Design and Construction of the Wildcat Brewing Co.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:59 pm

foswaldy13 wrote:Me too Steve. I have this weeks race set up to record on the dvr. Lets just hope its not like last week when I log on to Gnatterbox and someone posts who won before I get a chance to watch it. :cry:

Ouch!! Still it's better than the days when the *didn't* broadcast it at "silly am" and you had to avoid TV/Radio/Newspapers until they showed it in the afternoon.

Sorry for hijacking the thread Foswaldy... it's a nice layout plan, plenty of opportunity for some nice set pieces - though I think I prefer the edited version where the turnouts at the front are at an angle.
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi

For many years formula races were boaring. For hours cars were running in circles and always a red one won.

I know, not a single bolt has been nailed down yet at the new brewery.
But the Kraehwinkel Bauhaus society has tried to smuggle in some of the golden beer for the 9o Year anniveriry

Unfortunately the local Anti-Foreign-Beer Liga stopped the train. It´s tar & feathers time again.

Have Fun

Juergen

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Music, photography, travelling, College Football

Postby foswaldy13 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:29 pm

KEG wrote:For many years formula races were boaring. For hours cars were running in circles and always a red one won.

Well, The races could be better if there was a bit more passing and the Tifosi's cars are already looking strong again this week.

And I think Wildcat Brewing just hired you as a manager KEG. You are now manage the assembly of beer boxes seeing as you now have made more than 10 times as many cases as I have. The only problem is the position pays nothing.
Matt Oswald

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:27 pm

You asked for comments on the track plan - revised version looks much better Matt however I'm puzzled by the complexity of the Fiddle area.
It seems that you plan to make up trains on the two left hand sidings then move to right hand siding and then back out onto the continuous run.
Isn't this over complex bearing in mind the "visual" action is in front of the buildings.
I guess the layout is for your own pleasure and won't be taken to shows?
I would suggest that you make the continuous run pass into the Fiddle area and add a passing loop. You can then have two trains ready to run in same or alternate directions. If you need other tracks make them independent for storing stock and just move items as required onto the two tracks that link to the viewing side.
Passing loops are quite common in the UK on Show layouts. At the show I was at last weekend one large OO layout had 12 of them!
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby foswaldy13 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:39 pm

All switching will actually be done in the main part of the layout. The "fiddle tracks" are actually staging for the "maintenace of way" train and the Emmett inspired "fire train" Rather than think of that area as a fiddle area, it probably should be thought of as storage for whole trains.
Although now that you mentioned it, I just thought of a new design for that area. I wil post a quick sketch in a little while.
Matt Oswald

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby foswaldy13 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:47 pm

That was quick and easy.

Thanks for the input Gerry. That helps in three ways, Simplifies the plan, eliminates a turnout, and extends the overall length of the sidings.
Matt Oswald

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:27 pm

I would go even further Matt, taking the rear part of the oval behind the backscene.
This would give two advantages. Firstly, the train would spend less time inside the buildings, you can guarantee, if it is going to come off the track, it will do so in the place where you have least access to it, for example, inside the buildings.
The second and this may not appeal, it would leave the buildings clear to add some detail inside them. I'm thinking mainly the warehouse part here, so you could have the doors open with a glimpse inside, adding to the scenic interest. This could be done in front of the train the way you have it now, but by not having the train running through that building at all, it gives more scope for making the interior more of a feature.

Just a thought :wink:
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby foswaldy13 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Thanks for the advice Steve, and everyone else. I really do appreciate it.

How does this look?

Matt Oswald

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi,

Moving the rear part of the looü out of the building makes sense. I wouldn´t trust a swich inside a building or in a tunnel.

Next thing I´d suggest, visit a brewery in the neighbourhood. They love tourists and normally are proud to show their craft & trade. After having ssen a brewery from inside, you´l prpbably will move the aging and bottling area next to the brewing area.

You can position the warehouse in the remotest corner. Beertrucks seen from the side look much better anyway, than seen from the front.

But be careful, lorries are much larger than Gn15 trains. Even this little Ford TT is almost a foot long.

Of course you need a beergarden for your visitors Maybe on the roof of one of the buildings. Mybe there is even room for annother train line on a 2nd level. Important is the right music. Shiner beer polkas, Tex Mex or Cajun can´ t be a wrong choice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLICq9RkWQw&feature=related Beware of Bavarian Oktoberfest Music.

Have Fun

Juergten

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:12 pm

KEG wrote:Of course you need a beergarden for your visitors Maybe on the roof of one of the buildings. Mybe there is even room for annother train line on a 2nd level.
a G9 line hauling kegs out to tables and the bar? 8)
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:54 pm

foswaldy13 wrote:Image

If you are still open to suggestions;
How about shortening the siding behind the back scene, and then extending that siding beside the aging and bottling plant that runs towards the warehouse. i.e. opening/closing door in the warehouse, and track that runs through it to the hidden area.
Operation: you could set up load and or wagons on the hidden siding track, then open the door, drive in with the loco, and pick the wagon up, drive out and close the door again?

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby foswaldy13 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:06 pm

KEG wrote: Next thing I´d suggest, visit a brewery in the neighbourhood.

Actually I have visited both of the major St. Louis Areas Breweries. The Schlafley Brewery and the main Anheuser Busch Brewery. The Schlafley brewery is not a good example as it all fits in one building, and everything is piped from one station to the next. The AB brewery is a better prototype as it has grown and evolved over time.

My first design, had the brewhouse and the Aging/ Bottling Facitiliy next to each other, as would make logical sense. But I seperated them in order to add some operating interest to the layout. If the buildings were directly next to each other there would be no need to use the train to ship barrels of beer from one building to the next.
Matt Oswald

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:45 am

New plan looks good.

I do wonder if it might be worth repositioning the lorries/trucks so the viewer gets to see more than just the cab and allow for some potential viewing of unloading?
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:14 am

Hi,

I don´t know many breweries or factories with its own railsystem inside.

As a matter of fact, I only heard of the Guiness brewery http://mikes.railhistory.railfan.net/r105.html which had an extensive railway with 1 foot 10 inch gauge.

The Merck chemical factory in Darmstadt had their production halls connected by a 500mm gauge line. Some people use models of their box cars from the Lasergang Shop with suitable bogies on Gn15 track

Have you made up your mind yet, in which year the brewery will be settled? In the early thirties or in more recent times.

Have Fun

Juergen

Alan
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railway Modeling, Good Wine and Plentiful Food

Postby Alan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:10 am

foswaldy13 wrote:How does this look?
Turnouts are simpler to install but can give trouble, especially if hidden. Now you've got the loop going behind the scenes, you've got alternatives for a larger fiddle yard:
  • The loop continues across/through a cassette, with other cassettes available for swapping
  • Same idea but using Peco Loco Lifts. Shortliner has a thread on here where he's joined two together
  • The straight part of the loop is actually a traverser/transfer table. You could get two tracks each side at a squeeze.
These are just suggestions, not necessarily feasible.
Alan Rogers, CEO of Chagrin Mines - Gn15
Annoying Questioner of Established Protocol & Procedure

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:37 am

KEG wrote:I don´t know many breweries or factories with its own railsystem inside.

Take a look at the brewing capital of England at Burton-on-Trent

http://www.burton-on-trent.org/1-Histor ... ilways.htm

A lot of it was standard gauge, but many of the breweries had narrow gauge internal systems for moving stuff around. I dont think there was anything smaller than 2 foot gauge, but there was so much, I wouldn't want to say that for sure.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

greengiant
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 7mm, O-16.5, GN15 and 2 foot

Postby greengiant » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:28 pm

I would add another point at the back on the right to complete the loop, that way you can enter either road from either direction.

Martin
Martin

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby foswaldy13 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:13 pm

Thanks for the ideas everyone. It seems as though everyone thinks I need more staging in the back. The back area is only intended to hold 5 or maybe 6 wagons and a loco or two. Honestly, The only reason there is even room in the back is because I already had a 4'x5' baseboard made. My first designs I was going to cut 12" off the width to make it 3x5 but decided since I already had it made I would just add some storage to the back. All operation of the layout is intended to take place from the front. Any fiddle area in the back is just a bonus.

I know not many breweries had railroads, however I wanted an industry I was interested in and would be something different than most other layouts.

Thanks for the link Steve. The next Gn15 layout may take some ideas from that.
Matt Oswald

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby foswaldy13 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:30 am

I built a quick 1/8 size mockup of the layout to see what it might look like.

I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures, but I am getting very tired and did not feel like taking the time to take better ones. Hope everyone has a great saturday night, or Sunday morning for all you on the other side of the pond.
Matt Oswald

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:52 am

It looks Super, man! :D :D :D

Photo quality is fine for this purpose ... this will be really impressive and interesting ...

Smart Aleck segment: what, no 1/8 size trucks, freight and people? :lol:
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby foswaldy13 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:11 am

Thanks for the compliments Dallas.

Actually, I did build a "loco" and a couple flat cars just to see size compared to the building. It was pretty much the effect I wanted, they really looked small in their setting. I just didnt photograph them as they were only rough pieces of foamcore with bits of cardboard as wheels.

I didnt go so far as to do the trucks or freight though. You will notice I didnt even build the loading docks.
Matt Oswald

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:55 am

Four stories in Gn15, now that is going to be impressive :shock: :shock:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:08 am

I`d be content with that as my finished layout, I would just change scales! :twisted:
So here is A Wildcat beer label (a Labatts product)
http://www.beerlabels.com/labels/labels ... -beer.html

All jokes aside I like the way you are going with this. It is not THE tallest but it`s in the top 2 :wink: that I can think of. I think the siding for your storage at the back should be more of a passing type, this lets you pull your extra train straight through to put it in play, not having to back it up on a covered turnout in your brewhouse which often can be tricky.
Scott B

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:54 pm

Nice mock up Matt, really brings home how big this is going to be. It should look really impressive with the buildings towering over the trains. Really looking forward to seeing it take shape.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby foswaldy13 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:43 am

I finished construction on the first loco for the Brewery tonight, A Sidelines Davenport Conversion. I just have to prime and paint it, however, I have not yet decided what the railroads color scheme will be, so I may just prime it for now. My current thought is black frame, with some combo of red and silver. Maybe red hood, and silver letters. I may have to photshop something to see what I like. Thats all for now. Have a good weekend everyone.
Matt Oswald

Return to “Modelling Matters”