(F) Low budget flat

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Chrisp
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Industrial and Lumber RRs

(F) Low budget flat

Postby Chrisp » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Here's my first car for my planned industrial layout, a small flat made from a paper mache box lid (idea taken from a post in this forum - thanks!) painted with rattle can primer and weathered with poster paints . The wood work is from popcicle sticks stained with ink/alcohol mixture, the couplers are pop rivets:

The underbelly reveals my "no-tech" wheel mounting systems, On30 wheelsets held in place by nylon clips. The two fishing weights add great stability and help it track pretty well.

At 2.25 inches wide, it is arguably too wide for 16.5mm track, but I like how it came out anyway. Total cost was around $3, so even if it ends up sitting on a siding or shelf, it was worth it.
Have a gnice day.

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Low budget flat

Postby Bilco » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:34 pm

Hi Chris - a really neat flat, looks like there's a skip chassis under that at first glance. The wheel fixing is definitely fresh thinking - an infinitely variable wheelbase - all totally brill!
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

JT Previa
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Industrial Narrow Gauge, slot cars

Postby JT Previa » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:44 am

Now where have I seen that before?....Oh, I remember!

Nice work!

I especially like the pop rivets and cable clip axle holders, great ideas. Do you know what size the cable clips are?

Flipping the lid works great as well.
JT

Chrisp
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Industrial and Lumber RRs

Postby Chrisp » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:49 pm

JT - that photo of yours was an "ah-ha" moment for me and the direct inspiration for my car.

The clips are 1/8" nylon clips I found in the fasteners section of an Ace hardware store.
Have a gnice day.

JT Previa
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Industrial Narrow Gauge, slot cars

Postby JT Previa » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:31 am

Chris - thanks for the info about which clips you used. I'm glad the papier mache boxes have found another user. (We should say where the box came from - I found mine at Michael's Craft store.) This site is great for sharing ideas - someone else usually puts in the elbow grease to try them out!

Did you get the deeper bottom section of the box? Any plans to make something?? :D
JT

Return to “Modelling Matters”