Newland's Farm

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Rex Ashton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Modelling something different

Newland's Farm

Postby Rex Ashton » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi everybody. Not been a member for long but I thought I'd let you know where I've got to. It's all Alexander Losch's fault for building F. Huber & Son - lovely layout - but I don't think I'm the first to be mightily impressed with his modelling.
For longer than I care to think about I've been tempted to build something along the lines of the Lincolnshire Potato Railways so here goes.
Having a spare 4'x2' board pointed me in the direction of Alex's Barwurz & Co but as you can see from my plan I rarther liked the turntable from Huber - might all end up being a bit tight though, we'll see.
I'm afraid I'm going to be a bit boring with the first loco and put a Sidelines conversion onto a Bachmann mechanical. It runs well, comes dcc fitted and I've already got one (Hopefully it will get a Loksound Micro chip in it). As you can see I've reworked the bonnet as many others have done and I'm eagerly awaiting a parcel from Steve with the rest of the bits.
Gnot only am I new to Gn15, I'm also a recent DCC convert. Does anyone know how to wire up the sector plate because as far as I can see the polarity has to be reversed when it's aligned with the fiddleyard. I guess the same applies if the turtable is rotated through 360 degrees - any help would be much appreciated.
I'm hoping to have the layout in my local exhibition in February and I'll hopefully keep a progress report going on here.

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things Narrow Gauge

Postby NarrowGauge » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:19 am

Since you are using DCC you will need to install 1 "reverse loop module" between the main track feed and the sector plate rails and a second "reverse loop module" between the main track feed and the turntable rails.

You can use any brand. I have used the Digitrax one and it works fine with both my Bachmann DCC Controller (Like the one you have) and it works fine with my NCE Controller.

for more info about the Digitrax one look at this link http://www.digitrax.com/prd_powerman_ar1.php

I hope this helps
Tess

You Can't Have Everything .... Where Would You Put It
http://trainsbytess.blogspot.com/

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things Narrow Gauge

Postby NarrowGauge » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:22 am

Oh I also forgot to say. I don't believe that these modules will work with Normal DC. So all your locos must be DCC Chipped (even thought your controller will support 1 DC Loco).
Tess

You Can't Have Everything .... Where Would You Put It

http://trainsbytess.blogspot.com/

Rex Ashton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Newland's Farm

Postby Rex Ashton » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:41 am

Hi Tess

Thanks for the info. The Bachmann controller is an Ebay cheapie to test things out. The intention will be to use the NCE Powercab - Father Christmass willing!.

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15

Postby Charlie Stewart » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Hello Rex & welcome, Can I please ask for some more info on those v-skips in your first photo Please???

Good luck with the turntable..... for an alternative to the reversing modules see my post My Bodger Turntable......It works!!!

which I used on my previous layout the sunshine orange co.

Cheers,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

light travels faster than sound... thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!!!

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Great job on the interesting track design Rex.

That should give you a variety of operational possibilities.

Rex Ashton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Newlads's Farm

Postby Rex Ashton » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:46 am

Hi Charlie

The V skips are actually 0n30 ones produced some time ago by 'American Model Builders Inc'. I don't know whether they're still available or not. They are whitemetal kits with vacuum formed skips. Maybe a bit small for Gn15 but they might work. I've had a quick look at your article re the turntable - seems like it might be the answr. Thanks.

Rex Ashton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Newlands Farm

Postby Rex Ashton » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi All

By way of an update. The bits have come from Steve Bennett to complete the Davenport conversion. The loco's in the paintshops at the moment so I'll post photos as soon as. I've made a start on the main buildings as well and I'm realising just how big this 1:22.5 scale stuff is now!
Does anyone out there do a good English Garden Wall bond brickwork that I could use or am I looking at producing my own or possibly using seperate bricks? Any info would be very welcome.

Ken Hamilton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 1/2" scale Narrow Gauge, 1/25th-scale model cars; Writing; Photography; Hots Rods

Postby Ken Hamilton » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:16 pm

That's a neat little layout design. Looks like it'll be a lot of fun!
I look forward to more progress pictures.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Re: Newlands Farm

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:40 pm

Rex Ashton wrote:Hi All

Does anyone out there do a good English Garden Wall bond brickwork that I could use or am I looking at producing my own or possibly using seperate bricks? Any info would be very welcome.

Interesting layout Rex.
Bromley Craft products produce a range of brickwork stencils in 1/24 scale, however I'm not sure whether the bond you mention is offered.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 pm

It's all Nick Ogden's fault really (on FinescaleRR forum). He made a beautiful little diorama in 1:32 using individual bricks so I am today in the process of gluing down all 104 brick shaped bits of styrene to make a silicone mould so I can make bricks out of casting plaster and concrete oxides so I can a) get the colours I want and need - and b) so I can get some realism into the layout with brick walls etc. I thought briefly about scribing foamcore or DAS clay etc but in the end Nick's diorama won me over. Time consuming and a little bit mad but then, it's your layout and only you know what level of realism you are happy with. There are a couple of suppliers of 1:24 scale bricks out there but at a cost that was just too high for me to justify. If you reallly really want English garden wall bond design, then you will need to create it yourself - all the brick slips used on dolls houses are common bond that I have seen. Garden bond is peculiar to the UK. If you decide to do it with individual bricks, please write about it on this thread so I can see how other Gnutters go about it!!!!!! LOL :D
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:04 pm

If you reallly really want English garden wall bond design, then you will need to create it yourself

I know the feeling Ian, try tin ceiling tiles :(
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Rex Ashton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Newland's Farm

Postby Rex Ashton » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:43 am

Hi Everyone.
As I've not posted for a while I thought I'd better update.
The original idea was based on The Lincolnshire Potato Railways but it's now looking more like Oxfordshire fruit farm.
I decided - based on some comments - that the trackplan was going to be a bit tricky (electrically) as it included a reverse loop and a turntable so I've simplified things a bit in that operationally it will be operated as an end to end and the turntable will act more as a sector plate - it won't go 360 degrees.
The buildings are progressing and I've resolved the brickwork issue by doing my own a la Pendon - time consuming but very rewarding.
The Bachmann Davenport conversion is finished and I'm very pleased and I've done the wire frames for two small trees. Pictures to follow as soon as I've done them.

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Artizen » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:33 am

I've been really busy with Christmas sales, post Christmas sales, NYE lottery, Back to School and Valentine's Day stuff recently so I have only managed to make 4980 bricks so far (since 20 October). Mad really. Still redesigning the building so I can take it with me on holiday on Saturday. Telly is even more boring at the coast for some reason.
Ian Hodgkiss

Brisbane, Australia

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:37 pm

Dang, been on Farcebook too much, am looking for the "Like" button :lol:
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Rex Ashton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Newland's Farm

Postby Rex Ashton » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:12 pm

As promised, I've managed to do some pics.

This photo shows my attempt at brickwork. The bricks have been drawn out on watercolour paper and scribed. A mortar wash was then brushed over the sheet using craft acrylic paint. After this had dried the bricks were individually painted using artists watercolours (Light Red, Raw Sienna and Burnt Umber) a random effect being created by varying the shades. It's very time consuming and I've done about 25 hours up to now!!!!!

A slightly wider view of the buildings. Ths basic shell is 3mm MDF. The side wall of the leanto will be finished in brick with a slate or tile roof. The taller barn is going to be done with wavey edge lapboard and fnished off with a thatched roof.

I've started two small trees to balance out the left hand end of the layout and conceal the exit to the fiddle yard at the back. The frames are made from soft wire (supplied by Greenscene) and covered with several coats of that company's 'Texture Bark'. Once they've been painted the foliage will mbe added using Woodland Scenics materials.

That's progress to date. Back to the brickwork!

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Artizen » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:33 pm

I assume the garden wall is done in garden wall bond? :) Your labour of love with the bricks is very gnice but how do you create a feeling of depth in 3D on the surface?
Ian Hodgkiss

Brisbane, Australia

Rex Ashton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Newland's farm

Postby Rex Ashton » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:04 am

Artizen wrote:I assume the garden wall is done in garden wall bond? :) Your labour of love with the bricks is very gnice but how do you create a feeling of depth in 3D on the surface?

Hi Ian.
The wall is, to the best of my knowledge right. It has three rows of stretchers with one of headers. The relief is created by scribing the mortar lines into the paper before painting and the paper itself gives a nice feel to the bricks themselves. At normal viewig distances this looks fine. Assuming a scale of 1:24 (ish) a half inch deep mortar line is about half a millimeter.

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:01 pm

The layout is shaping up Gnicely. The bricks are excellent.
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:58 pm

You've more patience than me with wall building, which is probably why your wall looks like a wall, and my last attempt looked like a piece of card with bricks painted on it... Very nice.
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:41 am

Nice job on the bricks Rex, I sympathize with you regarding the time to do bricks. Ask me how I gnow. :wink:
Regards Michael

If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Rex Ashton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Rex Ashton » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:22 am

Hi All.

Thanks for the encouraging comments.

Korschtal wrote:my last attempt looked like a piece of card with bricks painted on it... Very nice.

Andy. Not that I'm any sort of expert but the secret seems to be scribing the mortar lines. The paint seems to stay within the brick rather than migrating into the mortar - or have I just been lucky? :?

Michael wrote:Nice job on the bricks Rex, I sympathize with you regarding the time to do bricks. Ask me how I gnow.

Michael. I guess you've done a few (lots!) then? :wink:

Rex Ashton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Newland's Farm

Postby Rex Ashton » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi everbody.
It's been a while and the layout is coming on nicely - not fast enough though. Most of the basics are done and it's going to my local club exhibition this weekend www.nmdrm.co.uk/nextexhibition.html

Hopefully when the panic's off I'll be able to do a proper update and post some more piccies - might even get the layout finished as well!

Below is a recent photo of some of the progress so far.

If anyone's at the show, please come and make yourself known.

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:14 pm

You have got a lot further than me in the same time frame - It looks really good ........ and I'm looking forward to those further pic's you've now promised - :D
KBO .......................... Andi.

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Definitely, this looks fantastic so far, more pics please!
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

Return to “Modelling Matters”