Barton Ings Tile Works

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Wed May 26, 2010 5:17 pm

Wow Charlie, I like the video, the layout looks real!
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Thu May 27, 2010 1:14 am

G'day Charlie

Liked the video.....well what I saw of it as the screen just kept telling me I had just won an office or sumfing :!:

By the time I had got rid of that window the video was halfway through playing.....and the replay button seemed not to work....but I did enjoy the last half

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

JackBlack
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Model Trains, Drawing, Reading Mags

Postby JackBlack » Thu May 27, 2010 9:28 am

That was a nice view of your layout there Charlie. What do I type in to find one of them cameras on ebay?
Jack

14 & can't decide on a trackplan.

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15

Postby Charlie Stewart » Thu May 27, 2010 10:10 am

JackBlack wrote:That was a nice view of your layout there Charlie. What do I type in to find one of them cameras on ebay?

Jack none on presently but heres a recent listing for one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHE-EZ-Splash-Dig ... 1e5bd99663

Cheers,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

light travels faster than sound... thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!!!

JackBlack
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Model Trains, Drawing, Reading Mags

Postby JackBlack » Fri May 28, 2010 9:35 am

Thanks Charlie.
Jack

14 & can't decide on a trackplan.

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: paradise mining co type modelling

Postby Rowley » Fri May 28, 2010 8:41 pm

Just got round to reading about your layout and seeing the video.
What can I say that hasn't already been said . Great layout and very atmospheric video You feel as if you are on a proper full size railway. GREAT
All the best Rowley
Rowland Sutton

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:39 am

Ok so I now have my FIRST exhibition booking.....ever!!!....in just 5 WEEKS my layout will be in the public eye..... and the PANIC is now setting in.... I hope to meet many fellow modellers at Telford on the 18th July and I've just heard from Christopher that I will be in the MoMinG section :grin: :grin:

Now I am trying to concetrate on little cameo scenes to keep peoples interest in what is basically "an oval with a siding"... I feel to have got a handle on the vegetation but as a fellow modeller who knows the actual area pointed out there was a distinct and noticable lack of animal wildlife......

well hopefully this week has cured that.... lots of piccies again i'm afraid...

Firstly, because theres water... the obligatory Ducks..courtsey of Preiser...

even got a good reflection there ,, surprised myself hehehehe...

in the distance here a common sight in the UK...

and closer,,, these were from some sort of cheap "hunting & hunters pack" off fleabay...

Now one of my favourite scenes... because I MADE THAT PIGEON !!!.....

well actually i "converted" it from one of these....

apparently according to my "cake-decorating-girlfriend" they are for christening/baby cakes and are supposedly Doves. I cut off both wings , reduced them to a "folded-wing" glued them bak on and a bit of paint...hey presto...Dove becomes Pigeon!!!... the cat by the way is a dolls house item...

another piccie cos i'm right proud of the scene...

Now the next common site on the banks of the Humber are.....RABBITS.... surprisingly these are proving difficult to find but I've made a start this is the "pet-rabbit" variety from a dolls house company sold in good old Black and White ( awww.. how cute eh???).. anyways some mucky brown/grey and it becomes a wild rabbit...hopefully...

included in the aforementioned hunting pack was some dogs too so always having a soft spot for Labradors these have made it onto the layout too...

this faithfull one decided it would stay with its master all working day long...

And this one has just caught sight of the "Cat and Pigeon" goings on...

and again...

and this one is just plain "nosey"...

You will also notice from piccies that I'm managing to paint/install "clutter" barrels/tools/jerry cans etc... this bit seems to be endless but answer me this...if you can????...From the last 2 photos???.... can anyone explain why a figure with his back to you almost always seems to be answering a call of nature??... have a look at both photos again.... hahahahaha....

Enjoy,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

light travels faster than sound... thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!!!

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:52 pm

This is looking spectacular Charlie! GN15 is getting increasingly tempting, if i had more space I would so go for it!

I love the ducks in particularly, they look very happy bobbing about in the river. Something I've always liked the idea of is a kid playing with a model boat in a pond/river etc, but I don't suppose this is the place for it!

Good luck with the expo dude!
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:05 pm

I like it, it's really coming alive :D

My question is (not suprising really), is where did you get the cat figurine from? Or, if you made it yourself, I'll take six!! :wink:
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:02 pm

More_Cats_Than_Sense wrote:I like it, it's really coming alive :D

My question is (not suprising really), is where did you get the cat figurine from? Or, if you made it yourself, I'll take six!! :wink:

I wish I could make one that good Barry.... its from Mollys House

http://www.mollys-house.co.uk/Cat+-+Stalking++PVVUTXhFRE14b0RkalZIWnZKSGM

although currently out of stock :(

Cheers

Charlie
My YouTube videos

earlybay
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Whimsicle garden narrow gauge

Postby earlybay » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Sorry havent posted a formal 'Hello' on here yet - but this layout just captures what I would like to achieve in a minimum space layout - often the most interesting designs come from being restricted in some way (eg. Money/time/space..etc) - love the theme as I too grew up near a brickworks line like this (in South East Essex) ..

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi Charlie,

There is no need to panic.
Your layout looks fine the way it is. I am sure it will be a hit at the exhibition.
You have done a great job on the birds.

Glen

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby dieselwater » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:59 am

Well done Charlie! Congrats on the exhibition invite 8) You've done a smashing job with the layout, the animals and birds etc are the icing on the proverbial mud cake (being a clay works) :wink: :D

David.

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:23 pm

......the management at Barton Ings decided to get on the 'phone and address the recent unacceptable behaviour by its employees...... by hiring an essential piece of equipment....

just needs some more paint and a proper base..... should be a marked improvement around the site now...

Enjoy,

Charlie ( less than 5 weeks to go now.....[smilie=crazy.gif] )
My YouTube videos

rockershovel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge industrial railways

Postby rockershovel » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:48 pm

didn't one version of P D Hancocks' NG layout have a flight of swans suspended on fine spring wire from a viaduct?
rambling miner

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:37 pm

rockershovel wrote:didn't one version of P D Hancocks' NG layout have a flight of swans suspended on fine spring wire from a viaduct?

:?: :?: :?:
My YouTube videos

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:00 am

Great work so far Charlie 8) Looking forward to seeing your layout in the flesh at MOMING :D

Simon.

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:41 am

Driff_Charlie wrote:
rockershovel wrote:didn't one version of P D Hancocks' NG layout have a flight of swans suspended on fine spring wire from a viaduct?

:?: :?: :?:

Thin black wire between the bridge and the bird gave the impression that the swans were in flight. I used a similar arrangement on Green End Quarry for the bird escaping the cat on the tipple roof. It looks better in still photos than it does in real life unless of course you want to model a hovering kestrel about to swoop on one of the rabbits below, then the static bird could be believed.

rockershovel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge industrial railways

Postby rockershovel » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:55 am

that's a good point.. however I did rather think that photography for magazine publication was an important feature of the Craig and Mertonford layout.
rambling miner

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Brickwork.......Again!!

Postby Charlie Stewart » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:18 pm

Finally I have just about finished the (external) brickwork so this afternoon has been spent "pointing" bricks with a mortar mix.... for the first tima all 3 major building tie-in with each other... I'm pretty pleased with the overall look now its just what i had imagined when I started the layout.....

Overall...

a bit closer...

engine shed...

i'm now fitting bricks to the inside of the loco shed!!!!! I also made a new bench and fixed some paving slabs to the floor in here... all nice & rough/dirty of course....

and the "moody" shot with no flash....

Enjoy,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby dieselwater » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Charlie your brickwork is superb! The loo should be useful, though having worked on construction sites down the years, those things can get real stinky :shock: :twisted:

Again, a massive congrats to you on a terrific layout :D

David.

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:53 pm

I finally painted ALL the mud and managed to blend/match it all together, quite pleased now with the colours/finish, just need some Yacht Varnish to make it appear wetter...... I have also started to detail little cameos etc... even further, here is a photo of the mud painted, it also shows a broken/scrap hudson chassis, the jack/tools suggest an attempt at reparing it but now that idea seems long forgotten..?

Then I tried to add to the details on the fuel tank/ filling point...

Closer....

Enjoy,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

Panda
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railway, mostly my layout, music, sailing, leaf sprung land rovers

Postby Panda » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:51 pm

Charlie... that is fantastic. I love the little lab on the simplex, and the level of detail is great, looking at the photos again with the black and white screen on my computor I am hard pressed to tell it is a model. You have captured the flat, but highly detailed nature of real life very well.

Lovely layout.
Peter-John Sanders (formally known as mogbass01)

http://drws-y-coed-railway.blogspot.com/

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:27 pm

a real challenge here.... making REAL wood look like.....WOOD !!!.... seem to have no problems with resin kits even plasticard no probs making it look like old/aged wood.. but try it with the real thing and is soooo difficult. The look i wanted was aged plywood without having had any paint/preservative on it ever. from the net/video etc it seems to just darken with a "greyish" colour, also the nail/screw marks tend to not be a rust colour but rather a dark grey/blackish vertical streak.....

after a few different approaches heres my take on it so far...

the nail "streaking" is a little clearer here...

Then I have been trying to work on the "concrete" area. the nature of the layout is predominately "damp" so the usual light grey diddnt seem right for the concrete and infact looked really bad. I have used a couple of dark washes and then dry brushed some various "green" paints and this seems to be getting there, I also "cracked" the concrete well to represent a hard neglected life....

Must work on the top of this fence too.... :oops: :oops:

And another bonus today !!! I now have a "continuous-run" DVD of the actual line in operation, and the owners/copyrighters permission to use the dvd at the Telford show, so that should really help the layout make sense to people not familiar with the line so to speak......

....just over 3 WEEKS to go........ :shock: :shock:

Enjoy,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

Panda
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railway, mostly my layout, music, sailing, leaf sprung land rovers

Postby Panda » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:22 pm

I think you have got the look of that spot on! Can't wait to see it at Telford!
Peter-John Sanders (formally known as mogbass01)

http://drws-y-coed-railway.blogspot.com/

Return to “Modelling Matters”