Figuring it Out.. random thoughts...

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Figuring it Out.. random thoughts...

Postby Colin Peake » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:39 pm

Some random thoughts about modelling in large scales and small gauges.

I've been tinkering with thoughts of Gn15 for almost as long as I've been a member of this forum (funny that :lol: ). Firstly there was the Lister, finally finished off earlier this year, then the freelance loco, eventually finished as a static model last year. I then stuck to O9 for a long while.

Having got the Lister finished I started building 'Ambasador Works' and after a break this is now underway again. I still remain to be convinced that this is right for the Lister, the loco just sems to big, as Mr Bennett has pointed out to me, it is really a 2 foot gauge loco!! But continue I will, even if I have to build that 'Bitza' from last year and buy some Sidelines stock...

Anyhow, in the process of building Ambassador Works, this fellow emerged from the workbench:

Whilst working on him I got carried away and started on some other figures, based on some of the cheap Hong Kong sourced figures acquired via eBay....

So with some imagination, Milliput and yet another spare Prieser head, I produced some more 1/24th figures:

If nothing else, I have had plenty of practice at painting figures over a black undercoat!

So what to do with them? Certainly no room at the Inn on Ambasadors, maybe I need to consider a passenger line? But then there is another problem. My good friend Mr Holmes is to blame here, creating 'Gnine' to tempt me into considering a passenger line in that scale too. So now the dilema, where to go next, where to build it, and what to do with all these not-so-little people...

So the first step is to finish off Ambasadors and something to run on it, even if it is only the Lister and a wagon or two. Next? Who knows!! :lol:

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:16 pm

In moments of calm I realise that these dilemmas will never be solved.. and decide to fret no longer.. just go with the flow!

the figures look great - a huge improvement on the originals. The first fellow though.. his trousers are a little tight for my liking! Suits you Sir.. :wink:
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

joe gilmartin
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: railroads fishing hunting austin healys

Postby joe gilmartin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:31 pm

Colin,
Again excellent work ! I can agree with you about Shifting Scales :roll:
I also bounce around O9, Gn15,Gnine ect. (all still able to use Mr Bs' products though) that work home and other obligations (and maybe a little ADD) keep me jumping around doing a little of this and a little of that
but not really finishing much
Fate has possibly stepped in (or in my case on) after having crushed my foot
on accident at work last week and having pins bolts and screws
now become part of my semi-bionic self it appears I'll have some modeling time on my hands (Dr. tells SHMBO " it will be therapeutic "!)
Now all I need to figure out is what scale
Once more wonderful work on your figures and thanks for much inspiration always

Cheers and happy Christmas and joyous New Year
to all

Joe(still waiting to here about that Senate seat from Gov. B) Gilmartin[
JH Gilmartin

Sole owner/operator
Moskito Coast Transfer Line

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:39 pm

joe gilmartin wrote:Now all I need to figure out is what scale
[

Why not try something completely new? Like 3mm or S? :twisted: hehehe
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:42 pm

MOG wrote:In moments of calm I realise that these dilemmas will never be solved.. and decide to fret no longer.. just go with the flow!

Wise words indeed, certainly worth following.

The other thing I meant to say but didn't (cos' I forgot) was that I even have crazy thoughts about just building in Gn15 as a 'static' scale rather than as working models, building on from that static diesel. I know at the time a few people thought it was odd, but at the end of the day if it isn't going to get played with much, is it worth the cost and effort of motorising when both time and money are short in supply? As you say Martin, just go with the flow!

MOG wrote:the figures look great - a huge improvement on the originals. The first fellow though.. his trousers are a little tight for my liking! Suits you Sir.. :wink:

Well that's the Italian parentage showing through.... :lol:

Thanks for the coments Joe, hope you recover to something like full strength.

Seasons Greetings,

Colin
Colin Peake

Will Vale
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: BC narrow gauge, NS, Enoden, other stuff too long to mention.

Postby Will Vale » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:46 pm

The fellow in the tight trousers belongs on a Portmeirion layout, or perhaps as a villain in the Avengers!

The young lady in the bottom left picture, and perhaps her friend (although her hair would be a bit modern) are crying out for a tractor to fix or some other land girl accoutrements. Could make a nice diorama :)

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Re: Figuring it Out.. random thoughts...

Postby Sir Briand » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:03 am

To severely truncate
Colin Peake wrote:Some random thoughts about modelling in large scales and small gauges..............................

If nothing else, I have had plenty of practice at painting figures over a black undercoat!...................................

Colin

... and very nicely done too Colin. Nice to see you venturing into another area and a welcome surprise to find on a pre-Xmas visit to the Gnatterbox.

Season Greetings to all and a healthy 2009 for you and yours..
Sir BRIANd :wink:
Paint your people to look like they belong!
http://www.brifayle.ca

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:25 pm

Just in case anyone is interested, some of the figures I featured above, having been used to develop painting skills etc, are now for sale:

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5472

Colin
Colin Peake

Return to “Modelling Matters”