The birth of ELIXER

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

SteampunkDave
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Steampunk, Victorian era, blimps, Gn15, scenery

The birth of ELIXER

Postby SteampunkDave » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:38 am

Well I have finally jumped in and joined the best modelling site :lol:

My name is Dave and probably my ID gives a clue to my interests. Though I don't wear brass goggles my builder mates think me a touch different. I like fantasy modelling and though happy with creating scenery I know nothing about laying track and other rail matters so I apologise in advance for my future daft questions. However learning is by doing so I have made a start.

I took delivery of 6 Ikea Billy bookcases the other day for a park home I am renovating. When I spied the protective polystyrene packing strips inside I saw my baseboard and have proceeded to make a composite rectangle roughly 38 inches by 21 inches or 970mm by 540mm. This is reinforced with kebab skewers pushed in at different angles.
My layout will be called ELIXER and I promise it will be different.

Best Wishes
Dave
Dave

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:58 am

Dave,

Looking forward to it.

Have you looked at this marvellous layout?

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=2849

Meantimes - welcome to the Gnatterbox.

cheers

SteampunkDave
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby SteampunkDave » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome Chris. Yes I love this layout, but then again I am in awe at the high standard of modelling on this site.
I particularly love automata and my design idea will hopefully include this.
I have opened a flickr account so I can post pics as and when.

Dave
Dave

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:44 pm

Welcome aboard - A steampunk layout with automata sounds great, looking forward to seeing some piccys :D
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:46 pm

G'day Dave,

Welcome to the group. Sounds as though you should fit in well.

A steampunk layout with automata ..... just my sort of layout :D :D :D
Should be more of it.

When I spied the protective polystyrene packing strips inside I saw my baseboard ............. This is reinforced with kebab skewers pushed in at different angles.
I trust that you are going to put some form of surround or frame on your base-board ? The idea of the foundations of a work of art being held together with skewers is a bit worrying to say the least. Never build on soft and shifting sands and all that.
Personally the baseboard is the bit of modelling I like the least ..... but I still try and make sure that it will not move when loaded with track and scenery.

Looking forward to seeing some of your models in the future.
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

SteampunkDave
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby SteampunkDave » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:26 am

Hi Adrian,
Thanks for the welcome and your baseboard concerns :) I glossed over my board construction in my introduction. Just took it for granted. I was describing just my top substrate which I will eventually attack with gouges and such ilk. It will sit in an engineered plywood box. If my concept works I hope to mate it with similar modules. Hopefully each one will tell its own tale but when together who knows? :x

The story of ELIXER to follow shortly.
Dave

SteampunkDave
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby SteampunkDave » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:45 am

The story so far. Subject to change and I take no responsibility for what follows. :?

Madly eccentric alchemist and part-time soul searcher Sir Titus Rust has by chance conjured up a bubbling, tasty and addictive beverage with fantastic side effects. Alright it looks good, tastes good and by golly does you good (seem to have heard that somewhere else :o ) but it actually does do you good!. Lady Gertrude Rust can testify to that.

Excitedly Sir Titus forms the Elixer of Life manufacturing company. Unfortunately he employs the dastardly but portly steam barge Captain Figius Plank to transport in a vital raw material. Unknown to him Plank works for Baron Von Winkler anarchist, rival and industrial spy. Airship Captain Morgan Napier-Smithe brave, fearless and a nice chap saves the day.
Phew - what a building commitment

Main characters.

Sir Titus Rust - Elixer of Life Owner
Lady Gertrude Rust - Wife and drinker
Silus and Tiger Rust - Competing sons
Baron Von Winkler - Anarchist and spy
Captain Figius Plank - Steam barge captain
Factory manager - Percival Wotcher
Winker Smith - Building turner (thats a clue!)
Morgan Napier-Smithe - Airship Captain
Bill Cotton - Hansom steam cab driver
Busty Sal - Elixer Arms landlady
Stan and Cyril - top class shunting drivers and the real heros!

Dave
Dave

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:05 am

SteampunkDave wrote:Elixer of Life Owner

Dave,

Don't hate me too much but I think you mean

elixir

throughout all this.

Love the story.

cheers

SteampunkDave
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby SteampunkDave » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:24 am

Ha ha Chris. You are quite right sir. ....However due to advertising and potential legal challenges Sir Titus Rust's brew doesn't give everlasting life but does makes Lady Gertrude look younger! As Sir Titus says "every little helps"! Alas thats my story and I'm sticking to it. :D :D

Cheers
Dave

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:07 am

SteampunkDave wrote:However due to advertising and potential legal challenges Sir Titus Rust's brew doesn't give everlasting life but does makes Lady Gertrude look younger!

Good! I had hoped that the spelling was deliberate - everything else seemed so clearly thought through.

You have set yourself a bit of a challenge though, haven't you? Looking forward to seeing it all develop.

bestest

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 am

Which maker offers Steam Punk figures in 1 : 22,5 - 1 : 24? I would like to have a portrait figure of Austrian Baron von Winkler.

Have Fun

Juergen

SteampunkDave
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby SteampunkDave » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:47 am

Hi KEG,

Does the Austrian (of course) Baron exist? I made the name up :o
I haven't a clue about figures but I do like some of yours!
Dave

SteampunkDave
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby SteampunkDave » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:19 pm

Elixer concept.

Not working today can't you all tell.

Hopes (means I haven't a clue yet :wink: )

1) moving Steam Barge up the canal - rear
2) moving Airship- rear
3) steam Hansom Cab runing from outside the factory gate up to the Elixer Arms - front. Ornate fence.
4) moving Elixer Towers styled on Casa Battlo. I have a weakness for Art Nouveau buildings.
5) transfer of raw materials into production facility, manufacture and transfer out for consumption. Switching activity. Grimy buildings
6) Elixer Arms - possible mover. Fancy dress night. Lady Gertrude will be there of course.
7) Smoke machine. - I do like fog!

Atmosphere.

Victorian soot and grime. fog, cobbled street, gas lights, anarchists and spies and others, dark alleys, horse muck, river scenes, ornate bridges, good brews.

What all in a small area :shock:

I do have a plan in my head which I will draw and show later.
Dave

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:02 pm

This all sounds very interesting so I hope it all comes to fruition.

Above my layout The Steamy Pudding (with a nod to Steam Punk) I was thinking of having a Led Zeppelin hovering so that I could use it as a beacon at shows!

Do like the idea of fog but watch that it doesn't create too much sticky residue from the vapours. If you ever exhibit this, be careful that the fog machine doesn't set off the smoke alarms!

Having lots of moving and therefore entertaining bits and pieces is definitely interesting. I hope the airship will be steam powered?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:37 am

G'day Dave

Glad to hear that you are using a 'real' baseboard.

Love both the story and the ideas that you have for your layout. ( You realise that a steam powered hansom cab has actually been described in this forum before ?)

Like the idea of an airship ..... always wanted to do that myself ........ did you see 'The Great Race' ? ...... Professor Fate's pedal powered flying device should provide inspiration enough. :D

Regarding the 'smoke' .... I was once next to a layout that depicted a steel mill .... it had a HUGH smoke machine ..... didn't set off any smoke detectors but kept the surrounding exhibitors coughing and spluttering all week-end long (and it was a 4 day week-end).
Might I suggest that you try one of those 'foggers' now available for water features ? ..... they don't produce smoke but a fine water mist .....doesn't rise - just clings to the surface .... just make sure there is nothing that can be damaged by water in close proximity..... :oops: ......... (I have some that I bought on ebay for a future layout)

Looking forward to your first pictures.
Adrian Hoad

SteampunkDave
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby SteampunkDave » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:49 am

Ian, many thanks. Led Zep now we are talking. I love the name "The Steamy Pudding"

Adrian, No I wasn't aware of a steam powered hansom cab on this site. Must search that out.

Fog. Good points here. I had not considered smoke alarms. I was actually thinking of the smoke tubes found in smoking toys eg robots. Perhaps it would be better to have a mist hovering over the canal. I see my backboard showing a foggy (with blurred gas lamps) scene. Probably black and white but possibly sepia.

I have already figured out a couple of ideas for a moving airship. The moving boat is more simple if I keep the canal to the rear of the layout.
I come from the Heath Robinson school of design :)
Dave

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:53 am

Dave,

It's sounds as if you are leading us down a line to adventure!

Welcome to the Gnut Hatch.

Tomo

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:18 am

You asked for a supply of Steam Punk figures. Preiser of course does the two punk people but they also do period costume figures which can be modified to easily recreate the Baron and all the other players in this piece of theatre.

Anyway - for fun - have a look at these
http://www.ironcladminiatures.co.uk/sho ... =cid%3D%26
Ian Hodgkiss

The Steamy Pudding (in progress)

West of Worcester (in progress)

Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)

Brisbane, Australia

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:48 am

Suppose it is time for a few pictures in this thread. The hamster would love to come around with his Prussian steam driven aeroplane, but I am afraid, there is no space to land on that tiny baseboard.

Our steam driven miniature helicopter might have a chance to come down savely.

Have Fun

Juergen

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:53 am

Adrian Hoad

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:35 am

Have a look at Gerry Snelsons 30 x 44 inch Dickensville.
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=7240

A true piece of Art.

Have Fun

Juergen

SteampunkDave
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby SteampunkDave » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:06 am

Hi Juergen,

Well I really feel welcome now that the hamster is interested. I love your models and sense of fun. I am aware of Dickensville and admire it greatly.
It was seeing the high standards displayed by everybody on GnATTERbox that pushed me to join. Re figures I have my eye on the.

Hi Adrian and Ian,
I know about the Preiser Vamps which I thought might be good for converting. However I hope my secret supplier may be the hamster :D
Dave

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:16 am

The hamster is not too much interested in Steampunk. He prefers books like this: http://www.amazon.com/Eccentrics-David-Weeks/dp/0394565657 or recently : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_of_Dreaming_Books

He seems to have some knowledge of arts, fashion, style, history etc. but loves to look at good modelling. He asked me to wake him up, if someone actually manages to build a factory with a Gn15 railroad and an airship plus a steam barge in a space of roughly a half square meter.

In real life that´s about 15 x 25 Meters, about the seize of the lawn in my backyard. Baron von Winkel prefers to come by bicyle or parachute, if he happens to visit the hamster.

Have Fun

Juergen

SteampunkDave
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby SteampunkDave » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:38 pm

to quote ADRIAN,- Like the idea of an airship ..... always wanted to do that myself ........ did you see 'The Great Race' ? ...... Professor Fate's pedal powered flying device should provide inspiration enough

Yep thats spot on Adrian. I have a McDonald figure on a bike which is my basis for the Morgan Napier-Smithe's airship. I think that can land on a back lawn ok! :D

[/quote]
Dave

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:05 pm

Does the MacDonald bloke look like this?

Over here his name is Gottfried and he works for the 7 / 8th fraternity.
I am sure, he´d love to pedal on a flying machine.

Have Fun

Juergen

Return to “Modelling Matters”