A new layout for TMTEX 2012

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things Narrow Gauge

A new layout for TMTEX 2012

Postby NarrowGauge » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:54 pm

I started planning and building a new layout for next years model train show held here in Toowoomba (Queensland, Australia). It's a Gn15 Layout, basically just a big oval with a couple of points out the front and a transverse table at the back.
What I'm excited about and just felt the need to share with you is the point levers I built.

Tess

You Can't Have Everything .... Where Would You Put It
http://trainsbytess.blogspot.com/

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Just had a look at the blog Tess. I have seen this solution once before but not as well engineered. Great work.

Simon

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:36 pm

:idea: that'll fly!
(even if it is bolted to the ground) :wink:
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:40 am

Nice solution on the switch lever Tess. The blog looks good as well.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby NarrowGauge » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:07 pm

I have been working on more Fruit and Veggies for a roadside stall/hut that I've built. These are a combination of both real seed coloured to suit or made from scratch out of oven dried clay .

Just in case you were wondering (from top left)...

Brown Onions - Coriander Seeds
Eggplant or Aubergine - Pine Nuts (Painted Black)
Unknown Veggie - (can't remember what it was supposed to be?) - Fennel Seeds
Cucumber - Cannellini Beans (Painted Green)
Bananas - Oven Dried Clay
Squash - Allspice Pimento (Painted cream)
White Onions or Garlic ? - Coriander Seeds (Painted White)
Watermelon - Oven Dried Clay
Tomatoes - Oven Dried Clay
Pumpkins - Oven Dried Clay
Carrots - Oven Dried Clay
Tess

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:59 pm

Nice looking collection Tess, well done.
Regards Michael

If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:09 pm

Excellent Tess, almost looks like you are ready to go to market :)
You have a few in there that I have not tried before, so you have given me some fresh ideas to try, thanks.
I suspect that the Fennel seeds which slipped your memory,are representing Courgettes, at least thats what I use thm for :wink:
Well done, an inspirational post.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

kf4mat
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 modeling

Postby kf4mat » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:02 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:I suspect that the Fennel seeds which slipped your memory,are representing Courgettes, at least thats what I use thm for :wink:
Well done, an inspirational post.

I thought it looked more like okra.

Very nice work Tess.

Tom

ian holmes
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, photography and maintaining my Englishness living in America

Postby ian holmes » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:49 pm

Some very inspiring work there Tess.

Ian
Model railway psychic nutjob
Ian's Gn15 pages at http://www.iholmes.com
Try something different http://gnine.info

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:50 am

G'day Tess

Like the way your little layout is going together.

The point levers look good.....a clever solution that solves both the mechanical and electrical problems of point control with a great looking lever as a bonus.

The fruit and vegies look nutritious as well.

If things go as hoped, I might take a trip up north next year to see the finished (?) layout at Toowoomba next year.

Keep up the good work
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby NarrowGauge » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:16 am

Adrian wrote:G'day Tess
If things go as hoped, I might take a trip up north next year to see the finished (?) layout at Toowoomba next year.

It would be nice to meet you in person Adrian, if you could make it.
As for completing it. That certainly is my plan. I really missed not going to the show this year and don't wont that to happen again.

So as today was a really good day, well weather wise anyway, I tried to lay the track. Not every thing when to plan (Dam Murphy's Law) but I'm almost there with the track work.

On the Left of this photo you can see the transfer table in place. It even slides in on out. I just have to align and pin down the tracks

The location of the points on the viewing side still needs to be locked in so then I can install the plywood track bed and risers.

Also before too much more work is done the curved backdrop needs fixing in place.

But I'm happy with today efforts.

... oh almost forgot to add. Thank you to Steve and Tom for the Veggie ideas. Steve's "Courgettes" Image and Tom's "Okra's" Image
both look as if they would work. Although I also have to admit that until I Googled "Okra" I had no idea just what they were. In fact still not sure, but the do look the part :)
Anyway thanks for every ones comments and words of encouragement .
Tess

kf4mat
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 modeling

Postby kf4mat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:27 pm

NarrowGauge wrote:
Although I also have to admit that until I Googled "Okra" I had no idea just what they were. In fact still not sure, but the do look the part :)

Sorry about that Tess, Okra is a Southern US thing mainly. I really like it fried but will eat it in soups and gumbos as well. Other than saying it tastes like okra I guess you could compare it somewhat to eggplant but with a weirder texture.

Tom

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby NarrowGauge » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:06 am

Progress has been slow but the backdrop is now in place. It still needs some smoothing out and painting but has really stiffened up the layout without adding very much weight at all.

The transfer table is still giving me a great deal of grief as my wood working skills are ... amateurish to say the least. I might do away with that idea completely and put in a couple of points to make a passing loop at the back instead. It may stop a number of headaches in the long run.

Tess

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:34 am

NarrowGauge wrote:The transfer table is still giving me a great deal of grief as my wood working skills are ... amateurish to say the least.

Woodworking in this photo looks far from amateurish Tess.
Progress is looking great.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:31 pm

Wow. :shock:

What height is that back-board?
It looks great! You should be able to get some good scenery or painted backdrop up there.

One thing most layouts suffer from is height (due to transport logistics and other reasons). I believe if you can get height into a layout, you are on to an instant winner. It will get the instant 'wow' factor when people view it. My golden rule is the height must be greater than the viewable width. And the layouts I have built like that seem to have been credited as a good layout even though some of the modelling on them was decidedly average.

Glen.

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby NarrowGauge » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:49 am

Wow it's been four and half months since I posted anything on here. Actually when I think about it, it's been that long since I have done any modeling. College seems to be taking up most of my time these days but I needed a break and decided that a little kit bashing over Christmas was just what I needed. I'm sorry that I didn't take more photos as I went but I just got on a roll and kept going. This was a Bachmann Davernport Gas Mechanical. I made a new cab and added some extra detail.

Some detail of the Cab View

My favorite part of this model is the radiator. It is made entirely from styrene.

and finally a comparison shot to gauge its approximate size.

I still have some weathering to do and I want to add some more cab detail (perhaps a pepper 7 cab kit?) but it is basically finished.

Oh nearly forgot to add...
Glen A wrote:Wow. :shock:

What height is that back-board?
It looks great! You should be able to get some good scenery or painted backdrop up there...

Glen.

The total height is 55 cm from the bottom of the layout to the highest part of the backdrop. So on average its about 50cm to ground level in most spots. I didn't really think that through I just made what looked right. I did a test fit into the car today :oops:. It wont fit through the hatch back even with the back seats folded down so I guess to get it to the show I'll have to put it in the trailer. :lol:
Tess

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:42 am

The loco looks great.

Don't kill the height of the backscene though - at the moment it is high enough to make it more presentable at a show.

How far along are you with track laying etc?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby NarrowGauge » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:31 am

Hmmm. Track laying came to a stop I was totally disheartened with the transfer/slide table at the back of the layout that I stopped track work for a while. I just cant seem to get correct alignment with the thing, even using draw runners. I have decided to hang the expense and install a passing loop using a couple of Peco set track point there instead. Also I need to give the backdrop a good undercoat and paint in the sky again. I tried to cut corners and just paint directly on the plywood. tI looked terrible and would detract from the look I think.
Tess

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:26 am

NarrowGauge wrote:... but I just got on a roll and kept going.
Hey, never apologize for that!
Loco is looking good.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:35 am

Great work on the loco - the chevvy looks nice too!

:D
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook..

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby NarrowGauge » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:24 am

More work on the layout. I undercoated the backdrop white.

...Here is a tip for free. Don't paint something white out in the Queensland Summer sun in the middle of the day.
... I couldn't see anything for ages afterwards.
8)

I will try painting in the sky tomorrow after a light sanding.

I also modified the back area of the baseboard.
I removed the failed attempt of a 3 track, transfer table (red area) and added some new supports and plywood into the newly created hole (yellow area). Then I installed two Peco Set Track point (yellow arrows). I've still got to attach the other end of the passing loop track and pin it all down. But I just couldn't resist running a Loco and around for a while on the track that worked.

I'm trying to add a short video of the layout working but It's been so long since I've uploaded anything there that I can't remember my Photo Bucket Password :oops:
Tess

only15
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things Minimum!

Postby only15 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:44 pm

Looking good Tess!
Looking forward to seeing this one progress...
Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may very well be an on-coming train! ;)
Taylor Creek Tramway - 35n12
21 years young,
Tasmania, Australia.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:14 pm

I think you have done yourself a favor getting rid of that transfer table.
They are a good idea in theory, but hard to get working right and if you are running at an exhibition, then you can be sure its going to cause trouble :twisted:

That passing loop doesn't look very long. What length trains are you intending to run? And how many wagons can you get on that passing loop and still get a train past?
If you are just using it to store one train while you run another, then you might want to consider using two dead end sidings instead and just back the trains in/out when you want to swap trains. There is room on your board to get much longer storage sidings than you will get in that loop.
Just a thought...

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby NarrowGauge » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:23 am

Glen A wrote: ... that passing loop doesn't look very long. What length trains are you intending to run? And how many wagons can you get on that passing loop and still get a train past?

Yes you were right, even with a very short train (1 loco + 1 wagon) other things on the mainline would collect on the ends. Plus I wanted to run trains of about 2 or 3 wagons at a time.

So I had a good think about what you suggested
Glen A wrote: ...
If you are just using it to store one train while you run another, then you might want to consider using two dead end sidings instead and just back the trains in/out when you want to swap trains. There is room on your board to get much longer storage sidings than you will get in that loop.
Just a thought...

Yes that would be how the layout worked.
It would be impossible to run two train at once due to the limited amount of mainline track, not to mention the unlikelihood of such heavy traffic on a line of this type and size anyway.

So today I had a bit of a fiddle with track layout options and decided on this arrangement. One because this is what track I had to work with and also I think that this would be my best option.
Oh and yes I will be extending the length of the middle siding a bit more, I just didn't have and straight track left at home.

Oh and finally that painting that I said I was going to do... Maybe next week. :lol:
Tess

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby NarrowGauge » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:21 am

I did some work on one of the building that will be on the layout
I needed to make some windows so I created a template on the computer and set to with some 1 and 2 mm strips of styrene

Here it is in place on the layout. Still needs a lot more work but it's giving me an idea of location and look.

Oh Here is a close up of the air conditioner. I downloaded various images from google and then simply cut and pasted together to form all sides. I even attached the controls, but no one will ever be able to see them as they are inside the building :lol:

Oh yes and still no sky painted. I keep putting that off. I must do it before I glue the buildings in place.
Tess

Return to “Modelling Matters”