Barton Ings Tile Works

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:06 pm

The loco and skip looks the perfect combination to me too. The digger sits great on the lower level. Like the rest of the stock, just add muck! 8)

The layout is coming together well. Enjoying your journey :D
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15

Postby Charlie Stewart » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:13 pm

Glen A wrote:I really like the height of that chimney, its going to look great with the bricks on it.

Glen, its MAMMOTH task carving all those bricks individually, but hope its looking ok so far, the chimney is almost done, random bricks have been shaded etc.. just waiting on the "mortar" to be applied....

the Slaters' skips are comming along nicely too...

and now the cruel close-ups....

Still LOADS of bricks to carve on the kiln building.....

an overall from the "muddy" end...

same again from the other side...

and for a break from the monotomy (sp?? :shock: ) of brick-carving, i have been buliding fences....

Enjoy,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

light travels faster than sound... thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!!!

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi Charlie

Just wanted to chip in and say how great this layout looks! I love the dinky locos and the domineering structure in the centre of the board, looks great.
I'm working on an O9 brick and tile works, and those videos are inspiring. Good to see someone else using DCC - seems against a lot of the low cost 'ethics' of the Gn15 community, but it's a handy tool I'm sure! I'm looking at it myself for speed synchronised audio, but that's another story.

Apologies if I've missed it, but is that crane/digger going to be animated? Even if it wasn't physically moving mud from place to place it'd still be a lovely detail.
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:35 pm

Moronguhl wrote:Apologies if I've missed it, but is that crane/digger going to be animated? Even if it wasn't physically moving mud from place to place it'd still be a lovely detail.

Maybe in the long-term future Christian, but for now i'm concentrating on getting the layout presentable/believable. Must admit now you have mentioned it, DCC makes it so tempting to animate the excavator...even if its just a flashing led for now :D :D :D

Cheers,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

light travels faster than sound... thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!!!

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

R. R. Nony & Sons Pipe and Tile Works

Postby Bilco » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi Charlie - the layout is really looking good with the brickwork of the chimney and building, and the ground cover. A very impressive tree, too!
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

altterrain
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: garden railroading in 1:24/1:29 and 7/8n2

Postby altterrain » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Very cool. It's really coming along.
That's a lot of bricks! :shock:

-Brian

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Re: R. R. Nony & Sons Pipe and Tile Works

Postby Charlie Stewart » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:22 pm

Bilco wrote: A very impressive tree, too!

Thanks Bill, i made the tree for the "Sunshine Orange Co." it seemed HUGE on there but sometimes i feel it looks too small on this layout... it serves its purpose atm though....

Charlie
My YouTube videos

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:47 pm

Driff_Charlie wrote:Glen, its MAMMOTH task carving all those bricks individually,

Yeah, but just think of the mammoth awesome way they are going to look when finished :D 8)
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Chrisp
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Industrial and Lumber RRs

Postby Chrisp » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Charlie - great looking layout, really well done on the tracks through the muck. Wasn't clear from the thread - did you handpaint or spray your track rusty brown?
Have a gnice day.

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:14 pm

Chrisp wrote:Charlie - great looking layout, really well done on the tracks through the muck. Wasn't clear from the thread - did you handpaint or spray your track rusty brown?

UNFORTUNATELY :evil: :evil: I'm in the slow process of handpainting the rail edges, with hindsight i should have done the "2/3 rattle-can" process that i did on my last layout, it was much less tedious....

Charlie
My YouTube videos

altterrain
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: garden railroading in 1:24/1:29 and 7/8n2

Postby altterrain » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:24 pm

Chrisp wrote:Charlie - great looking layout, really well done on the tracks through the muck. Wasn't clear from the thread - did you handpaint or spray your track rusty brown?

Floquil paint markers come in handy for this task -

-Brian

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:52 pm

Thanks for the tip Brian, i will have a look for these paint-markers' :D :D

Figures... well the figures from my other "sunny" layout didnt seem to be quite "industrial" enough for this, a trip to Lincoln Garden Railway show this weekend highlighted that there isnt really a loy of figures around at the moment. I decided to give these a try from "Modeltown" they could do with a bit more detail to be honest , like fingers/ features etc.. but on the plus side they have some " belly" and fullness to them, much more like "real-life" hahahahahaha....., and as they only cost £3 each they are pretty good value too...

... here they are in situ..

These 2 are having a "natter" about what??, only they know...

this ones cleaning up after the mini-digger..( sorry flash has washed it out somewhat)

and my "underground ernie" based loco has a new driver...

think i painted his overalls a bit too bright :shock: :shock: ..

so all in all i reckon i will go with these on this layout at least and Modeltown have a large selection of figures to go at.

Enjoy,

Charlie

PS thanks to Mr Bennett for the "in-person" demo on making paper flowers & weeds..its worked !! piccies to follow!!
My YouTube videos

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi Charlie,

I reckon the figures aren't too bad.
Sure they may not be totally realistic, but at least they are all uniform in appearance, and your eye accepts that.

I find when you try to mix different brands, and some are more realistic than others, that it just makes the not-so-good ones look more obvious.

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:46 am

Some of the best and most easily available figures in British shops are those made by Schleich. They are best used in 1:22.5 environments.

http://www.schleich-s.com/en/action_fig ... index.html

Most toy shops stock them. Whilst they are made of a soft plastic and thus not easily re positioned. they can be modified by re-sculpting the clothes or altering the body posture in hot water. I used an abrasive disc to remove the 'chaps' from the legs of the blacksmith and change the tongs for an oily rag. Many of the others are usable in an industrial setting as is.

Chris

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:12 am

Driff_Charlie wrote:PS thanks to Mr Bennett for the "in-person" demo on making paper flowers & weeds..its worked !! piccies to follow!!

Will send you the invoice for the lesson later :lol:
Glad to hear you gave it a try and look forward to seeing the results.

Must admit, I'm a little surprised by the Modeltown figures. They dont look very good on their stand, but now in a layout setting, they are much better. Of course in a garden where they are really intended for, they are not seen as close as on an indoor layout. As Glen says, if you stick with the same type of figures through the layout, the eye accepts them.

Probably be worth adding them to the Sources of Figures thread.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:
Driff_Charlie wrote:PS thanks to Mr Bennett for the "in-person" demo on making paper flowers & weeds..its worked !! piccies to follow!!

Will send you the invoice for the lesson later :lol:
Glad to hear you gave it a try and look forward to seeing the results.

well here you go for my first attempts at "flora" ??? :shock: :shock: But first a VERY IMPORTANT bit of advice... DO NOT hoover your layout whilst you have "loose" flowers and weeds on the layout that have taken you HOURS to make :evil: :evil: ..learnt that the hard way!!! :evil:

anyways, piccies.....cos we all love piccies..dont we????? hehehehehehe....

This is supposed to be a dandelion???....(could pssibly do with being a bit smaller still???)...

I made these just as experiments to use the the punches i have bought, i believe there might be something in real life that they look like???..
Image.

next a "bullrush" made from wire with some of the insulation left on , then for the leaves I used "Scott B's" method of slicing up plastic drinking straws..i like these and think i will "play" with this method for some weeds too. at the right is a weed i see regularily but dont have a clue what its called??..made form a tiny twig and some scatter with yellow paint dabbed on...

Then some more progress on the layout itself....

KeithB wrote:I have a video of the Far Ings line in operation. The line actually travels THROUGH the loco shed on its way from the pit to the tilery

I decided to buy this video too.. a BAD MOVE !!!!... I found I just HAD to model the loco shed so a little alteration was called for and here we are so far...more bricks to carve now....as you can also see my "Simplex" kit arrived too ( Thanks Scott :D :D )

the chimney has now had the bricks "pointed" with mortar...

and I have started filling the clay-pit with "water" too....

Enjoy,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Wow Charlie, this is starting to look seriously fantastic!

Those plants are brilliant, a great example of what is achievable in G scale! Nice addition of a siding too, it's easy to start dropping them everywhere and clutter up the board but you're showing great restraint. That water is looking lovely as well, fooled my eyes the first time I saw it.

Regarding your DCC btw, are you using any DCC sound? I'm getting a Sountraxx Galloping Goose unit for my Ruston LBT, which should be suitable for most small petrol/diesel locos, might be worth considering? Of course any battery electric locos are more or less quiet so you can get away without putting any sound in those! :D
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Layout looking great with the additions you've made Charlie. 8)
As for the plants I particularly like the Bullrush. The yellow flower you see is most likely Ragwort.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:48 pm

Looking good Charlie, you must have been listening :lol: and best of all, remembered when you got home :lol:
Glad to see you tried cutting by hand with your dandelion, not so hard is it :wink:

As for the second pic, they look very much like Primroses to me, will have to try that.

I have a lot more now after another day of demonstrating on saturday :roll:

Guess I will have to build another layout soon to put them all on :roll:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Driff_Charlie wrote:... a VERY IMPORTANT bit of advice... DO NOT hoover your layout whilst you have "loose" flowers and weeds on the layout that have taken you HOURS to make :evil: :evil: ..learnt that the hard way!!! :evil:

Ohhh nooooooo! :cry:
Probably oughtn't Hoover the water while it's wet either. :wink:
This is shaping up nicely.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Driff_Charlie wrote:... a VERY IMPORTANT bit of advice... DO NOT hoover your layout whilst you have "loose" flowers and weeds on the layout that have taken you HOURS to make :evil: :evil: ..learnt that the hard way!!! :evil:

or take outside when it is windy? 8)

A tip I was told years ago (turns up from time to time in the modelling press) is to cover the nozzle of the vacuum with a piece of fine gauze, stockings/tights/pantyhose sort of thing will do well. Any loose bits that get sucked up from the scenery don't end up inside the vacuum cleaner :wink:
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:25 am

Weekly update... a trip to Narrow Gauge North this weekend provided more inspiration and most of all more scenic bits!!! ( nice to see you AGAIN Mr Bennett :D hahahaha...)

...anyways heres the bullrush " production line" in progress....

and heres some of last weeks "output" in situ....

weeds/dandelions are springing up everywhere now!!!...

the engine shed is progressing (more bricks to carve.. :shock: :shock: )& with some of Steve's accesories it is starting to get an interior too....

and quite a nice point in the build now as i can get some albeit little "scenic-shots/cameos" starting to develop....

and this morning being a Monday its particularily busy at the works....

Enjoy,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:05 am

Driff_Charlie wrote:Weekly update... a trip to Narrow Gauge North this weekend provided more inspiration and most of all more scenic bits!!! ( nice to see you AGAIN Mr Bennett :D hahahaha...)

...anyways heres the bullrush " production line" in progress....

:lol: Good to see you again Charlie.

Have to say, I was very impressed with the bullrushes you brought along to the show. Not tried them yet, but I will :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:10 pm

Eventually I have made the roof for the kiln/building, and done a pretty "beleivably-rough" job of pointing the ridge tiles ( just as the prototype!!) :D .. also a "wriggly-tin" fence to seperate the "roundy-roundy" a little more...

a not often seen view from the "rear"?? of the layout (must get round to doing the rest of the bricks!!!)...

closer view of the fence...

and the other side...

last week was pretty warm & sunny here, as a result the "weeds" have sprung up/multiplied everywhere..!!!
the bullrushes have increased...

weeds are growing all over the yard...

they're now following all the cracks in the concrete too....

the weeds are now established all around the engine shed as well....
Dandelions & now even Lupins..!!

ivy is growing up the new fence already....

then an overhead of the yard and new roof...

and another (YUK.. to the insides of the chimney.. :shock: :shock: :shock: )... also shows how tight the siding is, but all stock will push and pull round it no probs..thankfully :D :D :D ...

Enjoy,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

R. R. Nony & Sons Pipe and Tile Works

Postby Bilco » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi Charlie - the Works is coming on a treat! Lots of nice detail and little scenes full of interest. I had my doubts about that siding, but if the stock goes round it ..... :roll:
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Return to “Modelling Matters”