Back from Budapest today is set aside for admin stuff that can be done on autopilot, so fortunately the next bit of Kirrin doesn't take much brain-power. This is the ceremonial track-burying. I'm doing it the same way I have for a couple of abortive dioramas, so it should work out okay.
First, though, a bodge and a thought. When I built the two boards for myself, I never intended connecting them, but just before I flew out Steve posted about the extra board. So, well, I thought...
But as you can see there was a problem. The couple of mil error that Widley spotted at the beginning (not true really, a different couple of mil but it would have made a good story). So, I levered up the short track, sanded everything, relaid it and put it to dry.
Below, however, is an illustration of an idea I had while sitting in a bar watching trams at the second simplest tram terminus in the world.
I did wonder how close the spacing would be and this morning I found it was quite close. I'm not going to re-lay everything, but if anyone else is thinking of having a go, matching the spacing to standard Peco stuff might be worthwhile.
Now, since the Kirrin board is drying (again), I'll start the burying work on htis, which is simpler anyway (this one will be clad with Steve's paving slabs, as a try-out for Pilgrim Quay). I started by cutting three strips of 2mm card to but up to the sleeper ends. This stuff will be invisible so accurate cutting isn't strictly necessary, which is just as well given my complete lack of brain cells this morning (the journey from Gatwick to Southampton by train took longer than getting from the hotel to Ferighey airport, checking in, going through security, boarding, flying to Heathrow, clearing customs, finding the baggage...).
I didn't glue it down quite yet, I needed another layer of card about 1mm thick, and I used the 2mm strips as a template because my cutting isn't brilliant. Normally I'd use packaging card but we cleared everything out before we left, so I've laminated it out of two layers of thin card. It's drying under a sheet of glass. I'll do it properly with the other more complicated board.
Now I've glued the 2mm card in place. The extra shim will bring the level up to just about sleeper level, so that I can glue card strips direct onto the sleepers between the rails and have the final surface level.
Everything has to dry, so since it's a nice day I think I'll go shopping.