Ville des Anglais-a new layout for 2012

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: modelling in card

Ville des Anglais-a new layout for 2012

Postby Geeky Gecko » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:02 pm

The start of a new layout. The board is part of a table top 700mm x 400mm.
It will be in the spirit of Carl Arendt's Micro/Small Layouts and will be a tramway set in the streets of a small French town.
I intend it to run hand's free as a shuttle.
The points used are Jouef/Playcraft 325mm radius but the tightest radius will be about 150mm. These are sprung, allowing traffic to pass through with them set against it. I have removed the control levers and replaced them with my own. These won't normally be used and will be hidden beneath the road surface, but can be accessed when needed from the sides.
The missing sections have been removed as they were steel, and will be replaced with rail removed from some old second hand Fleischman track a colleague found at a car boot sale.
Stefan

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Sounds like a plan.

I never have understood the logic behind mixing metals in one electrically live assembly.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Geeky Gecko » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Just realised I haven't posted anything for a while. I've completed the track laying, or at least the rails. They are soldered to pins pushed into the board. I've included gaps in the rails for isolation purposes, and soldered wires to each section. These are joined together for testing purposes. I've inlayed card around the rails of one the points in an attempt to portray a sectional track system. I'm still undecided whether or not to do the entire track in a similar fashion, or to lay cobbles between guide rails. I've temporarily laid some of the cobbles I intend to use for the roadway .

Stefan

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Postby mad gerald » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:39 am

Nice idea for a track plan, Stefan ...

Geeky Gecko wrote: ... I've completed the track laying, or at least the rails. They are soldered to pins pushed into the board.

... just curious about the order in your technique: do you first drill the holes, put the pins (brass?) in and solder the rails to the heads of the pins ... or the other way round: first solder the pins to the bottom of the rails ... and so on ..?

Kind regards

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Geeky Gecko » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Gerald, the pins I have used are 15mm long with heads 3.5 mm diameter. I drilled a hole that is a tight fit for the pin, inserted the pin and then soldered the rail to the head of the pin. The height of the rail can be adjusted slightly by pushing the pin in or pulling it out. This is the first time I have tried this.
Stefan

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Postby mad gerald » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:19 am

Geeky Gecko wrote:Gerald, the pins I have used are 15mm long with heads 3.5 mm diameter. I drilled a hole that is a tight fit for the pin, inserted the pin and then soldered the rail to the head of the pin. The height of the rail can be adjusted slightly by pushing the pin in or pulling it out. This is the first time I have tried this.

... I think this is way cool 8) ... and using this method you get rid of the plastic sleepers as well ...

Geeky Gecko wrote: I have removed the control levers and replaced them with my own. These won't normally be used and will be hidden beneath the road surface, but can be accessed when needed from the sides.

... the control levers you removed where mechanical or electronical ones?

Cheers

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Geeky Gecko » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:57 pm

Gerald, the control levers were mechanical as here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-Joue ... 500wt_1202
Stefan

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Geeky Gecko » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:34 am

Not posted anything for ages-sorry.
Here's a few building frontages.
None of them have windows fitted yet even though some of the shutters open. These are all upper floors that will fit together to form a single structure.
The following pictures show two balconies. I envisage it being cast iron with wrought-iron railings.

Stefan

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:32 pm

You need to explain more about the thought processes behind the balcony. The end result looks stunning but I am a bit lost on the how it happened!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Geeky Gecko » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:24 pm

I seem to have lost the intermediate pictures, Ian.
I'll see if I can explain.
With reference to the picture above:
1. Reinforce the semicircle A with a strip of card on both sides (I used the embossed strip which forms the fold on a cereal packet-this is roughly semicircular in cross section)
2. Cut along the semicircle B
3. Make the required cuts to form a series of flag shapes C
4. Lift these in turn and glue to the adjacent one overlapping so that the gaps are regular and the strips are parallel (try not to crease the strips at the bottom-form a gentle curve)
5. When dry glue another strip on each side at the top of the uprights to form the top rail
6. Cut the overlapping flaps off as close to the strips as possible
7. Cover the top rail in pva and before it sets too hard bend the top of uprights into a gentle curve outwards at the same time as bending the top rail into a semi circle similar to the bottom rail. This needs to be done gradually and gently

Hope that explains things.
Stefan

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Stefan,

This is wonderful modelling and the balcony railings are an impressive work of art, especially as they are made from stryrene sheet (plasticard).

Thank you for sharing the method of construction. I look forward to the finished building and layout. Please keep us posted.

Kind regards
Mark

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:46 pm

Geez! I'm blown away by that balcony. It looks so real.
Its hard to believe its made from cardboard.
Well done! 8)

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Ignoring the how Stefan, as I doubt I'll ever Gneed to know, the balcony is a superb piece of modelling.
Look forward to seeing it in situ. 8)
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Return to “Modelling Matters”