Struppe Storage Battery Locos of Lainz/Vienna

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Postby mad gerald » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:06 pm

Dallas_M wrote:Townsfolk: Argh, It's a zombie!
Groundskeeper: Don't worry, he's just heading out for super glue. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:53 am

Of course, it'll be hard to get out and go to the hobby shop if I forget anything in my burial list!

Don´t worry, there are plenty of dealers in Hell. Most of them sooner or later.

Don´t worry about those Gn15 Zombies. they have a tube of superglue in their pockets all of the time for repairing themselves.

Jave Fun

Juergen

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Postby mad gerald » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi all,

just a short update. Based on new photos with measurements I created a second cardboard mockup with slightly different proportions:

I am very thankful to all who supported me researching. I especially like to thank Mr. Kurt Stanek for measurement as well as the people of the Versorgungsbahn Lainz, Mr. Franz Straka and all fellow modellers in Germany, Austria and worldwide.

Some more details can be seen on my website. I'm now going to make sketches for a styrene version ... :D :D :D

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:27 am

Just been to your blog. The changes that you have made to the second model are very subtle but do improve the loco; it looks more "chunky" for want of a better word :)

Simon.

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:08 pm

I'd like to add a second photo to draw a better comparison:

Finally my digi-cam broke yesterday - after 4 years and taking about 6000 photos ... :? ... so I had to re-shoot some pictures ...

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:08 pm

Oh no, double diesels ... I'm getting cross-eyed now and I can't tell the difference! :roll: :shock: :? :lol:

Just kidding ... I think you're on the right track ... even though there isn't any track in the picture. :wink: Also, the paint colors are nice.
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:36 pm

Dallas_M wrote: ... I think you're on the right track ...

In this case it's more the left one ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi all,

I spend my whole spare time building another cardboard prototype of the Struppe Akkkulok of Lainz/Vienna:

I discoverd some planning mistakes (mainly not thinking of material thickness at some points). So I am glad I chose the opportunity to build another cardboard variation before the styrene version. I’m using a shortened (on one side) power unit/bogie of a Bachmann® Streetcar, but there are still a few millimeters to much visible in the cab.

Here are the evolution steps:

Additional pictures and information can be found here

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:41 pm

mad gerald wrote:Additional pictures and information can be found here

Hi Gerald --

I really like the proportions of the loco! Also, I see that I could adapt a similar design for an internal-combustion version .... hmm. :wink:

I looked at the additional pictures linked above ... from the bottom view, it seems that the mounting extension on the Bachmann chassis reaches into the cab. Is that the problem? If so, that part of the chassis can be cut away.

Steve Bennett kindly posted this photo in the Bash Fodder thread:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/ ... eyMech.jpg

It shows the original chassis ... and one with the mounting tabs cut away.

From the bottom view on your site, it looks like you could keep the tab on the front and use a mounting screw there ... then cut away the tab at the back and just use some sort of clip to hold the body at the rear.

(Many possibilities there: some sort of interlocking clip ... or epoxy a little angle bracket to the sides of chassis and screw thru those into body, etc.)

Again, I really like the design of the loco ... it has a nice chunky feel ... and the low cab entry is very appealing! 8)
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

www.bouldervalleymodels.com

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:31 pm

Hi Dallas,

thanks for your support.

I already cut one of the mounting tabs away - nevertheless this end still points about 2mm (to much) into to cab. But when I re-adjust the power unit/bogie after I eliminated my planning mistakes everything will be fine ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi all,

I'd just like to report a little progress of the development part of my Struppe Akkulok.

I was still thinking about a better solution regarding the frame to fit both: Gn15 and IIf (26,7mm). So I shortened (1mm) the cut off end of the power bogie with a file and moved it (the power bogie) 1mm towards front. So the back end will not be in the cab any more. I covered the end with an oblique(cardboard) sheet, the original Struppe Akkulok has an oblique metal service cover at the same place ... so everything is fine, in it's place and prepared for the styrene works ... :D

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi all,

just a short note to say hello ... :D

I'm suffering from a lack of time (for modelling), but I'm glad to see you all being busy ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I learned some COREL Draw so I can get a little faster making changes in my sketches. Here's a coupling I tried to draw, printed on and build from cardboard:

I think "the real one" finally has to be build in brass ...

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi all,

when I was mounting my selfmade styrene parts together, I discovered how inaccurate handmade parts could be: Just 0,5 mm difference, both measuring AND cutting, lead to a inner frame out of shape. So I was very glad and thankful for some offered help by a modelling mate.

So here's a 3D construction sheet he made (photo published by kind permisson of him) and a prototype made from cnc-drilled styrene parts:

There's some more information and pictures on my website ...

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:42 pm

Looking good Gerald.
When I cut out pairs I cut them slightly oversize, clamp them together and then file them both to the same and right size.
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:13 pm

G'evening all,

I thought, the time could be right for a little report on my current progress ... ?!

Well, the Bachmann® power unit was regauged to 26,7mm (to represent an original gauge of 600mm) ...

... and there were made some minor changes regarding the cab and the inner frame so I built another (third) prototype, so I call this one Struppe3 ...

Unfortunately my Gn15 blog is not up to date so the only possibilty to read and see more at the moment is the corresponding thread on the Buntbahnforum website (for those who do not mind reading german language) ...

http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/viewtopic.php?p=272841#272841

JT Previa
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Industrial Narrow Gauge, slot cars

Postby JT Previa » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:36 am

Fascinating story, prototypes and models. I look forward to your completed models!

Can you tell me the source of the modern figure in the orange overalls?
JT

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi JT,

JT Previa wrote:Can you tell me the source of the modern figure in the orange overalls?

... they made by PREISER® - I think mine are being discontinued, but there are similar ones available at PREISER®'s online shop ...

http://www.preiser-figuren.de/shop.php?mode=show_group&group=E8516A16EF617E888F970F2198C0D666&sort=&s=60&limit=20

... i. e. like these ...

http://www.preiser-figuren.de/detail,2E6ADC392210AD151D926C9882D98C2D,E8516A16EF617E888F970F2198C0D666,1:22_5_Industriearbeiter___-_Preiser_45087.html

JT Previa
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Industrial Narrow Gauge, slot cars

Postby JT Previa » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:21 am

Thank you Gerald! Just right for the modern critter :D
JT

Pitbull
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Pitbull » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:33 am

The Steinhof Hospital is going to be phased out, so if you're looking for prototype information better be quick!
There were other narrow gauge systems in "bug houses" as well:
Santpoort, Holland, had a hand- worked 50cm gauge system. Later they tried an O&K diesel, but in the 1960's they switched over to Unimog trucks.
Süchteln, near Düsseldorf, had a 60cm gauge system worked by O&K OHW electric locos, believed to have succumbed to a World War 2 scrap drive.
Bedburg- Hau a little further up north near the Dutch border had a 50cm gauge system worked by a Hohenzollern fireless steam tram engine until the mid- 1950's.
Schussenried, near Lake Constance, had a 75 cm gauge system in the peat bogs (something for the Regner clients), that shared tracks with the DB Schussenried- Buchau NG line. Train crewmen had to hold DB licences.
Freistatt near Diepholz, Lower Saxony, still has a diesel peat bog line with passenger trains on sundays, although the peat operations have been scaled down a lot in the 1990's.
The Vorwerk Institute in Lübeck built a new NG line (owning one of the last Diema locomotives ever built) connecting the two parts of the hospital in the 1990's.
The OHW locos in Vienna actually ran in the Steinhof (with one F) psychiatric institute, and one of them is preserved in the Freiland NG museum near Linz.
These are informations from an old hand in the business- I know our local nut house from the inside 'cause I've worked there...

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:14 pm

Could you show us a bit more detail on regauging the Bachmann power truck perhaps a couple of top and bottom views and an explaination.
Scott B

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:49 pm

scott b wrote:Could you show us a bit more detail on regauging the Bachmann power truck perhaps a couple of top and bottom views and an explaination.

... I certainly will, but allow me 1 or 2 days ... need to take some photos and am suffering from a lack of time ... :wink:

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi Scott B – and everybody else being interested,

regauging the Bachmann® bogie isn't as complicated as it seems I guess. Nevertheless it wasn't my idea, nor was I able to manage it (lack of skills and tools) … so two modelling mates of mine had the idea – and finally realised it.

The wheels have to be removed, the axles have a diameter of 3mm - 2mm at the end, where the wheels are mounted. With a piece of metall tube (slightly bigger diamter than axle) you have to push the gearwheel of the axle.. Then you ar going to replace the old axles by new ones with a diameter of 3mm (whole axle), but different length – matching your new gauge. The gearwheel has to be squeezed on the axle again - and in the right position to meet the driving part at the end of the motor. The new wheels have to be pushed on the ends of the axle.

The important thing is now, to bend the copper"flags" (180 degrees) so they point outwards instead inwards because they have to get in contact with the outer part of the wheel (spurkranz, don't know the english term) to close the circuit from the rails to the motor.

I hope my explanation was helpful, otherwise please feel free asking in case my description appears to be too vague …

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:18 pm

mad gerald wrote:... because they have to get in contact with the outer part of the wheel (spurkranz, don't know the english term)

English term is 'flange'.

Nice kitbash idea on that motor block.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:40 pm

Gerald,

thanks for this info , I'm in the middle of exactly the same change only I'm going to 32mm gauge.
Did you use the same diameter axle 3mm for the whole axle ? if so did you have any difficulty fitting the wheels back on as they have 2mm holes?

I was thinking of using a 3 mm tube with inner tube of 2mm to fit on to the wheels ......... am I just making it difficult for myself ?
Gordon F

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:40 pm

Gerald looking at the first picture with the gears exposed I am thinking that the worm and worm gear should be lined up so that the tangent of the worm is centered with the gear. I would think that there will be undue wear if this is not the case.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Return to “Modelling Matters”