Source of 13mm dia metal wheels on HO axles 25mm long?

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

dudley
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow gauge modeller

Source of 13mm dia metal wheels on HO axles 25mm long?

Postby dudley » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:40 pm

I'm after drop-in metal wheels for some Fleischmann Magic Train stock (oops sorry - do you allow such items to be mentioned here? ) :wink:
Standard 00 wheels have 26mm axles and these are too long for my requirements whereas continental HO stock has 25mm axles but I can't source any wheels despite searches on Fleabay etc. Dia needs to be around 13mm. There's a company making straight drop-in replacements in Germany but they're 7.90 Euros per axle!
Any thoughts/ advice/ traders I haven't come across please?

Regards,
Dudley
Kind regards,
Dudley

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Postby backwaterscotland » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:46 pm

Intercity models in Cornwall do a range of "superoller" wheels with 24.5 and 25mm axles including a 13mm wheel. Prices are around £1 per axle.

I've used them in the past for rewheeling Lima 00-gauge stock.

http://www.intercitymodels.com/Superollers.html

Andy 8)

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:36 pm

I know the Peco wheels can be used on Lima wagons and coaches, as they have a slightly shorter axle, so maybe they would fit Fleischmann. Just an idea. When I was running shop, I had one customer who bought loads to replace their Lima wheels. Only thing is not too sure if they are metal or plastic.

Can't find them listed now, but they still do the axles.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:33 pm

I am about to reduce my Magic Train wagons to a bare chassis and add tram bodies to them to be pulled by my new Smallbrook Katie interpretation. I find the wheels really good for rolling along my layout quietly which is more than can be said for the Bachmann 0n30 bogies I have for the longer carriages! Because the wheels are coarse 1:45 scale the flanges look less ridiculous than using 00 wheels which is why I am querying why you would want to change them because the chassis is huge so the wheels need to be in proportion?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:36 am

Try North Yard, axle length is/was an option.
Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

MrPlantpot
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I likes anyfink wiv wheels, I duz. At the moment I am building a Narrow Gauge Layout, 1/32 scale on 16.5mm (0n16.5) track.

Postby MrPlantpot » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:45 am

Um... I've just measured the Hornby axles I'm using for my Pseudeutz critter... and they're 25.6mm point to point. Now my brain hurts :?
My Mum calls me Steve.
1:32 on 16·5mm track. Gnot strictly minimum gauge... but it is the minimum that I'm working with !
And now... a critter in 1/24th... from scratch!

dudley
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow gauge modeller

FMT wheels

Postby dudley » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:34 am

Thanks to all for your various replies and to answer some of your queries:

The Super Rollers look to be just what I'm after and at a fairer price than can be had from Europe. Obviously a trial pair need to be assessed as to suitability of the 'finescale profile'.

Not sure re the Peco wheels though would assume they're plastic as that is their chosen tendency in other products.

I want metal wheels as they keep the track cleaner and I also want the clickety-clack audio. I have no experience of Bachmann On-30 wheelsets and don't mind what the flanges look like as long as the wheels do what they're supposed to do.

On Alan Gibson's wheel manufacturing website he writes that the standard length adopted by Bachmann/Hornby etc for OO is 26mm. Knowing how much the so-called standardised NEM coupling boxes vary it doesn't surprise me that axle lengths vary too.
Kind regards,

Dudley

Return to “Modelling Matters”