Tom Yorke Island Locos

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

trac555
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, 7/8's

Tom Yorke Island Locos

Postby trac555 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:57 pm

As many of you know, Tom is now building a 4' x 5' lightweight (foam and balsa foam) Gn15 layout based on a Caribbean island theme and called "The Last Resort". Tom has been experiencing difficulties in posting to Gnatterbox, so I am posting pictures of some of his new Gn15 locos for him.

The first is a Vertical Boiler Teakettle to take arriving guests up the mountain to the resort. It is built over a Bachmann On30 Davenport.

The second is a "squat little 0-6-0T" that was bashed from a Bachmann On30 2-6-0. Remember, "little" to Tom has a different meaning than it does to Gnatterboxers modeling estate railways!

Next is a little Jung-style loco. Not sure of the mechanism.

The final picture is a new piece of power he is working on for his larger "Grande Barbosa Island Railway". It is a Heisler clone and is built upon an Athearn HO SW Diesel loco frame.

Tom always builds such creative, interesting and character filled locos that I thought other Gnatterboxers would enjoy viewing them. If you are interested in more pictures and explanation, visit Tom's new Blog site "tom yorke Gn15 railways" at:

http://tomyorkegn15railways.blogspot.com/
Art Farwell

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Thanks for posting the photos Art.

Tom's work is always outstanding and he has produced some more great locos. The chassis for the 3 loco looks to be the same as the 2nd one.

What a shame that Tom can't post here direct, because not all of us have time to go checking a range of blog sites. It's much easier to just to come to this site to see what happening!

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:10 am

Great builds ................... and visually rich! Nice to see something other than battery and little diesel loco's; nothing wrong with them of course, but it's pleasant to sway to a different beat every now and then.
I'm drawn to the Surrey fringed teapot! I could see something like that at the Top Yard. ............. [I cringe at mentioning the Top yard for fear of folk remembering that it hasn't been updated in so long - {sorry].

A round of applause from me.
KBO .......................... Andi.

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:25 pm

I'd second that idea about the 3rd and second locos both being built on bachmann moguls. the wheels and connecting rods are quite distinctive among 16.5mm gauge chassis

Wesleyb
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Anything narrow guage aswell as O scale Dioramas

Postby Wesleyb » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Wow those are some fantastic looking little locos. I love his scenery too.
Regards
Wes

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:22 am

The Jan / Feb 2013 issue of Narrow Gauge and Shortline GAZETTE features an article by T.A. Yorke about building die 0-3-0 tank loco.

have Fun

Juergen

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Fantastic locos. I especially like the mining loco, perhaps inspired by a loco I've wanted to model for many years, Porter's H.D.V. Pratt;
Just yesterday I procured a Bachmann 2-6-0 with this in mind. Looks like a better modeler beat me to it!
Thanks so much for posting these. Wonderfully inspiring!

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: old technology and small railways, with new technology tossed in.

Postby JeffSaxton » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:55 pm

cjwalas wrote:Fantastic locos. I especially like the mining loco, perhaps inspired by a loco I've wanted to model for many years, Porter's H.D.V. Pratt;

Not sure, but to me, the top of the cab and boiler looks to have been removed photographically, and the stack is all wrong and too small for Porter. Where's the steam dome or other form of dry spot for the bolier?
Jeff Saxton
I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes!

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Sorry to disagree with you, Jeff, but the H.D.V. Pratt is a rather well known and documented engine. It was a 5 ton, 36" gauge Class B-mine engine delivered by Smith & Porter to the Towanda Coal Company in 1870, builder's #82. The steam dome is there, it's just very short and sits in the height of the saddle tank. The cabs on almost all the Porter mine locos were extremely low, usually at the same height as the tank. I agree that the smokestack looks small in diameter for the boiler, but this was designed when John Smith was still with the company, which would account for the English look of it.
Here's a copy of the original ad photo;
These low mining locos were surprisingly successful, even after electric, fireless and battery locos were introduced.
Here's one (sorry for the bad photo) from considerably later on, showing the same basic layout;

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: old technology and small railways, with new technology tossed in.

Postby JeffSaxton » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 pm

I agree the loco was built, but this photo is bodged to show effect for advertising only. All the other period references are lithographs that show an engine with open steel cab sides, and a different dome assembly.

If you look at this one, it is a standard boilered engine, with the wood cab overlayed, and the top of the saddle tank rather poorly removed. The top of the smokebox is visible at the right, and if you drew a line straight back to the cab roof, there would be no room for the top of the saddle tank, nor any dome of any kind.

The too small stack sits much too far forward (not in line with the cylinders at all), and the man's elbow is missing, as is any sort of cab roof overhang. "Pratt" was supposed to measure five feet tall overall, I'm 5'-8" -- and in that pose, my elbow is right at 53" -- even allowing for him standing on the block of wood (footboard?) the loco would come up to my collarbones at 60" tall.

Porter was well known for using the equal of "Photoshop" in their ads, as did everyone else at the time.

The second photo of "#1" is from at least 40 years later, and a different design.
Jeff Saxton

I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes!

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 pm

I bow to your superior knowledge, sir.

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:10 am

Tracked down this illustration, which looks like it might be a rendering of the original engine? Perhaps Porter kluged together the photo for a catalog after the engine had been delivered? Having said that, the stack still looks small and forward.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Mon May 20, 2013 11:42 am

Since the Kraehwinkel eisenbahn Gesellschaft (KEG) always wanted a vertical boiler loco, and the Toeffelholm Destillery might need one as well, we decided to order the parts from Thomas A. Yorke. it was 26 $ postage for two kits, but it sneaked through the customs.

It is intended for a Bachmann 0n30 Davenport drive, but 22 mm axle distance seems to be a bit short for our purposes. I worked on the chassis, tp use a Bachmann 0n30 Tramcar drive, which was at hand.

The boards on the kettle might be a bit wide. Maybe I change them.

Driver Hank from Schomberg models is waiting now, for the roof and all the plumbing to be delivered. There is plenty of room for batteries and a Deltang receiver in the kettle.

Have Fun

Juergen

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Mon May 20, 2013 1:45 pm

Appears to be a very desirable piece of equipment added to the ever increasing KEG Roster!

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Wed May 22, 2013 9:32 am

Progess is slow, but I enjoy working on it.

Found some 3 x 1 mm stripwood and some brass band at the shop for architectural modelling. They sell the Plastruct plumbing as well.
Think I will need different axle boxes.

The loco sits on Peco Code 143 rail, which looks much more convincing than the code 100 material.

Have Fun

Juergen

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Sun May 26, 2013 11:50 pm

Invested a few hours in making and mounting all these plumbing.

Next will be some new axle boxes. Need something with springs.

With the roof on, it reminds a bit of these tourist thingies at amusement parks. But the hamster is happy.

Must apply gloss or semi gloss varnish on the red parts one of these days.

Have Fun

Juergen

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Mon May 27, 2013 1:07 am

Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Fri May 31, 2013 6:19 am

Meanwhile I changed the axleboxes. Found some spung ones in whitemetal from TFS /Tegernseer Feldbahnschmiede.

Most smaller parts are still missing or not fixed permanently yet.
We still have to take the model apart again, to install the RC equipment.

Have Fun

Juergen

tom yorke
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: ind. ng, small locos, miniatures

Postby tom yorke » Fri May 31, 2013 11:27 am

Nice work Juergen! I wondered how you were coming along on the model. i really like the headlight.

For some reason, either mine or the site's, I am back in the group. Don't know what went wrong initially, however, all seems OK again. Thanks Carlo for your help!
Tom
Tom Yorke
Thomas A Yorke Design Studio
Atlanta, Georgia

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:05 pm

The headlight is a casting from Smallbrok Studios from their R. Emett line of models.

The coal wagons are from Andel models, regauged from 32mm to 16,5mm

Have Fun

Juergen

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:02 pm

I read elsewhere that Tom had retired, are his books and kits no longer available?
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:16 pm

The easest way is to contact Tom A. Yorke, if you need something. A lot of rubbish and rumours is spread via internet.

I bought a few kits from him last November http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=9545&highlight=taiwan+mining+loco

Have Fun

Juergen

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby martin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:21 pm

KEG wrote:The easest way is to contact Tom A. Yorke, if you need something. A lot of rubbish and rumours is spread via internet.

I bought a few kits from him last November http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=9545&highlight=taiwan+mining+loco

Have Fun

Juergen

Thanks

He's truly inspirational and from time to time i'll always dip in and out of his blogs. I've always wanted to pick up some stuff from him but have avoided it so far because of import tax - now I have family that travel to the US a lot I really ought to ask them to pick up some stuff for me!
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby martin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:23 pm

Is it just me or does his online shop no longer work? I can't even see the GN15 pages

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:57 am

but have avoided it so far because of import tax

I don´t know how much import tax they charge in the UK. But it is problaby less, than the postage to the place, your relatives will be in the US. Unless they happen to travel to Area 51 / Roswell, the place Mr. Yorke is living now.

They might have to hang around and wait a few weeks, until Mr. Yorke feels like casting the parts.
Yes, there is no more Yorke Online Shop. But still you can get wht you ask for, as long as the molds are still usable. Be prepared to wait a few weeks or months for delivery.

Have Fun

Juergen

Return to “Modelling Matters”