Belle Lane - Compressor truck!

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:12 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: Wow, and, umm, Wow some more :shock: :shock: :shock:

That really is very impressive! Consider me gobsmacked :D :mrgreen: :D
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:59 pm

That's superb Andi, certainly raises the bar to the Ian Holmes "I quit" level. :wink:
It's a shame that the Power unit doesn't also drive the wheels then you'd have had an entry in the Loco Shed. :cry:
Mind you from what you've created this time I can't wait to see the first Loco.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:33 pm

Well Andi .... you didn't let us down :D

Superb job on the painting, well worth waiting for !

Just love the look, if I send "the crane" to you will you paint for me :wink:

Appreciate you now have a number of projects on the go :lol: but do look forward to seeing both a loco and the stage you set this up on.
Gordon F

JT Previa
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Industrial Narrow Gauge, slot cars

Postby JT Previa » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:42 pm

Really nice everything,(including photoshopping presentation I assume), especially the weathering.

JT
JT

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:44 pm

Thanks chaps............ I appreciate your comments - very much.

Gerry wrote -
It's a shame that the Power unit doesn't also drive the wheels then you'd have had an entry in the Loco Shed.
Mind you from what you've created this time I can't wait to see the first Loco.

Gerry............. 'erm! - actually it does have drive to the wheels!! - honestly. [Well not really obviously].
When I first mocked it up with the radiator I thought what a groovy looking nose it had - and that it looks to be a Loco'?
Thinking that I was pushing the envelope of credibility with you lads and perhaps even getting ahead of myself I never mentioned it - BUT!.............

If you look at the last pic' - just above the wooden "chock", you'll see a small foot pedal!! - See it?

This is actually the actuator/clutch pedal for a "Creeper" gear - it's based on a Stuart-Turner cone mesh gearbox and gives it a self propelling capability .............. I'm not making this up? - Honest. Look in the PTO thread, it's there too!
It literally was just something that I worked out in my head for Dioramic purposes down the line, I've never got round to putting in the forward/reverse lever or hand holds [ It works like a dead mans handle it has to remain depressed to gain momentum].
So, although more a self propelling mechanism - if it's towing the Compressor truck or any of the other kit I have planned............ Does that make it a Locomotive?? ---- Does it huh? - Huh huh! - Huh does it!!!?

Just kidding of course.

JT wrote
Really nice everything,(including photoshopping presentation I assume),

Hey JT - Thanks ............... although I'm not sure what you mean by phototshopped presentation?

It is I'll grant you cropped and optimised so it's seen as large as possible and with a reasonable byte size for those on slower dial-ups
Very occasionally I'll "sharpen" it just a touch if I've had to enlarge it a lot to get it to fill the 750pixel wide frame - but that's it truthfully.

The pic' is taken with a single fluorescent bulb a couple of mirrors to bounce as much light back as possible and a clean sheet of white paper.
My camera's fairly new though - and it appears to do a better job than me most of the time - when I can figure it out that is.

gfadvance wrote
Appreciate you now have a number of projects on the go but do look forward to seeing both a loco and the stage you set this up on.

You just never give up do you!!! - is this your latest ploy to put me off the "Snowflake" by piling the pressure on with the next project build - you're a bad bugger you are! - Smiling of course.
KBO .......................... Andi.

JT Previa
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby JT Previa » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:48 am

Andi,

Nice photo set up then! The snow white background and soft shadows made me think you dropped out the "real" background and added the shadows. I'd like to see a shot of your "studio" area to see how you do it. Very well done.
JT

underworld
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: narrow gauge everything...and standard gauge too!!!

Postby underworld » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Andi

WoW!!! Freaky crazy scary realistic looking stuff !!!
I think I've seen that motor at a scrap yard near me,
but yours looks more realistic !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

underworld
http://www.myspace.com/underworldimage
Currently on tour with Sleeper Cell

Sleeper Cell new album out soon!

Listen for me mornings 5:30-10 89Xradio.com
Shooting video for MTVs Making Of A Metal Band

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:37 am

Andi I partcularly like the chunky billet of weather rendered wood.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: modelling in card

Postby Geeky Gecko » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:00 pm

Personally, I think the model is great, Andi. Realism with a touch of humour? The standard is something I can only aspire to. I like it and look forward to seeing more.
Stefan

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:29 pm

Andi, I am another one who is mighty impressed with your skills & imaGneering. Over the last several decades I have worked on & seen many strange pieces of industrial machinery. (And still do!). One of the first things I worked on as a 'prentice (back ..19*7ish) ........was a compressor with a sleeve valve engine, driving a twin pot piston compressor coupled by a over-centre dog clutch, you had to get the engine to fire, (hand cranked) but before it picked up speed engage the clutch.................three man job! painted (IIRC) dirty green.
Gnuff of my rambling..........keep up the good works.
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Personally I'd say it's one of the best bits of model making I've seen in some time, and I certainly wouldn't describe it as cartoonish. I'm not actually a big fan of overly whimsical design, Emmett isn't my cup of tea, but I think you've got the balance about right here - loads of character but with a grimy realism too. (IMHO, as they say.)
Ian K

Be seeing you...

mud magnet
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 / 7mm narrow gauge

Postby mud magnet » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:39 pm

Wow! Awesome! I particularily like the wood blocks. A stunning piece of work, very impressive.
Richard

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:40 pm

Just keep doing what you are Andi, your build quality and finishing is something most of us can only aspire too. Studying your work is inspirational and encourages many of us, long may you continue to do so.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:47 am

Andi,

don't know if you have noticed this, but have a look at this http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t= ... highlight= , go into thread and half way down there's a picture of a vehicle "Lorenof" which has got to be the definition of whimsy and would look great with your builds !
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:03 pm

Arrgggghhhh!................ as if I haven't got enough on my plate - Grrr!

Obviously kidding Gordon - I have truthfully admired several of the "speeders" that I've seen dotted around the site, and it was at some point in my mind to have a go at something very similar.
My back story for Belle Lane has I must admit changed in its emphasis and although the latest incarnations are not so grand - they're so much more do-able. It might even have a chance of making it into some kind of actual construction. More as and when it happens - don't want to Hex anything by making some damp powder - half cock announcement do I?

Thanks for thinking of me - that is a definite possibility - or something very very similar.

Cheers..............

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:03 pm

JT Previa wrote:Really nice everything,(including photoshopping presentation I assume), especially the weathering.

JT

Hey JT............

I know I half responded to your query as to the presentation of the pic's, and you enquired as to how I went about taking them.

Well.........

I did remember your request when I was shooting my entry into the Snowflake challenge and took a pic' of the general set-up.
And more really just to show you how crude and "make do and mend" it is.

Here's the pic' then...... and I'll explain after..........

Frightening isn't it?????

A piece of white paper and a single fluorescent light source [the lamp shade you can see on the right isn't on as it casts a red colour despite being a fluorescent energy saving bulb, and it confuses the cameras light meter anyway - and looks terrible.
So, based on my distant memory of schoolboy physics I've used several old vanity mirrors placed strategically around the workpiece to bounce/increase the light. My little magnifier is tucked under the light source for the same reason.
Most bit's of this set-up are just lent or balanced against items that won't fall over - a bit of blue tack and "bobs-your-uncle"!
As can be seen there's no available daylight so this at least makes things reasonably constant, and the only scientific thing about all this this is that I do set the light balance on the camera. I finally treated myself this year to a new camera after years of struggling with something that wasn't really meant for this kind of job.

The Camera itself I set to Aperture priority, and the maximum I can get out of it under these circumstances is about F8 - it sets a duration of about 1/20 of a second at that - Not bad under the circumstances and shows what a difference all the mirrors make. Although it still works better for being on a timer and with the tripod - again something which I only spent about 12 quid on a few years ago.

Hope that helps to show you don't have to have a mega studio set-up to be able to post pic's that help to show off your work to it's best possible advantage.

JT Previa
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby JT Previa » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:51 pm

Andi,

That looks like an operating theatre crossed with an optics lab!

:shock: :D

I've used white boards to reflect some fill light, but the mirrors step it up a level. As you noted, a little patience and set up time results in great photos. Thanks for setting a high standard and explaining you technique.

(There are a few interesting white translucent collapsible "boxes" that some of the model supply companies are selling for about $50 to $100 USD that does a bit of what you do with your mirrors. Your technique is cooler - and less expensive - though!)

(By the way, love the lightening holes in the outriggers. In my opinion, the more holes you drill in something the better it looks!) :
JT

underworld
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: narrow gauge everything...and standard gauge too!!!

Postby underworld » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Little Andi. wrote:
JT Previa wrote:Really nice everything,(including photoshopping presentation I assume), especially the weathering.

JT

Hey JT............

I know I half responded to your query as to the presentation of the pic's, and you enquired as to how I went about taking them.

Well.........

I did remember your request when I was shooting my entry into the Snowflake challenge and took a pic' of the general set-up.
And more really just to show you how crude and "make do and mend" it is.

Here's the pic' then...... and I'll explain after..........

Frightening isn't it?????

A piece of white paper and a single fluorescent light source [the lamp shade you can see on the right isn't on as it casts a red colour despite being a fluorescent energy saving bulb, and it confuses the cameras light meter anyway - and looks terrible.
So, based on my distant memory of schoolboy physics I've used several old vanity mirrors placed strategically around the workpiece to bounce/increase the light. My little magnifier is tucked under the light source for the same reason.
Most bit's of this set-up are just lent or balanced against items that won't fall over - a bit of blue tack and "bobs-your-uncle"!
As can be seen there's no available daylight so this at least makes things reasonably constant, and the only scientific thing about all this this is that I do set the light balance on the camera. I finally treated myself this year to a new camera after years of struggling with something that wasn't really meant for this kind of job.

The Camera itself I set to Aperture priority, and the maximum I can get out of it under these circumstances is about F8 - it sets a duration of about 1/20 of a second at that - Not bad under the circumstances and shows what a difference all the mirrors make. Although it still works better for being on a timer and with the tripod - again something which I only spent about 12 quid on a few years ago.

Hope that helps to show you don't have to have a mega studio set-up to be able to post pic's that help to show off your work to it's best possible advantage.

Andi.
You're set up isn't really "make do and mend".....it's the same way we
do it in the business!. Quite standard are items like white paper or foamcore to bounce/reflect light, tape....the universal "clamp", all sort of small lights for highlight/detail....things of that sort. In the end the thing that is important is that you got the light, not how you got the light! :wink:

underworld
http://www.myspace.com/underworldimage

Currently on tour with Sleeper Cell

Sleeper Cell new album out soon!

Listen for me mornings 5:30-10 89Xradio.com

Shooting video for MTVs Making Of A Metal Band

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Mirrors... why didn't I think of that?
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

mud magnet
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 / 7mm narrow gauge

Postby mud magnet » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Reminds me of the technique used by Lane Stewart, who presented several articles in Narrow Guage and Shortline Gazzette up to a year or so ago. However, he used a series of 3 or 4 angle-poise lamps with different rated bulbs.
Your method is much simplier and cheaper.
Richard

Return to “Modelling Matters”