Nellie/Hector hybrid NECTOR - MG&FT No7 "Dinsdale&q

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Nellie/Hector hybrid NECTOR - MG&FT No7 "Dinsdale&q

Postby Mark Goodwin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:23 pm

The photo below shows a unique combination of GN15 and 7mm parts from Mike Rayner's Smallbrook Studio, assembled into a GN15 Saddletank loco to match Nellie and Hector. Being a saddletank, my initial intention was to name the engine "Atlas", however, for some odd unknown reason the name "Dinsdale" was chosen with the added benefit of being able to fit the nameplate on the saddletank.

I recently paid Mike a visit whilst visiting the Isle of Wight and he kindly gave me a 7mm saddletank casting second from his 7mm bodyline kit "Cleo". My orginal intention was to do a simple conversion using Hector's cab and safety valve on a Nellie kit. Having the saddletank meant that I couldn't resist trying to fit it. The conversion required the removal of 3mm from the saddletank casting and the addition of some semi-circular styrene profile on the base of each side - then a bit of filler. The Nellie side tanks wre cut down by about 10mm to make everything in proportion. The pressure valve is a collection of various parts (Hectors pump, cut down Nellie tank filler and cut down original Nellie safety valve base !! ) The name and number plates are scratchbuilt using "Slaters" lettering. More pictures when painted. :D :roll:
Kind regards
Mark

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Music, photography, travelling, College Football

Postby foswaldy13 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Once again Mark, your modeling is superb. Well done, and I can't wait to see it painted.
Matt Oswald

Chrisp
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Industrial and Lumber RRs

Postby Chrisp » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Dinsdale!

Have a gnice day.

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:14 am

Great work Mark 8)

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:26 am

I like the way you are combining the kits to get such variety Mark. 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sun May 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Some pictures of "Dinsdale" completed

A side profile shot showing an anxious Driver Firestone due to the presence of the Station Master checking progress with his timetable and stopwatch. The figure is a converted "Septimus Spokeshave".

A 3/4 front view. The sandbox between the cab side and spring is an old lamp casting from Mike Rayner's Smallbrook Studio - as is most of what you see in the photographs on the tracks and the figures. This little extra was used to conceal the motor in the chassis that was also painted black.

Finish is with an airbrush and a mixture of "Vallejo" and Gamesworkshop paints.

Kind regards
Mark

Return to “Modelling Matters”