Limit, Pick & Shoehorn RR -- Dallas M's layout project

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:14 am

Dallas,

I think because I was distracted from modelling for a few months I missed this thread - just spent a a very enjoyable 1/2 hour working my way through it. Love the critter and all the details on it .

Right, Chores! yes dear ,coming dear, will get on with the jobs right now!!!
Gordon F

MT Hopper
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 18" and 20"gauge RR

Postby MT Hopper » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:32 pm

Dallas_M wrote:A little more progress on a "big" little critter to haul the work train around and help with layout construction ...

Styrene (plasticard) cab is well underway ... just needs another 80 or so rivets ... but who's counting? :lol:

Yesterday I took a look at the HO Alco S-1 mechanism to see if I could replace the drive wheels with some larger wheels that I had handy ... but, alas, the axles on the HO drive are much smaller than those on the potential replacement wheels ...

So, rather than get into fabricating axle bushings, replacing gears or other mechanoid wonders ... the "Easy Plan B" has been implemented ... full tram skirting ... as shown in the cardstock mock-up ...

Further progress as time allows ... plenty of time left to pester Gerry into posting more of his great structure photos before those are needed on this layout! :lol: 8)

Hello Dallas
I know you don't want to fabricate anything, but a simple solution might be .....
Re the axle diameter discrepency. Would it be possible to use some thick walled tubing or a series of telescoping tubing to increase the axles diameter to match the axle holes in the wheels? :?:
Yes I am not a machinist in any way shape or form, it's just a thought.

Cheers from the Heart of the Continent (North America)
MT Hopper
:D
Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
Will

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi Will --

Actually, that photo was a bit "early" in the critter build ... while I do like the appearance of the tram skirts, I did in fact decide to go with a two-truck (aka twin-bogie) design.

This earlier photo shows one of the new truck side frames that I made -- I've since cast a set of four of these, but haven't mounted them yet! :roll:

This later shot shows the loco pretty much as it now stands ... awaiting installation of those new side frames, a few little bits and a coat of paint!

This most recent shot shows the size of the loco compared to the mock-up for the loco servicing area on the layout ...

And, while I'm at it .... I "sketched" this paint scheme for an On30 critter on the computer ... plan to try it in real life on that On30 critter soon ... if all goes as planned ... and I like it :wink: :? :roll: ... will probably try to adapt some variation of this scheme to the Gn15 beastie. We'll see! :)
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:43 pm

Another little "progress" session in hopes of finishing the critter ... one day!

Started modifying an SLM Engineer to drive the beast ...

Built up a housing to cover the drive train inside ... cut a seat base ... and laid out some simplified controls. Interior won't be highly visible, so just hoping to make it look a little better than "empty." 8)

Still have to add a firewall to cover the opening in the cab front ... and putty the figure where his arm was cut and reshaped ... will also add some gauges. Maybe even a couple of doo-dads or thingy-ma-bobbers. :lol:

Not a lot ... but a couple little steps in the right direction.
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:05 pm

I'm just loving this............... great modelling, and it certainly has the "look" alrighty.

Look forward to seeing the updates on this as it progresses.

Andi.
KBO .......................... Andi.

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Well, I've painted this little On30 critter in a paint scheme that's new for me ... and, happily ... I like it! So that's decided ... can't exactly duplicate the scheme for the Gn15 beastie, but I'll use the same colors and/or colours 8) ... and adapt the trim to suit the bigger lokie ...
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:32 pm

That looks great Dallas :D

The outside cranks and rods suit it perfectly :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:59 pm

Great progress on the critter Dallas, I also really like the paint scheme, If the management at Macton had not chosen maroon and black I think they would have followed your colour scheme.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Postby mad gerald » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:14 pm

Hi Dallas,

nice to see you found the time for some progress on your 0n30 critter ...

Dallas_M wrote:
Well, I've painted this little On30 critter in a paint scheme that's new for me ... and, happily ... I like it!

... and I like it too! I'm getting curious about the looks of your paint scheme on your Gn15 critter! :shock:

I'm a little short with spare time, but all the spare time I could afford I work on prototype(s) of my Struppe Akkulok!

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi Dallas.

I think that colour scheme is going to look great on the engine. Sometimes it is hard to visualise what the end result is going to look like painted. So at least you have something to reference.

And I am glad to know that I am not the only railway company who employs one legged drivers. :wink:
And least you are kind enough to let yours sit down on the job. I make mine stand; thats why he has one hand holding the side of the loco :lol:

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:49 pm

Well, I need another unfinished project like I need this hole in my head ... so what the heck! :lol:

This one's pretty darn simple compared to the others underway. Waiting for a couple of new figures to arrive so I can determine seat and roof height, then work out the remaining details. It's inspired by a Maine 2-foot gauge railcar. 8)
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Music, photography, travelling, College Football

Postby foswaldy13 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:10 am

Looks fantastic Dallas. I almost posted something here earlier today asking if you had made any progress on the critter or layout since your last update.
Matt Oswald

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:12 am

Two great models. That is a fine colour scheme, and I love the proportions of the centre cab :!: :!:
Well done some very clean modelling

Ralph

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:09 am

Looking good Dallas, I like the proportions of the bonnet/ hood 8)
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Return to “Modelling Matters”