Now the plants are prepared, time to get them installed. This is very simple to do on this layout, due to the materials it is constructed from. All that was required was a pin vice with a sewing needle in it (slightly bigger than a pin), pushed into the surface to create a hole into which the plants could be inserted. I didn't find that any glue was needed, especially with the grass seeds, as once pushed in the holes, the hairs on them made them difficult to pull out again.
In the first pic, the Sea Foam Moss pieces have been inserted into holes in a neglected corner of the yard. I hope this shows the light and airy effect that I was aiming for.
Next step was to have a few weeds growing at the end of the track and alongside the wall. For this I went for the grass seeds, their upright nature wont interfere with the wagons on the track (hopefully).
Then we come to the fence along the front. This see's both types used together.
Now, I was going to leave it like this, but it just didn't look right. I felt that it needed a bit more lush growth, especially around the base of the fence. This sort of area would have the weeds growing freely, it wouldn't be walked on and I couldn't imagine them having a grazing animal like a sheep or goat in the yard
. So a quick rummage in my stock of scenic materials found the ideal thing.
For those that don't recognise it, this is a wonderful material produced by Heki in Germany. This foliage net is more often used for trees and dense shrubs, but does makes great ground cover. It is made of a fine black net to which green foam is stuck. I would think there are similar items in other ranges like Woodland Scenics, must admit, I have never looked
To apply it, I simply cut a slightly undersize piece for the area to be covered, then stretch it out a little to fit. A generous coat of ordinary white glue is then used to hold it in place. Here you can see the part on the left has been put on and the glue ready to accept the final piece on the right. This would have been a lot easier to apply before the taller plants were put on.
And then with it stuck in place.
While I had this material out, I thought a bit more lush growth around the end stops would make an improvement here aswell. Compare it with the same area in the picture above.
To finish up this section, one final shot of the overall now all the planting is complete.
That finishes this section. The next will feature more of the final detailing, but that wont be today