A new layout for TMTEX 2012

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:07 am

G'day Tess
Love the way your layout is coming together.
Sorry about you scrapping the traverser (cos I do like them ) but glad that the track now doe's what you want it to do and you are happy with it.

If you wanted to show off the controls of the AC you could always have it swinging on the end of its cable and a red faced gent leaning out of the window trying to pull it back up. :shock:

How are you going for your exhibition dead-line ?
Will you have the layout ready (and the sky painted) before the show :?:

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things Narrow Gauge

Postby NarrowGauge » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:56 am

Adrian wrote:... If you wanted to show off the controls of the AC you could always have it swinging on the end of its cable and a red faced gent leaning out of the window trying to pull it back up. :shock:

Yes, I really like that idea.

On the subject of funny things. I went into town today to buy some new figures from the only toy shop in town.

When I went to pay for them the girl behind the counter politely asks "Do you collect them". To which I reply "oh no I'm going to cut them up" (made sense in my mind). The look of horror on her face... " I'm still getting a chuckle as I'm typing this now. Not sure if I'm gonna be able to go back there anytime soon.

Nearly forgot.
The Show isn't until the first weekend in June, so should be able to get it done in time.
Tess

You Can't Have Everything .... Where Would You Put It
http://trainsbytess.blogspot.com/

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:04 am

NarrowGauge wrote:Oh Here is a close up of the air conditioner ... I even attached the controls, but no one will ever be able to see them as they are inside the building
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's it, you have now reached the point of being a totally incurable railway modeler!
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby NarrowGauge » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:46 am

I've been trying to decide what building to place on the layout. I came across a picture in a Narrow Gauge Downunder magazine (Jan 2012) It was Lynn Zelmer's On30 Capricorn Sugar Rail Museum Layout.

I scanned it and scaled it up to 1:24 scale and printed it out spread over 5 pages.
It's only in black and white and I'll probably make it about 100mm thick but I think it will look okay.
Tess

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 modeler

Postby Bob Roegge » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:34 pm

Yes, yes, yes...........Will make a very nice backdrop for your layout.
Bob

lenelg
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge, logging

Postby lenelg » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:16 pm

I´m not sure the buildings will work together. The cane shed has an agricultural feel to it, something located out in the countryside where land is plentiful. The first building, on the other hand, looks like it belongs in a seriously cramped, urban industrial setting.
Lennart Elg

Larry
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 micro

Postby Larry » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:32 pm

lenelg wrote:I´m not sure the buildings will work together. The cane shed has an agricultural feel to it, something located out in the countryside where land is plentiful. The first building, on the other hand, looks like it belongs in a seriously cramped, urban industrial setting.

I think it works. Here is an urban industrial area near the Southern Pacific tracks in Portland Oregon from the 1950's( foreground)

If you go there now, there is even more diversity (an upscale restaurant district and High rise office complex replaced the ball park, but the rest is still there)

Brick, cinder block, metal, and wood all on the same block.

I love the stadium light standards in the background for even more diversity.

Larry
Last edited by Larry on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:21 am

G'day Tess

Like the corrugated iron building......looks real Aussie

However on the actual layout .... to my eyes at least ...... it looks a little 'squat'.
I would make it at least 50% taller......especially as the brick building is right next to it.
To me it looks like a distant building as if you were trying to use forced perspective.

Hope this doesn't send you into a tail spin .... its just my personal preference.......remember its your layout !

( goes back to hide in corner after sowing seed of doubt )

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

I might be daft but not stupid.

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby NarrowGauge » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:23 am

Hmmm yes more food for thought (oh yes and thank you Ardian for that seed or doubt)
I do agree with the comments so yes perhaps a make the sheds a little taller or even some how redesign the building to tie in with the other one a little better, rather than a completely separate ones.
Great photo from Larry will have to think about this some more.

I did how ever have a little play with making some corrugated iron.
I am very please with the results so far.

Tess

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:36 am

I agree with the others about making it bigger. I would make the whole thing about 5 to 10 % bigger (so the height of the small door on your new building is the same height as the single door on the brick building next to it). Then I would just make the two tower parts a fraction higher as well. And then I think it will fit in fine.

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:44 am

Nice iron - going to tell us how you did it?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Larry
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Larry » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:27 am

I took a couple snaps from Google Street view of the same street today, 60 years later. most of what was there is still there, with some changes and additions.
The trees get in the way, though, and the brick structure i completely hidden in the Bowels of the steel yard behind the cooling units on the roof. The tracks are still there and being used.

And here is where those tracks in the vintage picture lead…

looks like a good modeling scene to me. Not narrow gauge, but it could be. Now you can add wood clapboard to you siding choices. I wonder who will be first to model the electric cart.

This old industrial area of Portland is rapidly getting gentrified, and until your post i never realized how interesting it is. Actually, i spent a couple of hours "driving" the neighborhood on street view.
You can see the old tin sided places cheek by Jowl with million dollar condos, or Boutiques in WWII quonset huts. Every scene can have everything from mainline tracks to industrial spurs down the middle of the street to modern trolley lines. there really isn't an example of some weird combination you couldn't find.

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby NarrowGauge » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:46 am

Awesome pictures Larry. I love seeing a time line of a place in the history of its buildings. Things just added on and added on. They have real character and a story to tell. This is what attached me the Narrow Gauge in the first place.

As for the corrugated iron I can not claim this producer as my own the original idea for me came from another forum
(http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8490&whichpage=4)

It suggested ...

Downloading the flat rusty metal textures from the Mayang Site (http://www.mayang.com/textures/index.htm)
Printing them on some card stock.
Then cut them into 8 foot scale strips and crimping them with a fiskars crimper.

The textures I used are... "Rusty_Metal" and "Metal" see direct links below

http://www.mayang.com/textures/Metal/images/Flat%20Metal%20Textures/rusty_metal_9250023.JPG

http://www.mayang.com/textures/Metal/images/Flat%20Metal%20Textures/metal_011745.JPG

The images are way too large to post here and I don't own the copyright on them so I suggest you check out the site yourself. It has some great images.

Hope that helps you.
Tess

Larry
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Larry » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:03 am

I don't know how settled your track plan is, but I found another interesting scene in my "drive" around the industrial area.
the track on the far right is the main lead for the area and runs for a couple of miles before connecting with the BNSF main switching yard..Off of it are two leads that service the industries on either side of the street. One track heads to the industries on the left.

The interesting thing is how the track servicing the industries to the right swings out into the street, then crosses the other two tracks before diving into the green warehouse to the right (behind the red pickup truck).

and here's something that could be on either side of the pond, though you'd have to turn the cars around.

same red pickup.

Larry

NarrowGauge
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby NarrowGauge » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:21 am

So after a very long delay I'm back
The layout doesn't look so flash however :(
Hopefully some TLC will see it back on track

Tess