MacFeegles Distillery

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Postby backwaterscotland » Sun May 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Sometimes it's little details that please :

The gate is mostly plasticard with a couple of small pieces of plastic section and a short length of brass rod for the "bolt"

Still to be painted and I have built the matching double gate that goes across the road as well.

Andy 8)

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Mon May 14, 2012 1:39 am

G'day Andy
Sometimes it's little details that please
You are soooo right :D :D :D

There is nothing wrong with the rest of the layout, in fact I think that its really rather beautiful but that little gate looks really fantastic :D
(For my information does the bolt actually work ?
It looks as though it might)

Thanks for sharing
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby backwaterscotland » Mon May 14, 2012 6:29 am

Adrian wrote:For my information does the bolt actually work ?

Yes it does although the hinges don't! There is a possible plan to extend the layout through this gate so I've rigged it so that I can unstick the hinges, slide the bolt back and glue the hinges in the open position. The main double gate will be fixed but has similar bolts going down into the road surface and between the gates.

Bolt mechanism is simple. A flat piece of (10 thou) plasticard strip for the base, a piece of 100 thou square section drilled with a 1.5mm hole down the middle for the barrel and latch, a piece of angle for the stop and a bent length of brass rod for the bolt.

Andy 8)

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Tue May 15, 2012 12:08 am

G'day Andy
Yes it does
Suitably impressed :D

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon May 21, 2012 8:56 am

Nice little details Andy, the layout is progressing well.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby backwaterscotland » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:41 pm

Although I've been a little quiet on forum, I have been busy modelling. The small building has had the slates installed, lead ridges attached and guttering installed.

The gates have been painted, static grass applied, roadway surfaced and a start has been made on the corrugated roof on the main building

Still to be done are the detailing on the doors, windows for the main building, control panel wiring and then the small details can start to be added.

One detail that I will be adding is some flowers which my wonderful wife has built from kits by "The Miniature Garden" (http://theminiaturegarden.blogspot.co.uk/) - some daisies and dandelions can be seen here, there are also some daffodils in pots to be done.

Progress is somewhere near where I need to be since it's first public appearance should be at Perth model railway show in two weeks time :shock:

Andy 8)

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Its looking really good Andy.
I really like the job you have done with the slate roof.
It looks very smart.

A'm I'm looking forward to seeing those flowers go in.

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:09 am

G'day Andy

I like the way that your layout is progressing.

Its inspiring me to get back to doing some 'modelling' again.
(Too much time spent on electronics recently)

The flowers look really great.....but are you going to add some bees buzzing around them ?

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:45 am

Coming along well Andy the flowers will really add to the scene.
As for bees the odd tea leaf (suitably sized) on a bloom can be identified as a bee. :wink:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby backwaterscotland » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:46 pm

As the layouts first appearance draws close, I've gone into overdrive a bit to get things finished.

Signage and windows are now in place (although the windows aren't glazed yet). This completes the the main work and everything from here on is detailing.

View from the small gate :

View from the main gate :

Overall layout view :

One thing that doesn't get shown much is the wiring. Here is my neat-ish attempt along with the control systems :

With only 2 points and a small layout, the 1 amp psu with the combi should be more than enough to power the track and point motors (via a CDU).

The power wiring is temporary for just now until I decide which connectors to use to attach the 12v dc and 16v ac supplies to the layout.

Andy 8)

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:21 pm

Looking good. Interesting approach to the gate for future expansion.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:13 am

G'day Andy
Really like the way the layout has progressed.
It looks great.
I would be proud to call it mine.

Regarding the electrics perhaps I can offer a couple of words of advice ?
1) The wires under the layout....
You could use some of those binder combs hot glued to the base to hold the wires and stop them 'flapping' about.
They are cheap and the wires can be 'clipped' in and out very easily even after the combs are fixed in place.
They would make your 'neatish' wiring even neater.
http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/2709912 ... eItemTypes

2) for connecting 'control panels' to the layout I use 'D' connectors
http://www.maplin.co.uk/d-sub-connectors-1113
These are available from 9 to 50 ways and are available from electronic shops in a large number of styles.
With the more popular sizes there are even pre-made connecting cables available.
Although they do tend to look a little on the delicate side the technical specs say that they can handle up to 5 amps per contact.

3) If you want to just get large amounts of power onto the layout you could use microphone connectors.
These are available from 2 to 8 way versions and can handle up to 10 amps on each contact.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/audio-locking-c ... socket-997

Hope that this is of some help in your selection of suitable connectors.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby backwaterscotland » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks for the suggestions Adrian.

I hadn't thought of comb binders, I've just used cable staples (basically a round staple used in a staple gun) to create the runs under the layout.

I decided for control panel to hard wire it rather than using a plug and socket as it would be less things to go wrong. The cable comes through the baseboard in the back corner and when being transported the control panel is velcro-ed inside the main building. I've used 25-way D-types in the past for club layouts and always find soldering them a bit of a pain :x

Power connectors isn't so much find ones to suit as deciding which ones in my bits box will do - I'm an electrical/audio engineer so I tend to have these things lying around (if I can find them!)

cheers

Andy 8)

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:42 am

Really like the way this has come together Andy, almost looks like a blank canvas now, waiting for you to put your mark on it with all the detailing.
As it stands it is perfectly acceptable to take to a show and any more you do before it's first public appearance will be a bonus, so take your time, there's no rush :wink:

As for taking power to the layout, the system I use is simple 5 pin DIN plugs and sockets. I keep the power supply seperate and it sits on the floor below.
The handheld controller plugs into this with a 5 pin plug, then a seperate lead carries both controlled 12v and the 16v to the layout. 12v to the left pins, 16v on the right with the centre one left blank. Have used this system for 20 years and it has never let me down. The same power supply can then be used for whichever layout I'm using. I do usually have a back up too and if needed, it's quick to unplug the controller and layout lead and plug the spare in. All wiring to the layout stays self contained and just needs that single plug to get it going.
Hope that all makes sense :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby backwaterscotland » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Ok, only a couple of days to go so panic beginning to set in :shock:

Electrical connectors - I eventually went with some 4mm banana plugs to get the power onto the layout.

Flowers have been planted - the 30 flowers made haven't gone very far really! I've also added some long grass to the disused track.

Now need to pack the layout up ready to go. The plan is that most of the details are transported separate to the layout and can be added as I feel for each show.

Andy 8)

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Guess I should have warned you that the flowers will get lost in an area that size, just pretend the mower has been over the rest recently :wink:
Hope all goes well at the weekend.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:13 pm

Those flowers and the grass in the track look really great!

I think it will look fine once you get a few trains moving around (even better if you have people and cars to add too). it takes time to put in all the extra little details, and this is only the first showing.

Good luck for the show!

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:57 pm

Have a great Show Andy I'm sure the layout will be well received. I've still have another two weeks before Gneiss Cider debuts.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby backwaterscotland » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Perth show has now come and gone. The layout was very well received with a lot of positive comments and a lot of people stopping to watch, often after glancing, doing a double take and then being fascinated. One gent even recognised the buildings as being based on Edradour.

The locos performed beautifully for the whole weekend and, apart from having to widen one flangeway slightly, the layout was faultless.

A wander around the show saw me coming back with some LED lights, a 7mm electrical cabinet which I thought might suit and an Aristocraft figure to see how they are.

I don't have any more planned appearances this year but you never know, I'll do some more of the detailing and then see what happens.

Andy 8)

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Looking really good.

Glad you had a good show. I am never going to be able to see it in the flesh being all the way down in Cornwall but your pictures are great.

Have you put the layout details online? I know from my time as a Exhibition Manager I was always looking out for new layouts and as yours is so good I'm sure you will get many invites.
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby backwaterscotland » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:36 am

It's been quite a while since I've done much with the layout as I've been distracted with dabbling in 7/8th scale and have started a large-ish (20'x8') 00-gauge layout but the layout has been invited to a show in October so I've dug it out to see what still needs to be done.

There are a few rough edges to tidy up, many more details to install and the windows to glaze. These will all get done over the next few months.

One thing I wasn't very happy about was the landrover - the colour is nothing like a real one and the fancy wheels just don't suit. Last year I went off on a hunt for a Trabant kit to do something similar to the one earlier in the thread but didn't manage to find one in any of my local shops.

However, a local charity shop turned up an old tamiya citroen 2cv kit for £5 which I thought might do instead. The kit was complete with transfers but was missing the glazing sprue so I've had to improvise with plastic sheet and bits from the spares box. Painted in Ford sahara beige, it looks good on the layout.

Cross Kitter wrote:Looking really good.
Have you put the layout details online? I know from my time as a Exhibition Manager I was always looking out for new layouts and as yours is so good I'm sure you will get many invites.

The layout details will appear on the Scottish Modellers website (http://www.scottishmodellers.co.uk) once I get around to building the new site.

Andy 8)

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:22 am

G'day Andy
However, a local charity shop turned up an old tamiya citroen 2cv kit for £5 which I thought might do instead. The kit was complete with transfers but was missing the glazing sprue so I've had to improvise with plastic sheet and bits from the spares box. Painted in Ford sahara beige, it looks good on the layout.

Luck that all the window glass on a 2cv is flat isn't it ?
It does look good doesn't it ?

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby backwaterscotland » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:07 am

Adrian wrote:G'day Andy
Luck that all the window glass on a 2cv is flat isn't it ?
It does look good doesn't it ?

Cheers

Thanks Adrian,

All flat except the rear screen- took a bit more work to curve that one. Lots of little clamps.

All the windows are simply clear plastic sheet glued inside the car with the rubbers draw on with a sharpie - looks effective from a reasonable distance although it lacks the opening front windows.

I can now look at the landrover and see if it can be made more realistic - sourcing new wheels and a repaint would probably be a good place to start.

Andy 8)

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:33 pm

Like the 2CV.

You could always just apply lots of mud to the wheels of the Landy :D and a coat of matt varnish with dirty brown in it might cure the colour problem.

Simon
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.

I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby backwaterscotland » Sat May 25, 2013 12:19 pm

I've been looking at the stock for the layout over the last few weeks and working out what I need and what I'd like (not always the same thing :D )

Thanks to Ryan, I have almost doubled my stock in the last week.

Currently my stock looks like this (seen on Workshop No 3) :

2 Underground ernie based locos - 1 simplex-ish and the other a sidelines kit.

Long wheelbase - 1 box van and 2 flat wagons

Short wheelbase - 2 tippers, 1 tank, 1 flat, 5 single plank and 1 3 plank.

I'd quite like a tool wagon and the tippers will be rebuilt at some point with more accurate supports.

Motive power, I'd like to add a Gas Mechanical conversion and possibly another UE based loco.

The question comes down to "Do I need any more stock?"

Answers on a postcard as they say!

Andy 8)

Return to “Modelling Matters”