My first STEAMER

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

My first STEAMER

Postby chris69 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:40 pm

Hi tried my first steamer.Had an old Rivarossi 0-4-0 with a nice side rod arrangement that just asked to be used.Since I need a lager Loco for my roster
I decided to try a fire less stem engine.I just fell in love with their bulky appearance.Unfortunately the Rivarossi Chassis has the engine hanging out at the cab end something fierce,I was not able to put the pistons where they belong in the cab area.But it's Gnatter stuff,so it will do.The Boiler/Steam tank is a coupling from some 2" Water Pipe.Also figured out how to make the Rubber Gaskets for the windows,I am using thin Solder Tin.I bent them already but have not installed them.Well here are the first pictures.
Love to hear your opinion or some tips.

Have a great weekend
Chris :roll: :oops: :oops: :lol: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:17 am

Ahh yes, recognize that mechanism :D

Hmm . . . from fireless locos I've seen that boiler might want to be a hair narrower depending on how thick you are calling the insulation.

From what I've read the boiler was commonly filled with a mixture of super hot water and steam and as steam was consumed more would evaporate out of the water: remember how heavy water is; and, what kind of container one needs to take the pressure.

This might offer a good example for mechanism to boiler proportions http://evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=1417 even though it is standard gauge.

Then again, there is this beast http://www.steamlocomotive.com/nc-ga/ncr.jpg
Last edited by Willow Creek Traction on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:19 am

Chris,

I like your fireless design and I wouldn't worry about where things should go - the real world has many stranger examples than some of our own imaginations. It's your design - put things where you want to ! :) The motor can simply be hidden by a cover, oil can or a driver/engineer's feet.

The Rivarossi motion is a real joy and I'm pleased it's been re-cycled. How you approach the window surrounds sounds innovative. Please keep us all up-dated with your progress and good luck with the build. :D
Kind regards,
Mark

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:28 am

Like the loco.

Like the brick wall as well!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:58 am

Hey Chris, I love it mate 8) the way the cab hangs lowdown is an interesting detail. I think the size of the boiler thingy looks fine to me :wink:
Look forward to seeing you cracking on with it :D
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Boilers and such

Postby chris69 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:09 am

Hi,
thanks for all your comments and encouragement.The reason for the boiler size is 2fold.One,the pipe came that way;two I wanted a bulky appearance like the Bunker Locos,that also is the reason for the low Cab and the fact that I wanted a fully enclosed cab for a crew standing up.(and may be the full interior)
I am fully aware that I am in the field of compromise.But as I said it's GNATTERING a lot and like so many of my other locos a jumble of stuff I see and like.As long as it looks plausible I'm OK with it.
As to the solder tin window seals,that's really easy.Get the thin stuff for electronic soldering,it comes in a tube spooled up.Then take the round piece of plastic that was cut out for the window and wrap it around to get the required length.Now one needs to fiddle a bit and trim it to the real length of the opening.Since it is really playable it is easy to fit in the opening and once fit glued down with CA.Once one cuts the clear it can be glued to the GASKET from the inside.I generally use clear Humbrol paint and when dry secure it with a VERY small bit of CA at an inconspicuous place.
I am also attaching a tube finish to the door opening.Same way just bigger diameter solder.
Will add some pictures on all this later.
Oh,just came across an other Fleischman steamer Chassis.On this one I really would need some of your ideas or do some serious cutting.But more later.
Have a good night/morning/day you all
Chris :roll: :roll: :oops: 8)

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Jumping of the topic a bit

Postby chris69 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi,
here is the other one I was taking about:

As you can see,it has the big GAP in front of the drivers,but is a great slow runner.
And here is what I am going after. To an extend.......

Now nothing is cast in stone.Just kicking this around at the time while I am busy with the other one.If any one of you has any suggestions,DON"T BE SHY.
Have a great one

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:19 am

Looks like it would be said to be from France or Belgium; they used browns according to photos seen. Something about cab proportions adds to that.

Just for grins, here's what's being done with that Rivarossi/AHM/IHC B&O Docksider mechanism here. This one has different motor that RR original which has been lost along the way during last 4 decades.
Lots more to do to this; and it has lain dormant for a couple years. Guess that needs to be changed, eh :lol: Harold there isn't its driver, he's posing for scale reference.

later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:35 am

G'day Chris

Looking at the new chassis I noticed that the lowest part was over the front wheels ----- Have you thought of building a 'cab-forward' type loco (for short tunnel work :?: )

The motor would be hidden by the boiler and the cab could be fully detailed with no 'foreign' bits in it :!:

To avoid problems with the bunker you could make it oil fired.

By the way I like your fire-less loco ---- the build looks good and I am looking forward to see how it looks with a coat of paint on it.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:42 am

Or, keeping with the fireless theme, how about one with cab over cylinders like yellow one here
http://nrlym.webs.com/firelesssteamlocomotive.htm
or
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~telica/E ... _1968.html
Now that sure is an interesting beast
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... motive.jpg
Hey, now here's a paint job for ya!
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/foxfield/fireless_no_1.htm

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:32 am

Hi Chris,
Porter in the US made several fireless locos with the cylinders at the front, just add a discharge pipe to the front of the cylinders up the front of the receiver vessel. Don't forget to add a charge point somewhere. It can be as simple as a pipe with a globe valve and a flange to mate with the steam supply pipe from the boiler house
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Moving along.

Postby chris69 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 am

Hi,
thanks for all your input,found some great details this way.
Here is an update on the progress.

The bell came from a Marklin 1:32 engine,the discharge pipes from an excavator model that was butchered for parts some time ago.The roof(not fixed) is cardboard drenched in CA. Oh the head lite is from an LGB engine.
No work done jet on the chassis etc.Still figuring out what kind of coupler and buffer plate will be used

All the best

Voyager
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Staffordshire (but the other end of the County from Gnosall!), UK

Postby Voyager » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:04 am

Chris,

It has certainly got the look and character of a fireless - super model.

Incidentally (and I know that this is really one for Prototype Prattles), does anyone know whether there were ever any 15" / 400mm fireless locos? I certainly know of some 2' examples, but don't think I've come across anything smaller, although perhaps Woolwich had some 18" ones? Certainly the sort of place which might have needed them.
Regards to all,

Voyager

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:21 am

I can see something in 50m gauge being likely as it was a common industrial gauge in Europe especially France, I suppose 18in is also likely.
It comes down to what gauges were most common in industry, and viability of any company to invest.
Is there a stability issue with respect to fireless locos on narrow gauge.
Although I prefer the quirky appearance of fireless locos with the cylinders the under the cab, there are real examples with the cylinders at the front end.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

rockershovel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge industrial railways

Postby rockershovel » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:50 pm

fireless locos would typically have an exhaust diffuser rather than a "chimney" in the conventional position
rambling miner

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

A step on ....

Postby chris69 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:58 am

Hi,
thanks for all your input.Learning quite a bit.
but I did take quite a few liberties,just because I wanted to have a certain look
or just because I like a certain feature.I am definitely NOT ! a rivet counter.(never was)
Now here are some more pictures of my progress. I started with the basic paint and some weathering(not finished) I want a really used and almost neglected look.
Also the chassis and the buffer plates/couplers are not even started.
Enjoy the pictures:

Greetings
Chris :roll: :roll: :oops: :lol: 8)

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:11 am

Hey Chris, what a fantastic critter! I love its monster proportions that exude a gritty industrial forcefulness.

Freelance modelling is so liberating and just plain fun, it just requires an artistic or simply a plain old Gnutters imagination :twisted: :wink:

The weathering is coming on a treat, also think about dirt streaks, bare steel surfaces too. No such thing as too much :twisted: Keep it coming friend :D
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:18 am

A superb model Chris 8) however I think the weathering (great) on the steam reservoir might just come in for a closer inspection by the H&S guys. :twisted: :lol:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

lenelg
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge, logging

Postby lenelg » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Looks great! Now fill the steam tank with lead shot until you get the center of gravity at scale height (for a filled tank, no cheating..) and try to keep the little bugger balanced on the track..
Lennart Elg

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Nice example of your building and painting skills!

MrPlantpot
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I likes anyfink wiv wheels, I duz. At the moment I am building a Narrow Gauge Layout, 1/32 scale on 16.5mm (0n16.5) track.

Postby MrPlantpot » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Lovely loco, Chris... I think it's what the custom car fraternity would describe as 'Phat'....
Reminds me a little of a cartoon drawing I saw of a hippo in a tutu and ballet shoes :D
My Mum calls me Steve.
1:32 on 16·5mm track. Gnot strictly minimum gauge... but it is the minimum that I'm working with !
And now... a critter in 1/24th... from scratch!

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:29 am

G'day Chris

It really looks like it is loved but also taken for granted.

Taking Lennart's thoughts one step further, instead of lead shot use mercury.
Should make for interesting gyrations during sudden starts and stops.
(And would also give H & S really something to get upset about !)

Keep up the good work
Adrian Hoad

I might be daft but not stupid.

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Aother step forward

Postby chris69 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:12 am

Hi guys,
thanks for all your great comments and ideas.
Got a bit further.I attached the front Buffer Plate and the mounting plate for the rear buffer.Now I am looking fora pair of European/German center buffer couplers.Either built them myself or have to order them from the OLD COUNTRY.....
The only other ting left to do is the window glazing,the curtains and the number plates,more on this later.
For now here are some pictures

Well,I'll be off the radar for a while have to go to Wyoming on a project and will be out of the modeling screen for a while.

Looking forward to the next round of comments
Greetings
Chris :roll: :roll: :oops: :lol:

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 modeler

Postby Bob Roegge » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:21 pm

That is an ugly chunk of critter............looks absolutely great. I think you have achieved the weathered and worn effect that you were striving for.
Bob

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

The "FAT" one gets some friends....

Postby chris69 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:13 am

Happy Weekend,
well I did a bit more modeling and built a few cars for my steamer.Here are
a few pictures of the whole train:

OK just realized I need to do some more "aging" on the front buffer plate

The ore car is scaled up from a paper pdf I got from a fiend in Germany.
Anyone interested in the paper kit ,send me a note and I will e mail it to you.

Built it out of card stock with a wood center and On30 trucks

this is a picture of the original

This one was built on a Fleischmann Magic Train chassis.Balsa wood floor and sides colored with aging fluid and chalk.

This one is on a regular HO chassis with coffee stir stick frame and balsa floor.Also Chalk pigment color.

My first box car.HO chassis,cardboard frame as sides clad with coffee stir sticks and colored again with pigment.

Well, I will built 3 more cars,one as a box car on an other Fleischmann Magic Train Chassis.The other 2 are one 4 axle box car and one 4 axle open gondola.These are kits from Germany,just waiting for the4 axle boogies that match the cars.
The loco and cars a bigger then my other stuff ,ergo once I get back to building a layout it will have to be in a way that can (sort of) logically support both.I have tried my luck twice in the layout department and both times built myself in to a corner.Next time I will not get close to any scenery until the track is down and everything running without any flaws.

Well enjoy and let me know what you think.
Greetings
Chris :roll: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Return to “Modelling Matters”