The ACME Factory

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

The ACME Factory

Postby Adrian » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:09 pm

G'day All

The story of the ACME factory.

The Acme company started as a small backyard business by the brothers Warner but as Wile E Coyote. their first customer, purchased more “things”, desperately trying to catch that pesky roadrunner, the Acme company prospered and expanded to larger premises and that is how it arrived at its present size and location.

Because of the large work load and the diverse range of goods that were required by Wile, but mainly because they wanted their very own little railway, the managers decided to install a 15” gauge railway to bring in raw materials, move them around the factory and ship out the finished products.

To get workers from the outlaying areas to the factory they had purchased a couple of coach kits from Fcalv and after putting them together they decided that they really needed to sit on track a little wider than 15" so they mounted them on 22" bogies. This meant that the layout will be dual gauge with narrow gauge for the goods and broad gauge for the passengers.

Well that's my story and I intend to stick to it.
--------------------------------------oOo-------------------------------

I wanted to have the effect of the buildings towering over the trains so I intend to have at least 3 stories on part of the building and a really tall chimney at the other end of the layout to act as some sort of a visual balance.

The layout is the same size as my “Ladysmith Sidings”, 45" x 17", which means that I can use the same base........one less thing to make !

Because of the tight curves and the dual gauge track all the track will have to be hand laid. I am not very happy with this as it involves a couple of points which have no moving bits but which will separate the 16.5mm and 22mm tracks in the fiddle yard.

And also a single point out the front which will switch the narrow gauge but not the broad gauge.

Although the outer loop is sort of set in stone (ie I have already layed most of that track ) the shunting area is still very much in a state of flux. Not sure if it is to be an “Inglenook” or “timesaver” style yet.
The "Timesaver" style (option 1) has a greater number of points and allows the loco to change ends on the train which allows for greater flexability.
The "Inglenook" style (option 2) has fewer points but means that the loco can only be at the right hand end of the train.

Maybe some input from you guys might help ?

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

teetrix
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge in H0 and 0n30/0f

Postby teetrix » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:37 pm

Adrian, if it's still able to add a switch to the main line, I would prefer number two and connect the right side of the first narrow track with the mainline too. It allows you to set the loco on both ends and it's only one switch more.

Michael

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:33 pm

I really admire people who can hand lay dual gauge and combine a point into it! 8)

As to your track options; The black lines drawn on the board looks like it had a traverser across the end of the sidings. That would look cool. :P

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:37 am

G'day

Michael:
Must admit I hadn't thought of adding another point on the main line.
It would add some form of extra intrest to the shunting.....just the thought of pulling up perfectly good track and building another dual gauge point is holding me back :!:

Glen:
If you want dual gauge track at the radius that I want one has to hand lay it........Not too difficult if you take it slowly and have a number of gauges.
The thing that you thought was a traverser was actually a gantry crane ( working of course ) but I like the idea of a traverser......might be interesting :shock:

Thanks for the feedback guys. :D

Now back to the drawing board.......
Last edited by Adrian on Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian Hoad

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:20 am

Glen A wrote:I really admire people who can hand lay dual gauge and combine a point into it! 8)

\

....you obviously didn't see my triple gauge turnout in S scale that was in my shed when you were last lurking :!: Got an award at the '92 Convention. What's more, it was wired to run trains on all three gauges.

I presume those trucks in the photos are HO, and S scales ?
Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:28 am

:? 22" gauge, I hear you say.... well, it does exist.

... and of course, the original line at the Homestake Mine at Lead SD (near Deadwood) was also 22" gauge.
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:13 am

G'day Gavin

Yes, the bogies are HO & S ........there being no need to reinvent the wheel :?

Regarding the 22" gauge that is approx what S gauge works out to be in 1/24 scale......but I think that no matter what gauge you chose somebody out there will find a prototype :shock:

Regarding triple gauge turnouts.....I think that anybody who even decides to build such a beastee deserves an award. :D

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:08 am

Adrian wrote:Regarding triple gauge turnouts.....I think that anybody who even decides to build such a beastee deserves an award. :D

Or committing to a mental institution :?: :lol:

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:07 am

G'day Glen

You wrote:
Or committing to a mental institution

Such as the Gn15 forum :?: :?:

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:36 am

Adrian wrote:G'day Glen

You wrote:
Or committing to a mental institution

Such as the Gn15 forum :?: :?:

Cheers

:shock: Why do I feel 'at home' :?:
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:47 pm

22" was one of Cagney's catalogue gauges according to the information I have. It must have been fairly common in the US therefore. That looks like a nice orginal Cagney in the picture.

Chris

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:04 pm

chris krupa wrote:22" was one of Cagney's catalogue gauges according to the information I have. It must have been fairly common in the US therefore. That looks like a nice orginal Cagney in the picture.

Chris

8) It is. When I went to the Zoo, I noticed on the door prices 'train Ride', didn't pay too much attention, expecting some fairground attraction type gaudy diesel powered steam outline excuse for a train. It wasn't long before I heard the melodious steam whistle, and barking exhaust, that led me on safari to hunt down the beast, which at first sight, I identified as a Cagney.
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Mon May 10, 2010 1:38 am

G'day All

Just a quick update on the Acme layout.

Taking on the ideas I have changed the layout quite a bit......
The black lines are dual gauge
The red lines are 16.5mm track and are only used for goods traffic
The green lines are 22mm track for passenger stock only.
The yellow line i the factory/backdrop.

The plan allows for the goods train to approach from either end and get off the main line, allowing uninterupted use of the main line by the passenger train.

It will also have a traverser (thanks for the idea Glen ) on the left as this will avoid building at least two points......always a good thing....and save a little space.

The switchable point from the mainline into the yard has now been ripped out and replaced with a diverging type with no moving parts......

And a new diverging point installed at the other end of the layout ( not quite what you suggested Michael but close)
This means that no matter which way the goods train is travelling it will not have to reverse onto the mainline. Something that was worrying me on the original layout.

The main loop is now done and is about to be wired and then tested. Well at least the 22mm gauge section.

Well, back to the work bench and the wiring.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

JackBlack
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Model Trains, Drawing, Reading Mags

Postby JackBlack » Mon May 10, 2010 7:04 am

How did you make 2 tracks in one peice of track??
Jack

14 & can't decide on a trackplan.

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Mon May 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Adrian the points look interesting, and I like the simplicity of not having any moving parts in them, I like the new plan as well.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Mon May 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Michael obviously has a quicker eye that I do, but I've done sprung points before. Is this the same, in the in the first photo of the track, a train moving left to right will always go straight on, whereas a train approaching from top right will join the main line?

Many years ago I tried to do that for a model of the Haytor Tramway, but failed. Am I close or is everyone else seeing something I'm gnot, which is more than likely?

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

shortliner
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby shortliner » Mon May 10, 2010 5:43 pm

Non moving turnouts are being discussed on RMweb, and yes - they do work! http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... on-points/

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Tue May 11, 2010 12:02 am

G'day All

Jack.....If you look at the last picture you will see that the inside rail is common to both gauges.....the outer rails provide the 16.5mm and 22mm gauge rails.....therfore 3 rails do the work of 4.

Andy A.......A closer look at the two point photos will show that the diverging track is the 16.5mm gauge while the straight track is the 22mm gauge.......this means that the gauge of the vehicle which determines which direction it will take.
Assuming the train is coming from the left....
If it is 16.5mm gauge its running rail will force it to the diverging track.
If it is 22mm gauge the long straight checkrail will lead it onto the straight route

Hope that this make things a little clearer :D

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

JackBlack
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Model Trains, Drawing, Reading Mags

Postby JackBlack » Tue May 11, 2010 9:02 am

Oh now I see, thanks Adrian.
Jack

14 & can't decide on a trackplan.

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Tue May 11, 2010 9:35 am

Looking impressive, I'll be watching your track building with interest :D
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Tue May 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Nice work on the track Adrian. 8)

It all looks deceptively easy when your neat work is magnified to that size. You might even temp a few to have a go. But you will not fool me so easy. I know how hard it is to get a point frog aligned correctly.
I will just sit back and watch in awe :wink:

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Wed May 12, 2010 12:01 am

G'day all

Just wired up the track and after gapping ALL the sleepers (trains don't work too well with a dead short) I had my S gauge Black Beetle travelling on the main line.

It was at this time that I found a major problem......the train fell between the rails at a number of places... :oops:

A closer look at the S gauge track gauge found the problem....it was designed for code 125 track...not code 100, which allowed the track to change gauge as the slots that hold the rail are too wide.....while this made sure the track was no smaller than the minimum size but allowed it to spread to a wider than desirable gauge :shock:

Will now have to build my own gauge and modify the offending lengths of track.

Lesson learnt.....check you have the correct gauge for the code of rail you are using :D

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Sat May 15, 2010 6:17 am

G'day All

Well I have regauged all the S gauge track and now nothing falls between the rails any more........... By the way does anybody know what S gauge really is ?........Have heard that it is 22.42mm but I have found it is better set at about 22mm :?:

However I did have trouble with the front right point with the S gauge stuff being really very very bumpy.......
Point as it was........
followed by the point as it is now........

Can you see any difference ? I know I can't and I did the modifications !
(mainly just moving track around a little bit)

One other problem that reared its ugly head was when I tried running one of my 'Lolo' locos through the points was that it leaped around like a frog on steriods :!: After a few false starts I discovered that the back to back wheel gauge on the 'Lolo' is actually smaller than the NMRA standard for HO :oops: (and of cours my track is close to the NMRA standards.
I then tried out the Black Bettle which ran through the pointwork as if it was straight track. :D

So if I want to run the 'Lolo' chassis on this lauout I will have to find a way of increasing the gauge of the wheels by about half to one millimetre. ( and I have got four to do :( )

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Sat May 15, 2010 7:01 am

Adrian wrote:G'day All

Well I have regauged all the S gauge track and now nothing falls between the rails any more........... By the way does anybody know what S gauge really is ?........Have heard that it is 22.42mm but I have found it is better set at about 22mm :?:

However I did have trouble with the front right point with the S gauge stuff

'S' is the scale (1:64th) not a gauge. For instance S scale in New Zealand most commonly runs on 16.5mm gauge track to model 3 ft 6 inch gauge prototype. So the gauge can be what ever prototype gauge your modelling.

http://www.s-scale.org.uk/history.htm states the gauge is 0.884 of an inch so that is 22.45 mm to model 4 ft 8 1/3 inch standard gauge.
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Sat May 15, 2010 7:59 am

DCRfan wrote:
Adrian wrote:G'day All

However I did have trouble with the front right point with the S gauge stuff

'S' is the scale (1:64th) not a gauge. For instance S scale in New Zealand most commonly runs on 16.5mm gauge track to model 3 ft 6 inch gauge prototype. So the gauge can be what ever prototype gauge your modelling.

http://www.s-scale.org.uk/history.htm states the gauge is 0.884 of an inch so that is 22.45 mm to model 4 ft 8 1/3 inch standard gauge.

:shock: ...or you can use the NASG standard, which is 7/8" for Standard gauge, which is what I have a bit of.
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Return to “Modelling Matters”