Belle Lane - Santo's restaurant and Coffee house.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Belle Lane - Santo's restaurant and Coffee house.

Postby Little Andi. » Tue May 05, 2009 2:14 pm

IMPORTANT MODERATOR'S ANNOUNCEMENT After the Great P Bucket Disaster lots of photos have been lost, we have been able retrieve some but these are now at the end of this thread as it's impractical to replace each photo in its ideal spot in the thread.

Hello again all............

This project has been mentioned in the "Hello" part of the forum. So I thought I'd outline here what it is I'm trying to achieve?

Basically it's a street scene "Belle Lane", and is to be rendered as a dioramic backdrop. In my mind there are a series of interlinking stories and drama's that will be illustrated with a cast of characters - sort of like a "soap" if you will.
Anyway this is the first of the addresses and will be the home of "Stella, and Vicky" - and more about them later.

So, the front door and porch to Stella's flat - No 6 Belle Lane. ...............

As an aside it's pretty much to the bi-scale of 1:24/25. Being actually measured for ease to the now classic 1mm equals 1 inch.

There's a little bit more to bring this portion of the project up to speed if you're interested, but thought I'd post it as it was constructed. Not a tutorial persae [sic] but rather a potted history of the assembly so far.

I realise I'm going to need the collective efforts and input of many members experience to help me sort out the problems of including a Narrow Gauge element within the project as it stands. I'm envisaging a base length of around four foot or so, depth of a foot, no more than 18 inches I wouldn't of imagined.
I know it's difficult without a full understanding of what's intended - there is a strong philosophy behind what I'm trying to achieve, but suffice to say there will be a proper street scene spanning a timescale history between the 20's up to 1959!
Again the street will be populated with a cast of characters and set into dioramic poses for a photographic record - presented as a history of Belle Lane as a community. [The notion being that the Photograph becomes a two dimensional model - whilst the three dimensional one is allowed to grow and evolve naturally to spawn yet another 2D model at a later historical point.......... da' ya' get it?]
So, the first problem here is to come up with a plausible reason to have a N/G track running along or through or across the street that can be seen to have naturally evolved as the village/town/area developed and grew. [I would prefer an industrial flavour] But if it could be possible to accommodate as many different reasons all the better.

Much MUCH more to talk about - Explain, hope you can bear with me till I can bring my thinking into focus for you all??

All the best for now.........
Andi.
Last edited by Little Andi. on Wed May 06, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KBO .......................... Andi.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue May 05, 2009 3:07 pm

Wonderful detailing, really good to see it up close like that. I'm sure I delivered newspapers to that flat when I was a kid :lol: .

As for incorporating a railway into the street/storyline, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. An industrial type is far more likely than a passenger carrying one and though very little was recorded, there were numerous small tramways in towns around the country in years gone by. There are not many places in the country, that with a bit of research, reveal tramways in their history.

A lot will depend on where your street is going to be located geographically, as these small lines often served industries specific to the area. For a bit more of a general view though, you might find some ideas in this old article
http://www.carendt.com/articles/Industry/index.html
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Tue May 05, 2009 3:15 pm

I love the detail of the doorways :D I really look forward to seeing how you incorporate the railway.
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: Belle Lane - Stella and Vicki's flat.

Postby chris stockdale » Tue May 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Little Andi. wrote:So, the first problem here is to come up with a plausible reason to have a N/G track running along or through or across the street that can be seen to have naturally evolved as the village/town/area developed and grew. [I would prefer an industrial flavour] But if it could be possible to accommodate as many different reasons all the better.

Great modelling.

I wonder if this thread might spark some ideas on how a bit of railway could fit in:

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?p= ... ght=#52636

cheers

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Tue May 05, 2009 5:56 pm

Chris, Dave Steve.....................

Many MANY thanks for your input, everything you posted will be of use. As in no uncertain terms I'm empty of understanding regards N/G and it's prototypicallity. Having said that the links provided did prove one thing and that's the fact that so long as you make it plausible most everything could be entertained??

Geographically I intend to keep it reasonably local to myself - So East Mid's really. I'm not going to get all Rivet counter about this as the main reason I've chosen to build Belle Lane was to get away from fidelity pressures and just have a bit of fun with my hobby again. The notion of adding Narrow Gauge and potentially introducing a "train set" element really appeals............ so while I want it to have a measure of credibility I'm not going to have a break down if it can't be proven completely prototypically - is this an healthy enough mindset??

I'm going to rattle on and whack in some more update details so I can try and settle what it is I'm doing in folks minds.

So, I am a little further on with this project as I've mentioned and here's a few more pic's till I catch up with myself - having said that I don't want to bombard the board with posts so I'll take it steady over the coming days!

A couple more pic's so you can see this in better context.............

So the beginnings of the background story around 1950 I guess. This is the first time away from home of the rather well to do Stella, and this represents the front door and landing window of her flat. Determined to make it on her own she has however taken a flatmate - the rather delicious and very popular "Vicky".
The initial idea being that Stella's well heeled parents can visit with the stable of upmarket and rather swanky cars - Stella's "tallyho" boyfriends - and not of course forgetting the very popular Vicky whose boyfriends include besides the local lads, also the [it seems] entire contingent of the nearby American airbase!!!
Not only that but right next door is an Italian Restaurant and coffee shop - Santo's.
For the record Santo's was originally a Lyons Tea House, the flat belonging to the Manager and Manageress, then a Hip-Cat Coffee house and Jazz joint after the war, this when the flat became self contained and was rented by an Airman who'd chosen to stay this side of the pond.

Although this back-story may sound a little tedious, and perhaps even a bit obsessive? It really is just a means of making sure with such a complicated and ongoing project it maintains an aire of continuity and provenance.

So hopefully you can see that with passing vehicles - tradesmen and the neighbours there are boundless possibilities for the creation of "pictorials - storytelling and the photography of auto' and train based subjects and plot-lines".

Andi
Last edited by Little Andi. on Tue May 05, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Tue May 05, 2009 6:04 pm

:--------------------

Here's the beginnings of the adjoining building Santo's. By day a bustling Coffee bar, and by night an Italian restaurant of some romantic repute.

This gives you perhaps the first clues as to the construction methodology. Nothing more complicated than good old fashioned Paper and Card. On the right the side wall all but ready for paint and finish - to the left the ongoing face of the building showing how my thinking is transfered to the base structure ready for any cutting out and dressing.

This next pic' just shows how the two component parts are constantly offered together in order to make sure they mate acurately.........

And finally the left and facing walls are ready to be part finish painted, the remainder to be fully completed when they're assembled as a unit.........

Just a small point of note, the barred cellar you see is actually the basement kitchen of the restaurant, and as such will be finished from within with this skylight arrangement.............

As it turns out very little can be seen of the detail of this little cameo part. but to miss it out would've left such a huge and very visible void that would have done nothing but destroy the illusion.

Here's hoping you are finding this build at least an amusing diversion, it's a slow process and as soon as I'm caught up to where I am with this it's going to be obvious just how much of an exercise this project is going to be!

All the very best for now - and thanks ..................... Andi

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue May 05, 2009 7:00 pm

Superb Andi ranks alongside the best of building modelling that I've seen.
Out of interest what do you use for your drainpipes - my guess is drinking straws?
GerryB
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue May 05, 2009 7:36 pm

If you are going to keep posting pics of that quality Andi, I dont think you will get any objections around here :) . Lovely modelling and we can all learn from studying the photo's. Already making me feel that I need to take more time on modelling buildings. Really like the subtle weathering as well, yet more lessons being learned :wink: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby dieselwater » Tue May 05, 2009 7:56 pm

I can't help but keep coming back to admire these buildings. There's so much to learn just by observing how you've made them. The celler window work is so suttle but brilliant at the same time 8)

David.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Tue May 05, 2009 8:02 pm

Little Andi. wrote:. Nothing more complicated than good old fashioned Paper and Card.

Groan - but it's such a good execution of paper and card. :evil:

Meanwhile, why not have fruit from storage to say, shop, market barrow, whatever, as the reason for a bit of NG? Could simply be a couple of hand worked wagons (until the Gn effect really kicks in and you just have to have a loco :wink: )

Gerry has been good enough to highlight some suitable bits:

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=fruit

bestest

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: modelling in card

Postby Geeky Gecko » Tue May 05, 2009 8:29 pm

Great modelling Andi..It calls to mind the work of the chap who models dioramas of New York. Are the models based on actual properties, or just imagined amalgamations? As for the railway, how about linking an older factory with its newer premises following expansion. Perhaps a brick arch and wrought iron gates...down the road to a concrete Art Deco establishment. Whatever you come up with I'll be watching with interest and touch of envy.
Stefan

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Tue May 05, 2009 10:21 pm

One reason for a small tramway in the street was for the removal of 'night soil' (need I say more?). However where these existed and I can think of two, they were down the back alleys of the villages in which they were situated.

There were at least two lines built as part of the village services and which were subsequently utilised for transporting the inhabitants around. One of these was in Northumberland and steam operated I seem to remember and the other I am thinking of is the horse tram at Pwlleli.

Another example I can think of was that which served a mill and took the flour to the railhead some distance away. It ran down the village street. An article on that line appeared in an edition of The Narrow Gauge, the magazine of the Narrow Gauge Railway Society (well worth joining by the way).

Finally I think that the Oakhill Brewery tramway travelled at least a short way through the village before striking out across country.

I don't think that any of these passed examples of the style of architecture you are modelling but there is plenty of scope for imagination.

chris

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Tue May 05, 2009 10:47 pm

Geeky Gecko wrote:Great modelling Andi..It calls to mind the work of the chap who models dioramas of New York. Are the models based on actual properties, or just imagined amalgamations? As for the railway, how about linking an older factory with its newer premises following expansion.

I think you're referring to a guy called Alan Wolfson? Does a lot of small scale Dio's of urban street scenes.

Erm! - some will be based on actual architecture, but mostly they'll be an amalgam of sympathetic styling cues that give me the flavour that I'm looking for.

And I like the idea of a "linking" run of rail, saves having to justify any kind of a railhead, more because of space constraints than anything. This whole project is built around the notion of a Medieval Bell Foundry that has evolved through the ages as such, then a blacksmiths then a coachwork's and finally a motor engineers - most all the previous serving a large rural catchment area so perhaps this could somehow be tied together - look out for Miss Lemons cottage!!!!!

Andi.

Oh sorry -- Gerry!! The drain pipe is nothing more than the neutral flex from a length of 13amp twin and earth. The flue out of the cellar kitchen is a flexistraw - works great for representing thin wall tubing of any kind and comes in several diameters - the flue is 6inch. [6mm drinking straw]].

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Tue May 05, 2009 11:37 pm

G,day Andrew. First up , welcome to the forum.
Just a thought on the rail line, in the cities I have seen hospitals that have expanded in bits and pieces built add hock around an area. What about a laundry line coming out of a portal, travelling along the street and down an alley or into a building. Big baskets on small trollies, either hand pushed or small loco..............
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Wed May 06, 2009 5:31 am

Hi,

This surely is some great architectural modelling. I am always amazed, what can be archieved with cardboard. I will follow this thread with great interest.e

The first thing which comes to mind regarding rails in a street are streetcars. The Spanish firm Occre offers some very fine kits in 1 : 24
http://www.glendalejunction.co.uk/OcCre.html

On the Continent in some tows it was a common sight, to meet a steam loco in the middle of a narrow street until the middle of the Sixties. Mainly in Metre gauge track, sometimes two feet / 600mm Today the Steam train on 900mm rail through the streets of Bad Doberan is a major tourist attraction:
[url]http://www.molli-bahn.de/index.php?id=86&tx_jmgallery_pi1[albumUid]=8[/url]

A four feet wide layout does not offer too much spache for a grown up narrow gauge train. But a 15 inch line might look a bit tiny running along the pedestrian walk.

Have Fun

Juergen

Harald
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: private railway company in northern Germany in the late 50's (H0, 1:87) and - of course - Gn15!

Postby Harald » Wed May 06, 2009 5:32 am

I'm speechless ... :shock:

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Wed May 06, 2009 1:27 pm

Well cheps.........

Here's a further update. I'll keep popping these in until I get us all up to speed. This first pic' gives an overall idea of how these pieces fit together. Atypically what looks quite good and reasonable on it's own always seems to compete with its neighbour when displayed, I'm guessing that balancing the overall look is going to be one of the critical areas of maintaining a good looking diorama.
So, a square on shot of the relationship between Santo's and Stella's flat next door.......................

And this looking down as if from a double decker bus. This may sound really silly??? But, as you know I've actually tried to accommodate the notion of story telling and the fact that several images or "stories" could well interlink and provide a continuity of expression! Am I getting ahead of myself or is this not what a diorama/layout is all about?

Here's a lower eye level shot and with a pic' of Maria's -[Santo's daughter's] Alfa placed in shot to give a sense of depth and scale for the first time.

As can be easily seen there is a lot more to do yet, the windows need curtains and blinds etc, when the two buildings are firmly brought together Santo's will go into final finish and it'll receive its full weathering. At this point I'm thinking already about establishing an environment so I'll have to think about paving and road - street furniture, all sorts of little odds and ends. And of course the local inhabitants - this is also when the very notion of including a Narrow-gauge element first bubbled to the surface!

At this point I'm already working on the entrance and steps to Santo's, I'll post some pic's of it in the raw so you can see the thinking behind the processes??

Cheers all............... Andi.

Hope you guy's are OK with me posting this sans narrow gauge for the moment? - Truly I am here with honest intentions although you may yet regret letting me stay!!! - smiling now!

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed May 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Little Andi. wrote:Hope you guy's are OK with me posting this sans narrow gauge for the moment? - Truly I am here with honest intentions although you may yet regret letting me stay!!! - smiling now!

I think we would be more upset if you stopped :) Keep them coming, the more the better :wink: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Wed May 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Little Andi. wrote:
Hope you guy's are OK with me posting this sans narrow gauge for the moment? - Truly I am here with honest intentions although you may yet regret letting me stay!!! - smiling now!

As I commented to your intro - there's no going back, you're ours - and that was before we got a lot of these wonders to behold :D

cheers

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby dieselwater » Wed May 06, 2009 1:52 pm

Very much smiling :D Please keep them coming 8)

David.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed May 06, 2009 3:47 pm

Magic. 8)
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Wed May 06, 2009 5:00 pm

Hello again..............I hope this speed building is not making anyone giddy??

Just a simple update post really, and mainly to keep a continuity going for those that may be following this as a build sequence?

So, here's the basic structure of the next two walls before any kind of decoration.............

And here it is with the dressing all applied and intact!.........

It looks like little may have been done? although dressing the walls is a relatively quick procedure most of the time is taken trying to establish some kind of credibility with the image I'm portraying.
Most is brick of course but the area that will feature inside the porch is actually going to be a bottle green glazed tile, the drawing up on the wall will be an old painted signwork that used to advertise the buildings previous occupancy namely an original "Lyons Tea House". This of course will be very faded but was mainly utilised as a device to break up that expanse of brick - plus I thought it might look groovy.

All the best for now............. Andi.

Ps........... Notice the brickwork around the cellar window has been finished, and the colour on the front has been modelled with a little more detailing in order that I can see what it is I'm after as I paint around the corner.

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Music, photography, travelling, College Football

Postby foswaldy13 » Wed May 06, 2009 5:30 pm

Absolutely stunning work.
Matt Oswald

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Wed May 06, 2009 5:53 pm

HI,

Well, I see it grow, but I do not know how it is done. Do you actually glue single bricks to the cardboard?

Or do you work with techniques like this Swedish fellow, which I found at some Canadian forum: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23577 The building starts at page 6.

Have Fun

Juergen

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Wed May 06, 2009 10:39 pm

Very nice model Andi, I'd be interested to know more about your painting technique. There's real artistry and subtle use of colour there, most impressive :D
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Return to “Modelling Matters”