Self-Acting Haulage Lines.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:03 am

John that is pretty cool, this whole layout is pretty amazing come to think about it.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:48 am

Hi all,
time for agnother long overdue update:

showing all chain paths now under 2mm thick styrene plating. The styrene provides both a smooth surface for the magnets on the chains to skate along under the track and also a solid foundation for the track.

shows the track down at the bottom dead-end - this is rising at about a 1 in 7 gradient. The stone disposal track from the screens is under the deadend.

shows just how tight a fit things are on the stone disposal road for the timber side-dump wagon. On the prototype, this was horse-worked with one Western Scraper timber side dump wagon and was the only piece of 3' gauge trackage on the property.

shows some skips on the tipple deck with temporary planking placed to check the visual effect of the planking.

shows the new timber retaining wall supporting the empties incline as it climbs away uphill

And the full Stage 1 trackplan:
The grey circle is a 600mm train turntable for loading and turining the skips. Operations are set up so that the coupling loops on the skips are always on the uphill side.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:29 am

I see that you are movin' right along now. It looks good John. I like the variety of action and track gauges.
Regards Michael

If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 am

:shock: Wow. that first photo is impressive now. Its going to look incredible when its got scenery on it.

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:31 am

G'day John
Layout's coming along well.
Reminds me a little of Stamping Ground ---- every-time I see it it seems to be just that little bit bigger :!:
I trust that you have already sorted some way of transporting it around :?:
Looking forward to seeing it at its first show
Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:38 am

Hi all, Gnow that Adrian and a couple of other Gnatterboxers have seen it at its first "show" over last Easter at the Australian Narrow Gauge Convention, is there any point in posting the rest of the construction photos?

We were asked to bring the layout along to the Convention as "under construction" so that "all the moving bits" could be seen. A succession of transport dramas (Its only 1000 km each way) unfortunately brought some of the gremlins out, but eventually we were "operational" after almost being a "hole in the floorplan".

Here is what we made it to Melbourne with
and my construction partner Guy, trying to fight off some of the gremlins before our presentation on Saturday afternoon. This photo is of the Stage 1 modules viewed from the bottom of the Incline. All track shown in the trackplan below was down.

Some of the rolling stock at the Water Tank

and the train turntable
:shock: Yes we can get away with dodging the centre pivot this way because of the short length of our coal skips. :)

and a view from the Water Tank towards the Incline

Dan Pickard caught The Incline in action and part of our presentation at the convention in his YouTube of the Convention at about the 3 minute mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQOjXNiGnig

Work has started on creating the hundreds of trees that we are going to need for the layout.
Most will gum trees but there are lots of tree ferns and other stuff as well. This photo was taken before Easter from the 2' gauge track formation between the mine and the incline top on the mountainside at Corrimal

That ought to do for now. Let me know if you think its worthwhile posting the construction photos between the incline top and the train turntable.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:54 pm

I would like to see this built and running. So please post photos of the journey you are on.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, the web, photography, art, outdoor life like camping, biking, paddling canoe etc.

Postby henrix72se » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Same here, we are all looking forward to see this finished,
but the really cool thing is to see it grow bit by bit !!

So yes, please show us progress now and then when you feel like it,

/Henrik
I build Estate, Industrial and Military Light Railways in Fn18 (1/20) scale - http://Laurell.Today/

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:23 am

G'day John
Surely the first outing was 2 years ago in Queensland ?
It was good to see it all together even with its gremlins !
I think its shape will give some exhibition managers nightmares !
Will wait with baited breath for the scenic covering.
Cheers
Adrian Hoad

I might be daft but not stupid.

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Re: Self-Acting Haulage Lines.

Postby Oztrainz » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:13 am

A belated Hi all again,
I have thought long and hard about resuming this thread since getting access back into Gnatterbox after a considerable time trapped outside.
The thoughts have ranged from "should I update this thread at all" and "if so, how"? You'll see why further down in this post.

First thought: It's been a long time since anything was posted against this thread. Perhaps I should let a "sleeping tiger" slumber peacefully rather than rattle its cage with a "bone" of updates? Is there likely to be any interest here in a series of updates? If so about what?

Second thought: the previous post was by Adrian Hoad. Since this thread began back in mid-2009, Adrian has been one of the most enthusiastic "cheerleaders from the sidelines" on here helping to push the Corrimal project forward. Sadly Adrian passed away on the 29th July last year, and Australia lost perhaps one of our most "original" railway modellers and one of the earliest Gn15'ers anywhere. Have a look at his "Far Twittering and Oyster Creek" at http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5941 In a long and enjoyable phone call I was able to answer his questions in that previous post by phore, but I never got back to answer them here. So....
His key question was: Surely the first outing was 2 years ago in Queensland ? My answer was than no, what actual went to the Ipswich Convention in 2011 were actually 2 of the test rigs, one of which was mounted on a module frame. The Steep Grade test rig and the Top End test both mentioned on Page 3.

Sadly Adrian didn't make it to the Bowral Australian Narrow Gauge Convention held over Easter earlier this year. He did get to see the bare bones and some of the operation at the Melbourne 2013 Convention. He never got to see the scenery come down the "hill" and us successfully handle 200 plus loads in intermittent operating periods over the Convention. but he did get to see the YouTubes of the Corrimal Incline hauling coal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn_I3CrbBJk (Novenber 2013) and tipping coal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpHUphBeQNQ (January 2014). The scenery build started in earnest after these 2 videos were shot and some subsequent further testing proved to ourselves that we had our process "reasonably bulletproof".

Third thought: This thread on Gnatterbox was actually the start if what later became the Corrimal Colliery Incline layout. A general series of enquiries here and on a few other forums about whether anyone one had done a self-acting Incline has morphed from an original posting about a Tasmanian incline into a NSW coal-hauler in miniature. So the next question is : Given now that this thread is now largely on the Corrimal Incline and is now about a 2' gauge railway, should this thread remain as a "Modelling Matters" thread or should it be moved to "Gnot Minimum Gauge".

Fourth Thought: A technical question for the Moderators - if this thread is to be moved, then will all the photos in this thread stay attached to their postings?

Fifth thought: Too Much thinking - I'm done typing about thinking...a photo or two to close - The mine manager's kids watching coal running on the Incline -
This was the start of the scenery.

Here is where we are currently:

So - Do I pot-hole this thread by filling in the blanks or let sleeping tigers slumber??
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:07 am

Hi John,

Thanks for the considerable update.

Maybe it's an oversight but I'm inclined to leave the thread where it is. After all, no one has climbed out of their pram about it over the years. The magic of software means that even if I did (moderator's hat on) decide to move it all the photos come along for the ride without me or anyone else having to think about it.

If you've got more, particularly pics, please share!

cheers,

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:51 am

I love this layout John, please do updates when you have time. I'm sure others will appreciate it, I know I will. :D
Ken

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi all,
It's been a long while since the last update - so here's the current state of play.
The final Stage 3 plan of 12 modules made the +1000 km each way trip to the Australian Narrow Gauge Convention held in Geelong earlier this year.
The following photos should give some idea of what the final layout will look like:
and from a different angle
Finishing at 7.2 metres long along the back wall in the second photo above and 5.4 metres long along the incline edge, according to the following module plan

The layout still needs to have its underpinnings hidden, and have the trestle module fully vegetated and blended to the adjacent modules, The buildings on the mine modules are placeholders, most of which will be replaced with more detailed buildings.

We seem to starting to see daylight at the end of the tunnel. It's been a long time to get there.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:55 pm

That is a lifetimes worth of work, John. Simply amazing! You are truly a world class engineer! Bravo!
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Wow, that's incredible. Congratulations.
Peter

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:25 am

HI all,
just to prove the Incline works as advertised, Jim Gifford caught the Incline in action during setting up for the ANGC on Good Friday.
At the time, the incline cables weren't run out and the tipple house was down on the standard-gauge tracks near the Screens building, instead of being up on the tipple deck, hiding the "tipper-outer"
https://youtu.be/QaqsiF96m40
There is a bit of a hole in the sound, but it should give you an idea of how it all works. At the time we were running empty skips.

These were the first skips to come "down the Hill". At the time we were testing with empty skips to see that nothing had "moved" during the road trip to Geelong.

You need 3 skips waiting at the bottom of the hill. When the 4th skip arrives, it nudges the leading skip forward and triggers the tip cycle.

We ran coal from the mine, down the incline, and tipped coal on the Saturday.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Kerluk
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kerluk » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:41 am

Wonderful and incredible layout. Many thanks for the pics.

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi all,
Some photos of each module as they currently stand, working our way back to the mine. These photos were taken at the Australian Narrow Gauge Convention, held last Easter in Geelong Victoria.

First up the Bottom-End module with the tipple, screens, and store buildings and a shed at the kickback.
The electronics lurk underneath that control the kickback points and tipple operations. This will be hidden behind the fascia. The panel to the right controls the speed and direction of the under-track chains.

The view from the end of the layout, from the kickback, looking towards the tipple building on the left and the screens building on the right. The small shed in the foreground, hides the servo linkage driving the points. It's only a 1 in 7 grade.

Next up Neddy and his wagon on the 3' gauge stone disposal track, heading back to the screens after dumping a load of stone at the off-layout stone dump
This was the only 3' gauge wagon on site. The line to the stone dump only ran a couple of hundred yards on the prototype

And the first standard-gauge wagon of large coal has been loaded at the screens and run clear

while more empty standard-gauge wagons await their turn to be loaded under the screens,

That ought to do for this post,
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:01 am

Hi all,
next up the Incline module.
and from end-on

This has the yard for empty standard-gauge wagons, with 3 empties waiting
and another 4 being shoved onto the module across the double slip by the Ixion Hudswell Clarke than stands in for the Yorkshire tank locomotives that did the job on the prototype, with the narrow-gauge incline climbing away in the background

Further up the "hill", the mine manager's kids are checking out a "wheely bad" skip that tried to run away on the incline

That ought to do for this module,
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:25 am

Still quite amazing, John, nd now the scenery is excellent. Luv the horse wagon and the kids watching the skip.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:32 pm

HI all,
Time for the next module - the Incline Top. The only building on this module is the brakehouse. The concrete finish was done with a wet paint/wafted bay powder approach that I picked up on another forum.
As seen from the bottom end of the layout
with loaded skips on the lower left-hand track and empty skips on the higher right-hand track

From side-on, where the haulage cable exits the Empties Incline track and heads towards the brakehouse

From the other side - looking towards the brakehouse with loaded skips waiting to go downhill on the lower track. The ramp uncoupler is in front of the first loaded skip.

An early photo at semi-finished vegetation stage - As seen from the other side of the brakehouse after the battery-electric loco has just delivered another lot of loaded skips
The battery-electric loco is just on the Incline Top module, The track in front of it is on the Dead-End module, up next
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:54 am

Hi all
now for the Dead-End module. This is basically a headshunt for loaded skips. The battery-electric loco brings loaded skips in from the Water Tank module up to dead-end, clears the points, and after the points are changed pushes back to the top of the the fulls incline.

On the prototype there was a culvert on this part of the line. Its construction and how big it was have never been recorded to our knowledge. It's still up there on the mountainside somewhere under the regrowth rainforest.

A closer look at the culvert

And some construction photos of the Corrimal Re-afforestation Company at work. First up a closer look at the creek beyond the culvert

and looking towards the brakehouse from the culvert
You used to be able to see the brakehouse - before the trees grew :shock:
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:04 am

Those are great trees, John. How did you make them
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:30 pm

Hi David,
Let me get my photos together for here and all should become clear in about a day or so.

And then they'll be a Doc's Diversion into things arboreal :wink:
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks John. I'll look forward to this diversion.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Return to “Modelling Matters”