Gmeinder Gap

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Albert
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Re: Gmeinder Gap

Postby Albert » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Bilco wrote:So - I'm in the process of building a replacement engine compartment, and I bought a new can of paint from Howes this morning, so I hope the mark 2 will be better. But don't hold your breath :oops:

I'm sorry Bill, that you're not satisfied with it. In my humble opinion I would leave the cap as it is....rather prototypical I say. I can not see what is wrong with it. Please don't throw it away, use it!

Good luck,

Albert

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, the web, photography, art, outdoor life like camping, biking, paddling canoe etc.

Postby henrix72se » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:22 pm

Olov Kalderén wrote:As you ca see in the photo there are examples of real ones with less successfull paint jobs... :oops:
Yes, it's mine and it lacks the front buffer in the photo (but I have it!).
/Olov

since we live in the same country :D .. it would be nice to see your collection live some day .. :wink: :?: maybe next summer ?

/Henrik
I build Estate, Industrial and Military Light Railways in Fn18 (1/20) scale - http://Laurell.Today/

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:58 am

Bilco wrote:Forrest - you can stand down from watching this space for now.
Okay. Just send out a Gmeinder reminder when it's ready to watch again.

She sent me a reminder that I needed to find her a winder for her clockwork Gmeinder
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Olov Kalderén
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: NG Industrial Railways

Postby Olov Kalderén » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:22 am

henrix72se wrote:since we live in the same country :D .. it would be nice to see your collection live some day .. :wink: :?: maybe next summer ?

/Henrik

Ofcourse! :D Next summer I will hopefully have some track at my summer house and have been able to transport all the locos there. Right now most of the collection is in store "out of sight". You and any one else here are welcome to come by and visit! :D
/Olov

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:35 am

Bilco wrote:

I don't see anything to be scrapping the hood over. I wish my own models looked that good...
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

Olov Kalderén
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Olov Kalderén » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:18 am

I think the hood looks used and dirty instead of new and freshly painted! :wink:
And much better than mine! :D
/Olov

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:36 am

Bilco wrote:So - I'm in the process of building a replacement engine compartment,

Bilco's bonnet's being binned :shock:
Save the bonnet!

Hey, it's your bonnet, if you need to bin the bodged bonnet for a happier hood, do it.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:43 am

Willow Creek Traction wrote:
Bilco wrote:So - I'm in the process of building a replacement engine compartment,

Bilco's bonnet's being binned :shock:
Save the bonnet!

Hey, it's your bonnet, if you need to bin the bodged bonnet for a happier hood, do it.

Perhaps we could start a preservation movement for Bilco's Bonnet?
Andy in Stuttgart

More railway misadventures on:

www.korschtal.wordpress.com

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, the web, photography, art, outdoor life like camping, biking, paddling canoe etc.

Postby henrix72se » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:56 am

Olov Kalderén wrote:
henrix72se wrote:since we live in the same country :D .. it would be nice to see your collection live some day .. :wink: :?: maybe next summer ?

/Henrik

Ofcourse! :D Next summer I will hopefully have some track at my summer house and have been able to transport all the locos there. Right now most of the collection is in store "out of sight". You and any one else here are welcome to come by and visit! :D
/Olov

Great !! :D

I also did see that your site is working again ! :!:

/Henrik
I build Estate, Industrial and Military Light Railways in Fn18 (1/20) scale - http://Laurell.Today/

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Gmeinder Gap

Postby Bilco » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:02 pm

Gentlemen - I'm deeply touched by your concern for my bonnet (well, my Gmeinder's bonnet). Maybe I'm being a bit too critical - painting is always the most traumatic part of model-making for me. Just to give you a better idea of the paint job on the bonnet here is a cruel close-up

I guess it doesn't look too bad from normal viewing distance - if I take my specs off - and squint a bit - just close my eyes a little ...

OK - I'll reconsider my bonnet-binning in the light of your plaintive pleas - although the replacement is progressing well, I'll still have to go through the painting again, with all the pain that involves.

Forrest - you can go back on space-watching duties.

Thanks guys. :D
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:23 pm

I don't know, not too far away from these effects :lol:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=345100
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=340514
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=342311

But, yeah, ya gotta be happy with it - if you aren't happy with it that will nag at you every time you look at it and take the fun out of using it.

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Gmeinder Gap

Postby Bilco » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks for those links Forrest - certainly some extreme weathering there! Didi and Izzy are pleased to see another lady driver, too :roll:
Bill

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:43 pm

Bill,

Please do not scrap the bonnet. It's a perfect finish for an industrial engine. Wonderful stuff. :D
Kind regards
Mark

Hans H
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge and off roading

Postby Hans H » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:41 pm

The bonnet, is looking good to me to, but if you feel the need for a new one save tho old one for some decoration, a boonet sticking up through the long grass or something. Keep up the good work and keep us all posted
Cheers
Hans Hammarsten
Västerås, Sweden

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Gmeinder Gap

Postby Bilco » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Right - that's enough - I'm calling this project finished. I ended up using the replacement engine compartment, although getting it painted was just as fraught as the original, and well up (down) to my usual standard. I seem to have achieved paintwork with peeling layers and covered in dirt and oil - don't ask how, no SBS - it just happened as I struggled to fix successive screw-ups as things followed their usual downward trajectory. Maybe factory finish is the way to go.

View from the front. Making the guard in front of the radiator grill proved to be one of the less traumatic parts of the build. It's made from plastic strip, and my cheat of using little cubes at the corners isn't too obvious.

From the rear. The gear box turned out quite well. The seat is supposed to be made of wood, and swivel from side to side as required.

Izzy was getting very impatient, waiting for her loco. She isn't very impressed with the state of it.

Anyway, I don't want to waste any more time on it. Onwards to projects new (and more struggles with paintwork) :roll:
Bill

Hans H
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge and off roading

Postby Hans H » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Now we're talking, this one came out real good!!

Congrats to a new critter :D
Cheers

Hans Hammarsten

Västerås, Sweden

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:26 pm

Looks great Bill, I think you should keep a record of how you painted this Loco and use the same procedure on all future projects. :wink:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Olov Kalderén
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Olov Kalderén » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Nice! :D It looks a lot better than mine! The red color suits the loco - I might paint mine red too - so, if you haven't found a prototype for it before, I might have one for you in the future! :lol:
/Olov

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:37 pm

Bilco,

think you may have fallen into that all too common trap "can't see the wood for the trees" , you have worked so hard on trying to get that finish you can see in your own imagination, that you have missed just how good an overall effect you have achieved !!!!

The colour and all the details on the bonnet are great and I am especially impressed with the different tones you have achieved around the gearbox, brake and seat areas.

Nice work
Gordon F

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Loco looks great Bill, you ought not to be too hard on yourself, if your first loco was absolutely perfect in your eyes you would not have the opportunity to do it all over again and learn new stuff.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:29 am

Nice model Bill.
Peter

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:50 am

PeterH wrote:Nice model Bill.

That it is.

And not to be confused wit the similar phrase, "Nice model bill" uttered by Daffy Duck after being shown various styles whilst shopping for replacement parts.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:12 am

I really like the wooden seat. Though you don't get to see it once a driver is on it :roll:

Narrow gauge Nutter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: anything & everything narrow gauge

Postby Narrow gauge Nutter » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Would like to support the previous comments - GREAT

Just wish I could model and paint that well....... :oops:
David H-G, the Narrow gauge Nutter

Lost in France and loving it!

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Gmeinder Gap

Postby Bilco » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:14 pm

Very many thanks all the very kind comments gents - I had got rather depressed about the way the Gmeinder has finished. I think you're right, Gordon - looking again at the photos gives a little distance and I don't feel quite as bad :roll:

Anyway, I realized that the photos on my last post all showed the left side so, to redress the balance, here's the right side

Right rear view shows the gearbox and brake lever.

And here is the line-up of the 3 imagineered German critters

Left to right - Wot-the-Deutz, Diema-like, Gmeinder Gap

Right - onwards and upwards
Bill

Return to “Modelling Matters”