Barton Ings Tile Works

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:38 pm

G'day Charlie
Had a good day exhibiting on Saturday at Lincoln, but for the first time I was in quite a dark spot. This did highlight the need for some "layout lighting" I addressed this today with some lengths of timber, a piece of uPVC guttering and a cheap under cupboard strip light.

Very early on in my exhibition career (the 1980's) I and the group that I was working with, discovered that lighting was almost a necessity at most halls and helped 'finish' a layout.

Now you have the lighting just make sure that the next layout is the same size so you can use it again.

By the way the layout is looking great and I really liked the little movie.
You do realise that with a few more movies you could leave the layout at home and just take a projector and screen to an exhibition ?

Thanks for sharing
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:29 am

Looks stunning Charlie, good work!
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15

Postby Charlie Stewart » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:57 pm

After the success with the lighting rig I thought I would experiment with the next stage and paint a background, just a quick hash-up in various blue/greys atm....... the jury is still out on it but to be fair I should make a more detailed backdrop before I cast judgement, these pics compared with the earlier ones in this thread show the difference.....

I think a backdrop is probably the way to go, especially for exhibitions???

Enjoy,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

light travels faster than sound... thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!!!

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:56 pm

Backdrop makes a big difference, sort of focus the viewer on the layout not what is for sale on the booth behind you. The pictures they take (and they will) will be better as well again showing your layout and not your belt buckle. They only thing you have to be careful with is distance of the trees to the backdrop, maybe a spacer between the layout and the backdrop an inch or 2 might be enough or adjusting the light so it skims down the backdrop putting the shadows forward
I really like your layout, lots going on in little scenes, the subject is one of my favourites as well. Like the locos as well, can`t quite put my finger on why :roll: :wink:
Scott B

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:25 pm

scott b wrote: They only thing you have to be careful with is distance of the trees to the backdrop, maybe a spacer between the layout and the backdrop an inch or 2 might be enough or adjusting the light so it skims down the backdrop putting the shadows forward

I think the spacer option is better.
In my opinion you do not want to push the shadows forward.
I have seen too many layouts like this; and when you take a photo from the front, the backscene is bright but the models are all in shadow and you can't see any details in them. The photos make the layout look like crap.

I go to the other extreme, and put my lights forward of the front, to make sure all details are well lit.

I would leave the light were it is, and to fix your tree shadow problem, I would try putting something under the tree, maybe a fence with half the pailings missing, to distract your eye away from seeing the shadow pattern.

Otherwise it looks great!

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:35 am

G'day Charlie

Would like to agree with both Scott and Glen that the backdrop improves the look of your layout a lot. It helps contain the eye to the scene without any distractions 'off stage'.
Also agree with Glen that the lighting should be at the front of a layout (in most cases) to illuminate the models to their best advantage.
Shadows can be partially hidden by painting something dark ( tree, building ) on the offending part of the backdrop.

The only disadvantage that I can see to fitting a backdrop is that your assistant (22 sept 2010) will be unable to see over it for a number of years.
Adrian Hoad

I might be daft but not stupid.

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railway,

Postby richard andrews » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:46 pm

It was nice to put a face to a name Charlie, :D :D
I enjoyed talking to you on sunday, loved the layout. :) :)
kind regards
richard

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:23 am

Was nice to meet you too Richard, and Stephan, and Ken, and of course Mr Bennett too.!! (sorry if I forgot anyone?)I now have a couple more exhibition invites, but thankfully not till 2012 !!!,

I'm back out on the exhibition circuit yet again this weekend, this time I'm at Leamington Spa for the MIDLANDS GARDEN RAIL SHOW ... this Saturday and Sunday 19th & 20th ...

link is here..... MIDLANDS GARDEN RAIL SHOW

as always if anyone comes along, come and say hi !!!

Charlie
My YouTube videos

light travels faster than sound... thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!!!

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:01 pm

As the BIG show at York ( 3 Days !!!!) approaches this weekend, I have built a couple more items,

Firstly thanks to Chrisp of this parish I present my rendition of "winky"....

Still needs a bit more work...and of course a Driver!!!, its the first real attempt at weathering with an airbrush .... still a bit to learn.

Secondly heres one of Mr Bennett's wagons which has obviously seen better days....

And a VERY neglected roof, another 1st this was done with tissue and superglue!!!!

anyone comming along to YORK SHOW this easter weekend, be sure to pop by and say hello..... you may get "comandeered" into releif cover as im on my own most of the days...

Enjoy,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

Chrisp
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Industrial and Lumber RRs

Postby Chrisp » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:48 pm

Charlie - great job on the Brookie. I built a 7/8" scale version so lost my impetus for doing the kit, glad you were able to do something with it. I also like the well-worn van - that roof is great.

Have a gnice day.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Some very nice modelling there Charlie - love the pics too :D

Bestest for York.

cheers

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Charlie- just love the Box Car.I think mine needs something like this as an explosives car." Totally in compliance with all the safety regs.........

Greetings

Chris :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :shock:
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Moronguhl » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:57 pm

That wagon and loco are gorgeous, love the weathering job on the wagon especially. Can't wait to see this layout in the flesh at some point.
Christian Summers

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Barton Ings..... The Future..???

Postby Charlie Stewart » Mon May 09, 2011 2:14 pm

well after almost a year an TEN exhibitions, I now have a few months break from shows. I have decided on a couple of changes both to increase interest to the public and my own operator interest.
The main criteria are... I MUST have the (hopefully working) skip incline to a pugmill, it is still probably the most distinguishing feature on the real site!!!. also to complete the picture I want to represent at least one drying shed too.

So this weekend out with the plywood/timber/screws/glue etc... and with one more leg made and another baseboard the layout is now 2' longer....

then bolted together I cut the track to insert a set of small radius points......

the track at the bottom of this picture then leads to...

... a two road traverser ( this should ease operating a lot based on experience of removing/replacing stock when surrounded by onlookers!!!)

exiting the shed are two short storage tracks ( or possibly another future extension????)

This is all then hidden (hopefully??) in a model of one of the actual drying sheds....

Then for the incline, fistly a set of points will have to be cut into the original trackwork... here...

These will then feed the incline track which will pass over the original loop through an arch...( the pugmill is represented by the cardboard boxes for now!!!)

another view...

hopefully this will give a more accurate representation of the real site and also provide more operating variety and storage ability on the layout....

This does seem to give a more busy/cluttered look to the whole site

Enjoy,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Moronguhl » Mon May 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Exciting developments Charlie! I'm currently working on plans for wagon tippers, it's infectious! Soon you'll have gates swinging in the breeze, seagulls circling overhead... :D
Christian Summers

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Barton Ings

Postby Bilco » Mon May 09, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi Charlie - it takes some bottle to start cutting into a successful layout like Barton Ings, but the plans you've outlined sound exciting. I'm looking forward to following your progress. :D
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

steerngo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: most itams ng

Postby steerngo » Mon May 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Looking good Charlie, look forward to seeing the updated layout on the road. and the how its done tutorial on here :)

ken

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Mon May 09, 2011 7:10 pm

An interesting new development!
I like the traverser. Nice and simple. And its a good idea how you have left working space at the back to put tools and things.

What is planned for the large area at the front?

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Mon May 09, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks for the comments Guy's,

Christian, yes I think on a small layout a few "animations" are welcome, but I think i'll stop short of 'gates swinging in the wind' ...hahahahaha

Bill, Yes it did take a bit of courage to almost destroy that end of the layout, but I "hope" it will be worth it...infact I'm sure it will be :D

Ken, as usual you will all have to 'suffer' the deluge of pictures on here.....

And Glen, Yes after a few shows I realized the need for "storage" and "workshop space" whilst exhibiting... also a place to rest the all important cuppa. !!!

as for the space at the front??? well now the original tileworks has re-opened and producing tiles again (WOW :shock: :shock: ) there are lots of finished tiles stacked on pallets waiting for transport, so I think I'll model a little goods yard with maybe one of those Gorgeous bedford trucks ( YUMMY 8) signed up as a works truck , perhaps with a little office & some stacks of finished tiles on palletts .....

... what do you think??..does that sound plausible????

Thanks for the assistance everyone, as usual on here everyones input is usefull.

Charlie
My YouTube videos

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Barton Ings

Postby Bilco » Mon May 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Sounds good, Charlie - but you'll need a fork lift to load the pallets - more animation??? :shock:
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Mon May 09, 2011 10:26 pm

I have the Bedford - all dressed up in its punk colours for my layout. The only beef I have with the kit is that you glue the wheels on. I must still be a big kid because I like to push my toys around the table to get the right location for photos. (My excuse anyway.) The idea of an office with a yard full of pallets of tiles sounds good. Perhaps a glimmer of standard gauge track somewhere to indicate the outside world?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Corusman
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge in lots of sizes

Postby Corusman » Tue May 10, 2011 9:17 am

Can`t believe how quickly you are getting on with the changes, its going to be a real stunner when its finished.
I bought an airbrush at York and I am weathering locos as well. Never quite as easy as you think.

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways/Modelling

Kiln Building Roof

Postby Mike Lee » Tue May 10, 2011 10:52 am

Charlie

Can you tell me please who makes the pantile roofing material for the kiln building and where to obtain it?

Thanks Mike Lee

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Re: Kiln Building Roof

Postby Charlie Stewart » Thu May 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Mike Lee wrote:Charlie

Can you tell me please who makes the pantile roofing material for the kiln building and where to obtain it?

Thanks Mike Lee

Hiya Mike I get those sheets from Steve at Back2bay6

Charlie
My YouTube videos

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Thu May 12, 2011 11:12 pm

Well a little more progress with the pugmill & incline, I'm quite pleased with the way this is looking :D :D

Enjoy,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

Return to “Modelling Matters”