motor replacement, Magic Train

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

motor replacement, Magic Train

Postby Rockley Bottom » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi All
At the Dereham show a few weeks ago Smithies Yard had a loco motor burn out.
This was my fault! :oops: :oops: I fitted a DCC chip but did not shorten the unwanted wires. What happend was a loose wire got into the motor which let the motor and chip burn out. Kevin at Coastal DCC did the detective work. The smoke and the flames at the time looked impressive :shock:

The chassis is from the Magic Train diesel and the motor is the standard rectangular shaped one. I have a feeling that the motor may be Japanese,
Does any member have information onthis motor, or what motor will replace it.

Since the Magic Train (and I assume spares) departed the market, motor replacement could in the future be a general problem.

Any suggestions or links welcomed

Ralph

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:21 pm

I think I still have a white diesel Magic Train loco under the house. I will have a look later.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Rockley Bottom » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:12 am

Hi Ian

If you do come across the white diesel, it could be a great help if you could take some sizes from the motor.

I remember when the smoke and flames, ( only small ones :!: :!: :!: ) went up from the engine one of our team his name sounds like HANDLE said more :twisted: more :twisted: The carring box still smells of burn out motor :!:
Since the show, Kevin of Coastal DCC, has checked out all the stock with added chips and made sure that all wires are as short as possible and all DCC chips are secure to the motor. With electrics more complicated than a torch I call in the troops :!: That is why Barry had to spend many hours day and night wiring all the track and I think it is 15 points including a three way one. He also made two great control panels which are moveable around the layout, real works of art 8) 8)

Regards Ralph

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:59 am

I am assuming you want to give it a heart transplant. What dimensions do you need? Or would a couple of photos do?

EDIT - I took the loco to pieces and had a look at the motor by removing the stainless cover. There are no identifying marks at all on the motor. Everything is quite lightly made - plastic drive gears etc and very thin wires which indicates a low cost Chinese item to me. The folded up box the motor sits inside and is part of, is approx 10mm front to back and approx 17mm wide across the frame.
Ian Hodgkiss

The Steamy Pudding (in progress)

West of Worcester (in progress)

Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)

Brisbane, Australia

ian_g_griffiths
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railway modelling

Postby ian_g_griffiths » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:09 am

On Tracks appear to be a UK agent for Fleischmann spares,
http://www.ontracks.co.uk/index.php?page=home
maybe they could order a spare for you.

I have no connection to this supplier.

Ian

JAMO
'boxer
'boxer

Postby JAMO » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Hello,

the Magic-Train motor is too small to be reliable.

I replace it with a cheap but powerful Mashima (near £6) with a Jouef or Fobby worm gear.

I don't use DCC system : no need. The KFS controller is better and KISS system for me.

:wink:

JAMO
'boxer
'boxer

Postby JAMO » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:14 am

Another idea used by a friend of mine : replace the Fleischmann tiny motor by a Faulhaber 2020B using the Fleischmann worm gear.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:25 am

This French dealer has a good selection of motors http://www.letrainmagique.com/Tarif_mashima.htm

The one titled MA-JOUEF in the link should fit. Some people use Faulhaber 1717 for replacement.

Have Fun

Juergen

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Rockley Bottom » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks everybody for all the help you have given me over this problem. They give me some useful links regarding replacement motors I can use. I will post progress as and when.

Ralph

Return to “Modelling Matters”