Inglebox

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:56 am

WOW, you have been busy Petar, it is really coming together well. Considering you must have spent a fair amount of time getting the couplings and magnets sorted, I'm surprised that you managed so much progress on the layout. I think your experiences here will come in useful for others too, so this thread will be a useful reference in times to come, keep up the good work.

Cant leave without mentioning Martins figure, it looks great, even in it's unpainted form it is easy to see that Martin is also moving forward. Great work both of you.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Versif
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Versif » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:44 pm

Thanks for the comments Steve. Probably a how not to do it :lol: Martin was right to use a wooden box, the inherent problems in the current one keep coming back to haunt me.
But it is proving a great training ground for ideas and just trying them out.

As for Martin's figure, a little work has taken place on it.

Naturally he's called Ginger and he's the gaffer of the works. Came out a bit too red so he nearly ended up as Rufus. But I think he looks like a Ginger and so Ginger it is.

Boringly simple colour scheme reflecting my abilities :) Just 3 shades of blue, red, orange and vomit brown (GW paint for those that don't know), steel toecaps, tanned flesh
and voila. Too idle to paint the flat cap a different colour! Still got Jon and Fred to paint but it's getting there. The ballast has dried out. Still looks like a multigrain snack bar. :lol:
I'm going to try painting part of it with a dry matt lacquer to see if that improves it. If that doesn't suit then I'll drybrush with suitable browns

Cheers.
Petar Kanuritch

GnOtts Gn15 Gnutter?

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:38 pm

Versif wrote:Boringly simple colour scheme reflecting my abilities :) Just 3 shades of blue, red, orange and vomit brown (GW paint for those that don't know), steel toecaps, tanned flesh
and voila. Too idle to paint the flat cap a different colour! Still got Jon and Fred to paint but it's getting there. The ballast has dried out. Still looks like a multigrain snack bar. :lol:
I'm going to try painting part of it with a dry matt lacquer to see if that improves it. If that doesn't suit then I'll drybrush with suitable browns

Figure painting is a subject in itself and a lot depends on what effect you want to create with the figures. If you want them to blend into and become part of a scene, keeping the colours limited and subtle will help. On the other hand if you want them to stand out on their own, several different and bright colours will do that. Personally, I think Ginger looks fine, even at several times lifesize :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Versif
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Versif » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:20 pm

Well it's time for another update (sounds of mass groans and assorted threats) :lol:

Some painting and additonal scenic work has now taken place. Of course the art of bodging has gone completly OTT to counter the ongoing diasters I make out of a simple modelling exercise.

That rubber band is the true art of the bodger. It and it's counterpart on the rear keep the 2 halves of the layout together.

Those 2 drawing pins above it hold a piece of card that forces the warped foamcore back into shape. Similar to the one at the rear. This will in bodger style be converted into a virtue by making it a scenic feature. All are detachable to keep it possible to fit the lot all back in the box. Must check it again :)

Note the additional cut in the view blocker on the nearside track (unpainted bit). That's because Fred otherwise wallops his head everytime he goes through. Roof of the same is made from balsa and simply slots on.

I think this is turning into a guide on how not to do it :lol:

Cheers
Petar Kanuritch

GnOtts Gn15 Gnutter?

Versif
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Versif » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:25 pm

And now for something completely similar. You can see the other bodge to align things again. Just noticed the roof is not fixed on properly but it does work, honest :) Essentially walls painted blue, scenic grass and bristles added. Latter may be dry brushed eventually to represent large weeds.

Petar Kanuritch

GnOtts Gn15 Gnutter?

Versif
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Versif » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:41 pm

Close up of the grass etc. amd the roof straightened. Must cut that pin back once I've cut out a suitable outline. Essentially all down to painting and some minor scenic work now. Which will be a great relief for all I'm sure :P

Basically some grass on the left hand side, paint the cardboard, make a shed outline and paint for the right hand side, paint the stock and driver and you'll all be spared further torture. Until my next layout that is :twisted:

I'd definitely use wood next time to avoid some of the warping problems. I suspect the foamcore would be fine when resting on a solid underfame but as part has very limited support this exacerbates any problems. I think Steve's comment to me at the show about the ballast making this worse is also probably correct on reflection. The traverser would be more refined as well to improve ease of operation. I was particularly impressed with Steve's version.

Oh and any box used would be checked for flatness and squareness before building commenced! Need wooden wine box like Martin's!

But at least it runs and you can actually shunt it without major problems. Biggest tends to be kadees recoupling if track not dead level at the 2 joints but pinning seems to have sorted this.

It's been a very good learning exercise, albeit particularly frustrating at times.

Cheers
Petar Kanuritch

GnOtts Gn15 Gnutter?

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:45 pm

Looks like you are taking art of bodging to new levels Petar :) it is looking really good. The greenery is definately making a big difference and really tying things together. With regard to Fred banging his head, I'm guessing it is because he is leaning back too far. A simple bodge to get around this is to give him a cushion to sit on, about 2mm thick should do the trick, hopefully there will still be enough headroom to get him through the doorway :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:24 am

As most will have noticed, Gerry has been digging around in the archives to highlight some of the long forgotten layouts to feature in the Virtual Exhibition section.
It seemed a real shame that this innovative idea of a modular layout that fits in a shoebox by the sadly departed Petar should be lost.
So a dig through some old hard drives and I think I have recovered most if not all the photo's from this thread and uploaded them to the Gn15.info site to preserve them for the life of the forum.
Unfortunately, they will all be grouped here, rather than inserted into the text, but should be in roughly the right order and hopefully make some sense :)

I think that is the lot and hope you enjoy them as much as I did looking at them again.

EDIT : Seems the trackplan didnt work very well when compressed, so here it is full size which should be easier to read.

Last edited by Steve Bennett on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:29 am

spooky.
I haven't looked on Gnatterbox for so long (shame) :oops:
The first post I see is Gerry's. I can't believe it's been 6 years. Strangely I just had that ginger-bearded figure out last night.. my daughter was fascinated by the monkey-faced figures..(I feel some Gn15 brewing.)

Nice to read through this, but a tinge of sadness as Petar and David are no longer with us.
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:41 pm

MOG wrote:Nice to read through this, but a tinge of sadness as Petar and David are no longer with us.

I can't believe I hadn't posted in the thread before, not much to add at this stage but to agree with Martin that it is sad that Petar isn't around to see his layout join the Virtual Exhibition and that David never completed his loo seat...

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:32 pm

A very inspirational layout... one that appears as if even I might be able to build sometime.

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Photos of Petar's layout

Postby AndyA » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:38 am

Steve, thanks for finding the piccies. Bitter-sweet memories made even moreso by the fact that the guy who told me of Petar's death was himself killed in a road accident last month. Since the guy was also into model railways (albeit 5" and upwards) I have emailed a link to the thread to his widow, who is going to add it into the electronic 'memory book'.

Brought it home to me that I must get around to finishing some stuff.

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Re: Photos of Petar's layout

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed May 09, 2012 2:04 pm

AndyA wrote:Steve, thanks for finding the piccies. Bitter-sweet memories made even moreso by the fact that the guy who told me of Petar's death was himself killed in a road accident last month. Since the guy was also into model railways (albeit 5" and upwards) I have emailed a link to the thread to his widow, who is going to add it into the electronic 'memory book'.

Brought it home to me that I must get around to finishing some stuff.

regards
Andy A

I've just stumbled upon Petar's Photobucket site so if anyone wishes to see the whole range of photos taken they are here:

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/ ... 20Shoebox/
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu May 10, 2012 9:55 am

Good to see the pics are still there Gerry, good find.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Return to “Modelling Matters”