Out of Africa! (Or Letters from Uncle Dick)

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Thu May 13, 2010 10:27 am

6491 wrote:I think you will find that smooth plates are pretty well standard on excavators, cranes and draglines. Bulldozers are a different story.

Yes I Gnow that but I sure wouldn't want to drive one on a slippery slope. When I was on my Scorpion light tank drivers course we stopped for a brew of tea. We stopped in the middle of an open clay area so we could fire up the chuffer. As we were standing beside the vehicles waiting for the water to boil we suddenly realised one was slowly sliding away with the tracks completely locked. The vehicle in question had a set of tracks that were worn almost smooth and were due to be replaced a few days later. The clay pan was damp and had a very slight slope - gravity took over :shock:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Thu May 13, 2010 9:46 pm

G,day....I was travelling a Cat. D6 across a side slope of about 30deg. one day. Came upon some trees that had been felled down the slope, well without thinking I started to cross the still green trees. What a ride sideways down that slope :shock:. I was definitely in need of a change of jocks :oops:
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sun May 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Well, made it "home" ok, so between the showers managed to get some paint on the machine :D

and out in the garden (aka jungle :) )

Now with the rest of the "fleet". :roll:

Image (L-R)Bedford '0' tipper, K-S Wren, Bow Frame Simplex (Kent constuction 'copy'), Deutz 4wDM, 0-4-0 OHE on steam loco frames, 4w OHE, plus a couple of skips.
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:21 am

Now I am absolutely envious,

You have done a superb job,details character everything just fantastic.If I did not have 3 locos in the works I might be tempted to start one like yours.
A KRUPP DOLBERG has been floating in my mind for quite a while.
Thank you for sharing it with us.

Greetings

Chris :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Mon May 17, 2010 4:47 am

Great Job Trevor! :D The crane looks super. I like the engine detail. You have a really smashing collection of models there 8)
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon May 17, 2010 4:59 am

What he said ^^ 8)
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon May 17, 2010 5:39 am

A great line-up Trevor, what's Gnext I wonder when you return to the African Continent :?:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:01 pm

“Uncle Dicks” Letters keep coming ( slowly) though in deference to the “Political Correctness Police” I have had to edit (Censor) them far more severely than in the past. I must also apologise to the nitpickers that I am working in 1:24 scale on 18.2 gauge track representing 18inch & 500mm prototypes. Where really I should be using 19.2 mm & 20.833mm gauges. Or I suppose I could scour the globe for 436.8 mm/ 17.1968 inch gauge prototype? Any way enough of this ****. [tongue very firmly in cheek :lol: ]
On to the latest missive;. ……………..one of the original JV partners in this project where ***** [from a North European Country] They had imported some compressed air equipment from the ***** [ a Scandinavian Country] One of the locomotives was never very successful being only a single axle drive. By a dint of ***lish ingenuity re-bar , air motors from a rock drill & some chain we converted it to a chain drive four coupled loco. Bit of snag now, the compressors gone and broke!..................

Back in August 2008 Henrik Laurel posted the drawing & some links to the prototype for this loco. (I must stop building locos!) see:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t= ... =atlas+air
(Gerry you did ask!)
Well I have made a bit of a start. The bulk of the loco is built from Evergreen styrene, the hard part was finding some thing to make the domed ends from. Eventually I found that the cap off a can of aerosol deodorant was about the right profile. Now you can guess what, its taken nearly 18 months to find a second can with the same shape cap! Having now found both it’s a mater of sanding the moulded makers marks off the cap and lining the inside of the “boiler” (air receiver) so that the ends are a tight push fit. (Seems to be made from some type of plastic that resists all sorts of adhesive I have had to put some stops inside the barrel to stop the ends being pushed to far in.

Last edited by Trevor Coburn on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:14 pm

Nice Job Trevor, I remember that loco the Henrik posted, it is one of the locos on my list of to do's. You are doing a sharp job of following the prototype. The whole glueing foreign plastic components is a real pain sometimes. I have found that roughing up the surface really well and using 5 minute epoxy seems to be as good as anything.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:24 pm

Looks good Trevor, I have a soft spot for air locos :)

Its certainly got to concentrate the drivers mind sitting alongside that size of Air Cylinder :wink:

On a more serious note, I am going to check out your maths re gauge /scale combinations, I should warn you if I do find errors I will report you :lol:
Gordon F

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:48 pm

With my very limited range of paint I decided to put some colour on before I start to add the control details. (Lots pipe, valves & other bits-n-bobs.)

Trevor

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:06 pm

That's looking great Trevor.

I can't think why I have not been more impressed/interested by compressed air locos before now. I certainly hugely enjoyed this loco

in 16mm scale at Telford the other day. (note link for pic is an unshamed snatch from Bobblackcloud's pics in this thread http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t= ... ht=telford

- he took far more and better pics than I did :twisted: )

Apart from the difficulty, as you have found, of getting the right shape for the ends, they have a delightful simplicity to them.

As a further aside the chap who built the Telford model said the real thing only had the ability to do around 250 yds per compressed air load, but that this was fine for a bit of shunting, apart from which it could be 'refueled' in next to no time.

cheers

rockershovel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge industrial railways

Postby rockershovel » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:43 pm

I did like that'adit' model.. can anyone tell me anything about the rocker shovel model in one of the pics?
rambling miner

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:40 pm

OH NO, not another 'Kettle' :lol:
Many moons ago I came across a drawing by Jim Fainges of a three (3) ton Decauville 0-4-0T. At just under 9 foot long, and 4 foot wide it doesnt seem impossibly large for an 18" gauge loco. An in 1:24 scale just over 4 inches (110mm) long. There where lot of French influence in West Africa,
So whose to say an 18" gauge one didnt find it was to where my layout is supposed to be based? I have made a start. Here it is as a "kit" of parts. I have to make it this way (in the vien of flat pack furniture.) so it can be carried home in my Laptop bag. (I travel light...............) The parts plug together using a simple plug-n-socket arrangement. The real challenge for this will be finding some thing to make the smoke box door from.

Then put together (with the aid of some scotch tape :shock: )

Boiler, cab etc to come.
No running gear, that will have to wait until I am back in the UK .
Trevor

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Looks good 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, photography, outdoor life.

Postby henrix72se » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:06 pm

Ooohh, so very nice pictures! Candy for my eyes !!

Someone who actually made something out of those atlas photos I took, great Trevor !!

Wish I could follow your example soon, but a lot on my wishlist before I reach that.

Next project the little Decauville loco, looks great to!

/Henrik
I build Industrial and Military Light Railways in 1/35n18 scale - http://Laurell.Today/

rockershovel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge industrial railways

Postby rockershovel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:47 am

good luck with that, I tend to feel that 'interesting' or unusual items in hand baggage should be avoided in West Africa unless you have a suitable supply of small-denomination Euro banknotes available to hand... I have had some quite trying experiences transporting the sort of small electronic items surveyors tend to be involved with, at the behest of happy souls at Head Office who think Brazzaville or Pointe Noire is like Schiphol, except without Murphy's bar and the body scanners!

nice model, though. I've lately been in Russia and there is a small, pocket-size mossie repellent sold there which would be just the size for a smokebox door...what about those small snuff tins Scandinavians often have?
rambling miner

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:39 am

As there were 50cm gauge versions (one now on the CF Tarn in France), as well as 60cm gauge, then it seems possible that 18inch could have been built.

http://www.cftt.org/images/photo0022.htm

Needs a bit of work . . .

Chris

trefor
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I am interested in railways generally. I have started making a layout, sort of 15" or possibly 18" gaugeish

Postby trefor » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Trevor

Your ref to Jim Fainges made me look him up on Google. I assume that you got the drawing from http://www.zelmeroz.com/albumquery/FaingesJ.htm.

What a collection of drawings. All I can say is WOW :!: :D
Trefor

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Trevor Coburn » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:57 pm

Well there was a bit more modelling time over the last few days (and the will to get on! :shock: )

The wheels, axles & axleboxes are only tempory.

Trevor

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Looking great Trevor.

Matthi205
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: H0(on the floor),Gn15

Postby Matthi205 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Looks pretty good for being only "temporary" :D :shock: :D
Electric Devices have 3 statuses:On,Off and broke.Image

trefor
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I am interested in railways generally. I have started making a layout, sort of 15" or possibly 18" gaugeish

Postby trefor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:20 pm

That's looking great. One question how did you do the rivets?
Trefor

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:40 am

Well a couple more more pics.

The rivets are made by embossing the plastic from the back.

The chimney (rolled from 0.015" sheet) is not fixed which makes it look a little lop sided.....
Still lots to do though... :?
Trevor

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:30 am

Well Trevor if that's what you can achieve "Out of Africa" can't wait to see what transpires when it's "Out of Somerset". :wink: :arrow: 8) :arrow: :mrgreen:

Return to “Modelling Matters”