Exhibition Presentation

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:01 am

A few pictures might be helpful to illustrate what you mean. After all, the thread´s title refers to layout presentation. I always love to see good examples for successful presentations.

Since this is mainly a Gn15 forum, my main interest over here is in larger scale narrow gauge models. Most Gn15 layouts I have seen, were tiny, compared to mainstream HO / 00 layouts. Easyly been overlooked by a general audience, if not properly presented.

Outstanding examples of impressive Gn15 layouts are the Gnorfolker´s SMITHIES YARD and Christoph Panks´s DRC RAILWAY. Pictures can be found elsewhere in this forum.

Have Fun

Juergen

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:40 am

KEG wrote:Most Gn15 layouts I have seen, were tiny, compared to mainstream HO / 00 layouts. Easyly been overlooked by a general audience, if not properly presented.

I agree with you. Our small layouts can be overlooked. I think the loose grouping Will, Gavin and I have by asking to be exhibited together works well because:

- 3 to 5 small layouts with common presentation exhibited together definitely attracts attention.

- As we all are all solo exhibitors it allows us to share the burden of running and explaining the layouts.

I should add that Will and I have resisted getting matching train driver suits like Gavin's so we present a totally united front :P
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Smithies is now 16 feet long with the old layout being the centre two boards.
the two boxes are the control panels built by Barry Weston.
The whole layout was put together for the first time at the Dereham show last Sunday. It is still work in progress and needs its own frame and lighting, plus a backcloth. Dave westall and Jon Randall did most of the running and had the choice of about 12 locos., One loco burnt out its chip for some reason.

The public seemed happy with the layout if confused at the scale/gauge thing!
Lots of notes were made by us after the show on what we may change but due to the work put in by tne lads particularly Barry with the framework and wiring for DCC, things went quite well.

We accept that presentation of the layout will be smartened up to create a viewing package , but at least we had a running layout big enough to see locos running with a purpose.

Next month it moves into a garage to be set up so that work can continue on detailling and the working out of a proper running time table and practice in using the controllers.

Ralph

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:14 am

Rockley Bottom wrote:Smithies is now 16 feet long with the old layout being the centre two boards.

Well done Ralph! (and Barry and dave and Jon, and anyone else who worked on it).

The perception that a Gn15 layout needs to be the size of pizza or shoe box is what is holding this scale back.
A few more large well detailed layouts like Smithies on the exhibition circuit, and the scale will really get noticed.
It has really got the WOW factor, and has far more visual impact than an HO scale layout of the same foot print (in my opinion).

Glen.

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:53 am

Although The Steamy Pudding is still a work in progress Smithies Yard was one of the inspirational layouts that got me going with the final design. Building with individual bricks etc is what makes that layout a standout at an exhibition.

The Steamy Pudding when it is finished will be across six boards each approx 1200x 400mm for a total roundy round design of approx 4.5 metres long x 1.5 metres across. Have stalled recently with a total rebuild of the fantasy gothic dungeon castle which I am currently recasting with a better batching procedure for more accurate colour and I have not done any individual bricks for a while so still have only done 21,600 (and not even totally finished board three). Still to come is a village scene and the Steam Punk rocket launch site (steam powered rockets of course). Expect me to talk about it again in about twelve months!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

John S
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 09 & DCC

Postby John S » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:56 pm

Glen A wrote:The perception that a Gn15 layout needs to be the size of pizza or shoe box is what is holding this scale back.

Hopefully the APA challenge, along with other numerous Gn15 projects, may be the way forward for Gn15 to make a name for itself, and alter attendees at main stream exhibitions point of view.!

Quite how or what they will make of our, reuse, reclaim and recycling abilities is another matter! :lol:

John

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:03 pm

Glen A wrote:The perception that a Gn15 layout needs to be the size of pizza or shoe box is what is holding this scale back.
A few more large well detailed layouts like Smithies on the exhibition circuit, and the scale will really get noticed.
It has really got the WOW factor, and has far more visual impact than an HO scale layout of the same foot print (in my opinion).

Glen.

I can't compete with Ralph regarding layout size as Secciole Salina is just 2.2m in length, however by year end it will have clocked up 25 shows including one appearance in France.
Whether it has a WOW factor is debatable, what I do claim is that it's the only layout on the International Exhibition circuit (regardless of scale) that depicts the workings (as such) of a Salt Pan. Still waiting to be challenged on that statement. :wink:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi Gerry

Smithies has only done four shows so far :!:
The larger layout has several factors which are less obvious on the smaller ones. A lot of smaller layouts are designed around the transport available, often the family car. The width of the boot and its depth come into play.

After the boards we have the "top parts" buildings etc. These often grow as the boards get bigger.

Large layouts are often only worth taking around the country for two day shows as the putting up and taking down is a major factor.

Big layouts take a fair amount of time to build and are often the result of a team, which can mean several folks working well together.

Storage of a large layout needs thinking about and the need for space to assemble it for working on. ( as well as letting the boys play trains)!

Support from "her indoors" is a great help if not vital where this type of project is undertaken

Transport to and from shows may need the hire of a van so the cost if met by the show needs the show to have a large foot fall to cover costs.

Not every team has a member who will purchase a van mainly to move railway gear around.

Some large layouts are owned by a club where as Smithies is owned (so the rest say) by one member who is responsible for storage , most of the building topsides, rolling stock locos etc.

Skills such as electrics have to be freely given.

Decisions are made by common agreement, so as to avoid, its " my ball and I am taking home so you cannot play!"

Many other small but important aspects have to be taken into acount, including the members cover a large age range. The larger the layout, the more people often needed to run it.

Smithies started as a joke comment when talking about smaller layouts. And now covers 16feet by 4 plus feet.

Rockley bottom, who has a lot to do with it, enjoys both the building and the viewers experience when they see it.

The size allows us to be part of the 1:24 world we have created and gives the viewers a chance to share in our "makebelieve.

Ralph

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Wed May 29, 2013 1:38 am

This is what I'm getting at... layouts with nice dropsheets, no creases, or unsightly folds, and, no drawing pins! I think the message is getting through over here.
Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:52 pm

:D Got a few e-mails last night from the Rail-Ex organiser. The first was the usual thank you note. Then there was a second... what's this, no money, don't come back... no, but a letter of extra praise for the standard of presentation show by members of this forum, specifically telling of his dislike for bare layout legs, and shoddy skirting. He particularly liked the tablecloth and drape effect, as detailed in this thread.

Here's the text of the message:

Hi Guys,

Just an additional bit of thanks from me for your groups "tidy <streamlined> presentation" especially tablecloths and skirts

I am always being distracted by bare tables/ exposed legs and boxes, so not having these means more focus on the important things (the models and exhibits)

Cheers

RailEx2013 Secretary
Last edited by Gavin Sowry on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Re: Exhibition Presentation

Postby Gavin Sowry » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:07 am

Time to reactivate.

:? We have discussed, in detail, presentation of the layouts themselves. There is another aspect to exhibitions, and that is the presentation of the exhibitors themselves. Quite frankly, I've seen too many exhibitors making an exhibition of themselves.

Attitudes, appearance and banter that is (probably) acceptable in the clubroom, should stay in the clubroom. At exhibitions, WE are also on display, and poor exhibitor presentation can detract from a really good layout. A scruffy, unshaven, poorly dressed guy, with half his lunch (yesterday's, normally) smeared over his T-shirt, is a poor image. Think of it this way, if you present so poorly so as to 'turn a woman off', then, she ain't going to stop by and let her kids see what may otherwise be an excellent layout.

Another pet peeve, is the boisterous group of presenters, that laugh and yell with 'in' language at each other, and usually when there is a mishap, or bad mouth other exhibits or philosophies. I firmly believe that an exhibitors role is to interact with the paying public, always ready to answer questions, or even initiate polite conversation. Remember, most patrons are not up with the technicalities of boutique railways like ours, and talking straight tech speak to them only confuses them (more). Gn15, to most, means diddly squat, but,' this is modelled in G scale (which is ½" to the foot, or what ever variation you prefer) and represents a real railway of 15 inch gauge. Yes, madam, it is HO track (then try to explain......)'.

Discussion open.
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:40 pm

Gavin Sowry wrote:Time to reactivate.

:? There is another aspect to exhibitions, and that is the presentation of the exhibitors themselves. Quite frankly, I've seen too many exhibitors making an exhibition of themselves.

Not to mention those who even dress up in pseudo American train driver suits :wink:
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:05 am

DCRfan wrote:
Gavin Sowry wrote:Time to reactivate.

:? There is another aspect to exhibitions, and that is the presentation of the exhibitors themselves. Quite frankly, I've seen too many exhibitors making an exhibition of themselves.

Not to mention those who even dress up in pseudo American train driver suits :wink:

:? Pseudo.... that was the genuine article.

Good to see your access has been restored.
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:43 am

Maybe slightly off-topic but here is a link to Ontraxs 2015 which has some Gn15 at pages 28-32. (Still going through the rest.)

http://www.swr.de/eisenbahn-romantik/on ... index.html

Good to see the general high quality of build and presentation. Only wish it would happen here more often!
Ian Hodgkiss

The Steamy Pudding (in progress)

West of Worcester (in progress)

Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)

Brisbane, Australia

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:31 am

Haven't gone in to website pages yet, but layout photo on opening page is really something, top quality work.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:53 am

Within a few years, Ontraxs in Utrecht / NL at the railroad museum became the leading European model railroading exibitition. They do pay expenses for the exibitors and choose very carefully. The director of the museum is not a model railroader, but an educated artist.

Meanwhile they draw more than 15.000 visitors within 3 days. Admission ist 12 Euro, I believe.

Luckily the event is documented very well in the media and in the net. The place is overcrowded most of the time, so it is difficult to see very much when visiting. Here is a 40 minute film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PlPycwYOmE

Have Fun

Juergen

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:41 am

Thanks for the link to Ontraks. Some beautiful work here. Just had 4 days of narrow gauge model railroading at the Australian Narrow Gauge Convention at Bowral NSW. :D
Some very good modelling and great fun. Unfortunately my camera simply refused to work, so no photos I'm afraid! :( :( :(
regards
Geoff Potter
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

Toeffelholm
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge modeling, RC loco control, Gn15

Postby Toeffelholm » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:40 am

The actual Layout presentation of the "Kreativmeile"
Trains travelling through various scenes in Kraehwinkel (KEG) and Toeffelholm

https://vimeo.com/142512063

Juergen
Chronicler of the light railway on the island of Toeffelholm

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:56 am

Juergen,

great presentation with lots of fun and imagination. Nice modelling!

thank you
Geoff Potter :D
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: modelling in card

Postby Geeky Gecko » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:47 pm

Juergen,
That looks great. Do the residents of Toeffelholm welcome visitors? Where can one catch a ferry? I think I must visit this charming place very soon.
Stefan

Toeffelholm
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge modeling, RC loco control, Gn15

Postby Toeffelholm » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:19 pm

Hi Stefan,

Toeffelholm is located somewhere in the North Sea in the late 1920's.
The boats to Toeffelholm went from Torfmoorholm at the mainland coast near Kraehwinkel.

Juergen
Chronicler of the light railway on the island of Toeffelholm

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:56 pm

:? We seem to be getting a slight thread drift here. I set this thread up to discuss 'presentation', rather than 'composition'. What you have in composition is what is actually on the layout. Presentation is how you show off your composition .All the same, some nice work coming out here.
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: large scale narrow gauge micro layouts

Postby southpier » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:40 pm

i certainly cannot grasp the distinction, but thoroughly enjoy the posts

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:08 pm

It seems an appropriate time to move the discussion back on track. There has bee a lot of talk recently about how to get youngsters interested in the hobby. The question of layout height has been talked about, and I think the 'high' brigade have been talking too loudly. The problem is that what ever height the layout is at , it won't be at right height for someone. I prefer low tables, and am thinking I should get hold of a periscope for those tall people who want to view it on the level. Children standing on chairs is a potential risk. Luckily I have not heard of any problems , but the added stress might put off some taking their children to an exhibition.
When it comes to overall appearance, I agree some skirts are useful, but have encountered h&s rules which are out of date, but still make stipulate fire proof material etc(from days of smoking in public). Backboards can be OK, but are not suitable for all layouts. A short board hardly hides what is behind, but means that side can not be viewed so easily. If there is no visual break then it is not absolutely necessary.
Adding a picture frame to front, can work, but it can also close things in and results in extra lighting being required. I do use it on one layout, but that is as part of the market stall theme of the layout.
One thing I have been thinking about is height of seats for operators. Standing up for 2 days is tiring, especially if you are on your own as I am usually. I have tried sitting down, but then find I need to stand up to talk to anyone. It is far better talking eye to eye, so my answer is to buy some folding bar stools. Seat height is 75cm, so I should be at correct level. It will depend on layout, but might sit behind or on side. This does lead onto something else and that is what I do when I am demonstrating my model building. With table low, it will be difficult to do, so might use a small raised work top, which can always be lowered so more can see when I am not working.
I have a lot of old magazines, including book bound copies of Model Railway News from 1940s. In one Jack Nelson, who was to go on and be one of the best in diorama modelling, describes what must be a club layout, with track running at table height at front, and a raised level at back, along which a tram ran. He describes how this change in levels draws the eye through the whole scene. There is something at eye height for most people to focus on .

I like using themes, and will continue a theme beyond a layout. In the past I have used a French flag, Mediterranean style table cloths, and more recently an old army stretcher. No curtain in front, so underneath can get cluttered, so maybe I might put a curtain at back to block off view of my feet and keep clutter behind layout.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:30 pm

Well, joining a Exhibition Presentatation thread without a few pictures or links is like coming to a bottle party with empty hands.

So where is your layout with the old strecher or Italian flag on table height?

I think the 'high' brigade have been talking too loudly

Watch out who you are talking to. I am a proud and happy member of the loud "high" brigade.
Even our shortes visitors neve complained yet. They were afraid of falling off the laddar we gave them. And most wheel chair users today have access to a small camera on a stick plus a tablet screen. If not, we let them use ours.

Meanwhile I have a link to Brian Dominic´s Flagg Fluorspan : http://mdlr.co.uk/ff04.html
A 16mm scale layout whicht fits into the booth of a family car.

Have Fun

Juergen

Return to “Modelling Matters”