Belle Lane - Compressor truck!

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:36 pm

Hey chaps.............

I've actually managed to get a bit of modelling time this weekend, so I've started to put together the next project for the Maintenance train!

This is entitled the Compressor truck, but as you can see from the early pic's it could be anything from a Compressor to a Flux-capacitor or even a donkey motor for a stalled Warp drive!!!?

Not to worry........ this is again one of those fun elements like the PTO truck, based in reality, aimed at functionality, but very much armed hopefully with originality!
Or simply put I'm just building it as a fun item that would to an untrained eye be perfectly believable? ............. my own kind of whimsy if you will?

Anyway - enough rabbit, I've posted these first pic's just stuck together with blu-tac, and left in the raw more for you to see all the disparate materials used. I've yet to fully work out the mechanics of the thing! - but this is the basis of the beast.............................

As ever!!.............. All input and thoughts very welcome............

More as it happens............... Andi.

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Good to see you back Andi, the next truck will need to be an air receiver. ('cause your compressor wont work with out it!) But that said looking good so far. (I will keep a lookout round here for suitable prototypes)
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:35 pm

A very interesting little wagon, Andi - what is the basis for the compressor?
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:52 pm

Gnice to see something new taking shape, looks good so far :D
Ian K
Be seeing you...

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:02 pm

Nice bit of bodging on the compressor Andi.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:36 pm

looks good Andi, you've been using those hollow punches again haven't you :wink:
Gordon F

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi Andi
I'm gnot sure how you are transferring the drive from the end of wagon to the compressor.

If you can rotate the compressor 90 degrees clockwise that will line up /make parallel the driveline from the end of the wagon with the axis of the compressor. If you can also move the compressor inboard so that it is between the axles, that would free up the other end of the wagon so that you could then model the air tank on that end of the wagon with a suitable cylinder (with like say the egg from a Kinder Surprise or similar). The end beside the tank could then have a stand or reel to carry your loops of air hose.

I hope I haven't complicated things too much for you with these suggestions
Last edited by Oztrainz on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:43 am

G,day Andi, do I detect a section of a GM supercharger there being used for a base? :)
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:21 pm

Many thanks Lads...............

I'm just a little moved to see I hadn't been forgotten! The situation at home has eased somewhat - Hopefully?
So all things being equal I should get a bit more bench time and make a bit more progress.

And thanks for all your input and comments, always welcome. Rather than provide a list of answers I shall just continue the build for a bit longer and hope most of the queries will gain a natural answer?
Bill however did ask as to the basis of the compressor - Not sure if you mean prototypically Bill? or literally the materials used?

Suffice to say the there is no prototypical renditions going on here - as Gordon suggested I just wanted to have a play and make a set of finned cylinders using the hollow punches. I'd already made the PTO truck so a compressor seemed to fit the bill!
The crankcase is in fact the clutch covers of a 1/9 scale Ducati I had left in the spares stash - the cylinder fins are respectively pop can ally' and the styrene bottoms of a microwave meal container [Don't dismiss these - there are some lovely compound curves to be had from them - hardest part is finding a reason to use them!!!]
There's the remains of a bic biro in there a couple of 1/24 auto parts [Yes that is the sacrificial remains of a Supercharger housing] A few Grant line nuts and stuff and "Bob's your Uncle" ........... TaaDaaah!

Hopefully the next update post will have the mechanicals and the layout a bit more sorted so it should be easier to read.

Thanks again.......... Andi.

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:48 pm

My how time has flown - sorry if my updates are still a bit far between but I'm trying best I can to keep up a bit of continuity.

Here then is the Compressor Truck with the mechanicals pretty much sorted out. The power pick-up is arranged so that the drive is turned through 90 degrees and transferred via belt to the compressor housing - I so want to say that the housing contains a hydraulic pump or generator. This would allow for the rather generous size of same.
Anyhow there will be a simple rack to the rear/front to take chocks and various bit's of rough kit.

Here's the pic's so far....................

As ever forgive the merciless enlargements - there are some pretty obvious places that are going to need a bit of tiffling - those fins are going to have to be straightened out for a start!

Obviously I've also committed myself to making a tank truck to carry the air once it's compressed - unless of course you lads have got advice to the contrary - input welcome as ever.............

ATB .......... Andi.

PS ........ I know the cylinders aren't parallel as you see them between the fins - but I thought seeing as I was going to "grunge" this up a bit it would be a bit a waste of effort. - even now you have to line yourself up with them pretty square to see them.

mud magnet
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 / 7mm narrow gauge

Postby mud magnet » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:04 pm

Looks impressive - good to see the progress. Look forward to seeing more. Can just imagine the odd oil leak and associated signs of use (and abuse).
Richard

John New
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: railways large and small.

Postby John New » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:41 pm

The only one I have a copyright free image of on-line is this larger bogie works wagon on the Seaton Tramway which is gauge 2ft 9". I think the vehicle covers two functions (1) a compressor for air line tools which is the left end part and (b) has a generator for the electric welding kit at the right hand end as we look at it. Offered as it might help.

There were some bogie vans that together comprised a mobile works train on the 2ft /60cm WW1 light railways but they are in "in print" books so I can't post a link.

Hope this helps Andi, your work as always is inspirational for those of us yet to achieve your skill levels.
John
http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk | http://www.yorkshow.org.uk | http://www.island-publishing.co.uk

Remembering it’s a hobby and I am allowed to smile!

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:21 pm

Looking good Andi :D

While we all enjoy your construction skills linked to your imagination, sure like the others I am keen to see the paint job on this and how it links with the PTO truck.

Don't keep us waiting too long :wink:
Gordon F

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:00 pm

Lurve the photos. Showing at around 5 1/2" long even on my laptop they must be at least 1/12th scale :D

cheers

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:15 pm

gfadvance wrote:
While we all enjoy your construction skills linked to your imagination, sure like the others I am keen to see the paint job on this and how it links with the PTO truck.

Don't keep us waiting too long :wink:

Crikey Gordon................ give us a break will ya'. I'm going as quick as my little arms will move - like bees wings they are!!

OK - Seriously - thanks for the input, and I'm pleased to see so many people curious about it. I'm trying to follow a similar format to that of the PTO truck, and shall set about the painting and finishes post haste.

Soon as I have something worthy to show - I will.

Luv'n'stuff...................... Andi.

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:50 pm

:cry: sorry Andi :cry:

Well not really,just a bit impatient :wink:
Gordon F

teetrix
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge in H0 and 0n30/0f

Postby teetrix » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:22 pm

I wonder if Andis compressor was donated by a former Harley Davidson owner... :wink:

Michael

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:40 pm

That's the only good use for a Harley engine.....
But it would produce a quite unreliable compressor....

As you can tell not a Harley fan

Greetings
Chris :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:49 am

Morning Andi,

saw this posted on another forum by Marc_Reusser

Thought it might look pretty good with your works train.

He also posted this one , which has definitely gone into my project bag

Let me know if you ever fancy building the crane ........ we might even have a little winter competition :wink:
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:07 pm

Hmmmn!.....

A build off, hey!

Actually, you know - I might just be up for a bit of that, sounds as though it could be fun. And as you point out, it would certainly fit in with my "maintenance train" notion.

OK - consider yourself slapped with a glove........name your terms and conditions??

Might I suggest a common starting point? - perhaps to be built on Steve's 4 wheel flat wagon

Or do you think a Formula 1 type where it's entirely open to interpretation?

'Owt for a larf......... Andi

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Oh shucks............ me and my big mouth :lol:

Conditions, rules ...... this is the Gnatterbox, wash your mouth out with soap and water :!:

Suggest we leave it open as possible, although do like your idea of basing it on Steve's wagon ......... not compulsory, apologises to Steve not trying to knock his sales, but there may be some people believe it or not who may not have one of these spare but want to join in.

Timetable............. how about closing date of end of February?

(bit theoretical in my case, as knowing me I will start fast, drift off and then panic about 2 days before or after :!: any closing date )

So what do you think, think I definitely need another project :roll:
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Right then................... It's on! [I'm doing the Matrix beckon thing in my mind - Miiister Aaandersson!!!].

Seeing as it was proposed and seconded today - tough I know. But I'm strongly suggesting that the deadline will be 3 months from now!!

So that's........... Febuary the 18th @ 16.00hrs.

Model to be based upon the Sidelines flat wagon [catalogue no - SL002] - or the dimension equivilant = 53x32mm platform.

The Model to-wit will be representative of a crane or lifting device, using the afforementioned dimensions as a base - these may not be altered but mechanical extensions are permissable.

Proposed by Gordon ........... seconded by Andi.

Open to all comers - First prize - Bragging rights!

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:02 pm

OK having slapped me with a "wet fish" ...... the game is on

Just to tidy things up and leave this thread clear for your finished compressor truck :wink: just to slow you down a bit, I'll start a new thread for this

EDIT
Ignore the above paragraph..... super star Andi way ahead of me :roll:
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:05 pm

With one thing and another.......... it's been a few day's since I've managed to get any real work on the Compressor truck done.

But, here it is! I'm going to call it done for the moment although I anticipate when I get it finally to a layout I'll "dress" it a bit more depending on how and why it's displayed/used!

No further ado then .................. pic's.......................

As can be seen, I've tried to just change the flavour a little - this so I don't get to much of a similarity between finishes as I want them to look as though they're a disparate selection of kit that comes together as needed rather than runs as a dedicated "train".

Perhaps "The more interesting side"? You might notice I've changed the layout of the rear of the truck - this because I couldn't get the wooden "wheel chocks" to sit happily - for scale purposes these are rendered at 6" square and barely 2'6" long - gives you an ideas of the scale doesn't it - all to easy to get carried away without any point of reference?

And this finally from the "Business"end of the coupling.

I was going to do lots of tensionable style couplings for the union, but have decided to concentrate on more pressing matters for the minute - namely the Snowflake!!!!

All the best chaps..............
KBO .......................... Andi.

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Flipadee flop Andy! That is an amazing piece of modelmaking. Full of charm, character and... well... just gosh darn good stuff! The paint and finish textures and tones.... wow!
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Return to “Modelling Matters”