(F) New Heywood Stock

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gerry Balding
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, football, films, the works of James Ellroy. I am also the part owner of a 15" gauge 2-6-4 tank loco

(F) New Heywood Stock

Postby Gerry Balding » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have attached some pics of my recently completed Heywood stock. These are top wagons, flat wagons and the Duffield Bank bogie parcels / barke van. These have been scratchbuilt from plasticard and use Sidelines running gear.

Thanks to Steve Bennett for producing the Heywood style bogies and his help on putting the pics in this post.

Best Wishes
Gerry Balding
Norwich
Norfolk
UK

MilesB
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby MilesB » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:45 am

Gerry

Nice models -- but one query -- with no criticism intended. In the third photo the van is coupled to Katie, and compared with photos of the real thing, the relative proportions look wrong -- is one of the models slightly out of scale? The van looks a bit too small (low) compared with the loco.

Miles

Gerry Balding
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, football, films, the works of James Ellroy. I am also the part owner of a 15" gauge 2-6-4 tank loco

Postby Gerry Balding » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:29 pm

Well spotted Miles! Steve Bennett did comment to me last weekend on how the model shows up the low height of the original, especially when a figure is placed on it. Both models are to 1:24 scale. The parcels van was built from a plan by Mike Decker in "Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review" no.52. The plan is to 1:24 scale and the height from rail level to the top of the roof is given as 5'-3". I have checked my model and it is the same scale height.

The model of Katie was taken from plans (also to 1:24) in the Smithers book (I know there is a debate about the accuracy of these drawings) and the height from rail level to the top of the chimney is 5'-11". Therefore Katie will appear higher than the parcels van by about 8 scale inches. To me, 5'-3" with a door size that is smaller would make the van very impractical!

Also in the Smithers book (page 44) there is a comtemporary drawing of the Duffield Bank Railway closed passenger coach. This gives the height from rail level again as 5'-3". It seems that the early Heywood stock was a standard height. Interestingly, the height of the later EHR bogie brake van is given as 6' which is the same as Ursula.

As the DBR brake van was taken out of service it 1925, there are few pictures of it in service. The second edition of the W.J.K. Davies book on the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway has a picture (page fifty eight) of Muriel coupled chimney first to the parcels van at Boot. The difference in height is clearly noticeable. Other photos of the van behind the scale Bassett-Lowke locos may make the van look bigger than it really is.

I hope this clarifies the point.

I still have a spare set of Heywood bogies and I am looking for a suitable vehicle to add to my fleet ...
Gerry Balding

Norwich

Norfolk

UK

Return to “Modelling Matters”