted matt black to represent the handle. I may drybrush the hinges and handles a little to make them stand out a bit more and possibly add a chain and padlock to one of the handles, but they can hardly be seen when in situ. You will have to wait to see these on the layout, as they will be one of the last things to be put on, so that I can finish the groundwork around them more easily.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

David James
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby David James » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:03 pm

Veery nice Steve!

It is refreshing to see a gate modeled as being well maintained.

I am too used to seeing them modeled in other scales as, run down, beat up and in a sorry state of disrepair.

Cheers!

Dave

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:04 pm

Very nicely done Steve an idea for me to file away for my G12 layout I think.
*Insert witty signature here*

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:09 pm

David James wrote:It is refreshing to see a gate modeled as being well maintained.

I am too used to seeing them modeled in other scales as, run down, beat up and in a sorry state of disrepair.

:lol: I was very tempted, but managed to resist :lol:
Quite unusual for me to not do something battered and weathered, but it wouldnt really have fitted with the rest of the scene.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Hi Steve , welcome back :)

Just when I thought I might get ahead of you , you post pictures of your gates - so heres mine.

ImageImage

As for the cobbles I think the secret is to coat the plasticene with thin coat of PVA - this acts like a flexible skin and means that when you impress the cobbles you get 2 benefits

the skin rounds the shape of each cobble, and you dont get bits of plasticene being pulled up with the tool.

I just pushed bits of plasticene on to the base in a random fashion and then used a marble to smooth it out without getting a perfect flat surface, I didn't want that as I wanted the effect of undulations/subsidence you see in old yards
Gordon F

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:28 pm

Very nice gates Gordon, a bit more advanced than mine :) . Nice work on the hinges and I like the way the slats drop at the edges which go either side of the tracks, well thought out.

Thanks for the tips on the plasticene, I would have a play, but I'm sure the stuff I have in a drawer somewhere, is so old, it will have set solid by now :roll: , will have to wait for another time :) .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:32 pm

David James wrote:It is refreshing to see a gate modeled as being well maintained.

:oops: :oops: only excuse I have is that in my old yard they haven't got the money to spend on new gates :)

Having seen Steve's inclined to agree with you - so next time :idea:
Gordon F

David James
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby David James » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:37 pm

:oops: :oops: only excuse I have is that in my old yard they haven't got the money to spend on new gates :)

Having seen Steve's inclined to agree with you - so next time :idea:

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

That gate looks wonderful!!

I don't know that a new looking gate would impart the same wonderful feeling that those have, along with your walls Gordon.

You most definitely made the correct choice here!!
Last edited by David James on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:38 pm

gfadvance wrote: :oops: :oops: only excuse I have is that in my old yard they haven't got the money to spend on new gates :)

Probably wouldnt look right if they were well maintained in your setting anyway. I think you took the right direction :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:10 pm

Compliments to Steve and the other contributors for creating a very rich thread of inspiration and instruction here. Steve's step-by-step narration is wonderful for new-comers and old-timers alike ... and Gordon's version with a very different scenic approach shows how easy it is to customize the basic idea ... as well as the lovely countryside (stream-side) scenic approach in Richard's version. Enjoying all so far and looking forward to more! :)
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:26 pm

Dallas_M wrote: ... and Gordon's version with a very different scenic approach shows how easy it is to customize the basic idea ... as well as the lovely countryside (stream-side) scenic approach in Richard's version.

Thanks Dallas, I think you put into words, what I should have put in the intro.
With the others joining in, it really has added an extra dimension to the whole thread. It is really good to hear that so many are enjoying the journey and picking up useful tips along the way, I know it has been a great learning exercise for me aswell. I'm already planning the next one :) .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:27 pm

I'm now seriously tempted to have a go myself. Resistance being futile and all that. :)

When I do the experiment on the baseboard for Pilgrim Quay, there's bound to be a bit left over.... :wink:

Heartfelt thanks to Steve for starting this. and congratulations to everyone who has contributed.

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:29 pm

I'm tempted to do a G12 version myself, I'll just have to remember to order an extra yard of track by mistake. :wink:

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: GN15!, Zak and Travis my Border Collies, Steam Rallies and Canals.

Postby Bob Taylor » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:31 pm

I think a G12 version would be a great place for your stock. Go on, you know you want to! :wink:

Bob.
maybach52.taylor@googlemail.com.

Gn15: Remember SIZE does matter! and may all your gauges be little ones.

Gnine: Narrow your horizons!

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:37 pm

Yes it would I've just got to think about the setting etc. :wink:

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:41 pm

:lol: Go for it guys, you know you cant resist :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:52 pm

Wow.. I haven't even been lurking too much of late, and look what I've been missing!
I wish I'd spotted this thread before.. quite tempted to join in..reprise Gnotts Widgets.
Lovely work as usual everyone - Gordon, those textures are great.
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:59 pm

Although I haven't participated in this exercise (see new thread) if a few more of these get built and I'm sure they'll all look great I can see the potential for having them shown at one of the NG annual shows in 2009.
Now Steve just happens to know a man :wink: that might agree though that would have to be 2010 or even 2011.
What about the Shepshed multi scale show in March 2009? I happen to know that the organiser is currently sending out invites.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:19 pm

:lol: Not sure we are yet in a position to challenge the "Shoebox" layouts of a few years ago.
I blame Bob (blackcloud) for starting me in this direction, wonder if he had any idea what he was starting :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:37 am

Off on holiday in a couple of days so pressure is on me to get things sorted for that!
The layout is not finished but, considering that Steve opened this topic on the 10th August and I started my version on the 12th I find it remarkable and a testiment to Steve's idea that I have got this far. It has also got to be good that this idea costs little or nothing and uses what you have lying around, so far I have spent £1.25 specifically on this layout!

I have spent most of my modelling time as a static modeller so although my layout does work it will probable be used more as a static display piece, so to show where I have got to thats how I have set it up ;-

Dug "Titch" out so I could use to get some idea of scale

Probable my favourite view, as it starts to get a bit closer to what I had in my mind when I started out

Still lots to do, I know they never really get finshed but, coping color needs changed,some vegatation added, junks , ladders, buckets, I really fancy making a couple of bikes to lean against the wall, etc, etc, and its needs a name.

I know it sounds pompous but while there has been no element of competition in this thread it has had a degree of pressure - which is a good thing or I would never get anything done - it really has been about the taking part.

I have had a lot of pleasure out this and learnt a huge amount and when you look at the layout I don't think there is a single idea or technique on it which has not triggered by information or ideas shared in this forum so a big thanks to Steve and all of you. :) :)
Gordon F

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:39 am

That looks great Gordon, the gates are fanstastic 8)

b1gy1n
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: gn15 traction

Gordon simplicity sidings

Postby b1gy1n » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:02 am

Hi Gordon you must be really proud,my friend thats an excellant job,also along with Steve he must be too,you have both done extremely well in showing how "easy " it can be.

i take my hat off to you both,

regards Marc Witten,

now i must get mine done. :D
marc

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:21 am

That really is excellent Gordon, I think you've managed to stumble upon a permanent home for titch in the third photo, it looks right at home there.

Return to “Modelling Matters”