So, is this going to be the final chapter
The finishing touches can make or break a layout, even something this small needs a few details to draw the eye in.
I guess I could have just pointed everyone to my site for detail parts
but thats not what this thread was all about, so I tried to think of something cheap and cheerful that could be found just about anywhere. After a lot of thought, I think this should be pretty universal, though only a suggestion.
Yes, a humble cigarette lighter is a great source of little bits to add to a scene like this. Before I get started though a
WARNING : PLEASE ENSURE ANY LIGHTER YOU TAKE APART HAS NO GAS LEFT IN IT AND IT IS BEST TO DO THIS IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA, OR OUTSIDE.
Hope that sinks in
. To take one apart is fairly easy, a thin bladed screwdriver and if you really want to get into it, a pair of side cutters or hobby saw will help. The first step is to prise off the metal flame guard from the top, once that is removed, it is easy to extract the rest of the workings.
Laid out below, you will see all the parts extracted from 2 lighters, it's amazing what there is in these things. The one on the left an electric one, the one on the right, the old flint operated type. Both supply some of the same bits, some are unique to the type.
OK, you may be saying, but what to do with all these bits
, here are a few suggestions.
Firsty the cardboard boxes, which I admit, are not really suitable for outside in anything but the driest climate, so possibly better for in a workshop or similar. For outside, a wooden or metal box would have been better. The contents of the boxes are all from the lighters (4 of them) and could be used as they are, but to give a bit more character, I rusted them by dropping them in the rusting agent from a two part rust paint, for about 30 seconds, more on these paints later. A few items I picked out for further mention.
#1. This is the valve from the top of the flint operated lighters and looks pretty good as a bottle or can on a shelf, or even on the footplate of a loco.
#2. These are the batteries from the electric type lighters. The labels were simply created on the computer and printed onto sticky labels then applied to the sides. The one on the left is just coloured lines, the one on the right is from a sardine tin label found on the web, though you would never know at this size
#3. This is the metal flame guard from the top of the lighter, suitably rusted to be lying around in the yard, more on this next and I will start with a pic to show a few variations. After, I will explain how the finishes were done.
#1. This is the simplest finish to do. First the piece was sprayed with a matt black aerosol, then once dry, a thin wash of Burnt Sienna poster paint applied. There is more on this technique here:
#2. A different part this time, this is the bit you push down with your thumb to ignite the electric type lighter. First it was painted with a dilute white glue, then while still wet, iron powder was sprinkled on and set aside to dry. Once dry, white vinegar was brushed over it and the rusting process started. Though this process gives quite a uniform finish, it can be given washes of rusty colour paints after to enhance it further.
#3. For this one I used one of the two part rust finishes, this one from Back2Bay6 which I described here : http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?p=54628#54628
There are other versions available, the US one from Modern Options ( http://www.modernoptions.com
) probably being the most universally available, except in the UK
#4. The same two part rust treatment as #3, but I thought I would stick in some weeds left over from earlier to show how it could be incorporated as a neglected piece rotting away in a corner somewhere.
#5. This again uses the two part rust treatment, then once dry, a wash of Burnt Sienna poster paint applied to give a bit more depth.
OK, thats as far as I'm going with the lighter bits, the plan here was just to trigger a few ideas of how everyday items can provide bits to use. It is surprising what a bit of rust can do
. Here are the boxes of bits on the layout and if you look carefully, you will see other bits lurking in the weeds.
To finish this section, one final pic of my favourite corner of the diorama.
Again, fairly restrained detailing and at last one of my commercial items to maybe tempt you
. The simple elements here are enough to give the corner a bit of interest to draw the eye in, the plank of wood is there to cover the join between the two walls, along with the folded boxes, which really give this corner a lift.
Well, I guess that is about it, until I think of something else to add
. I hope this thread has been interesting and maybe taught a few tricks along the way. I have certainly enjoyed it and am looking forward to building a second board to join onto it.
Oh, nearly forgot. Right back at the beginning, I said that once finished, I would weigh it
. I can now reveal that the finished weight is (drum roll please) a massive 0.6kg or 1 pound 2 ounces in old money.
OK, I'm off to play
as this dummy gets confused with metric weights