The Early Morning Milk Train

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:07 pm

Given that I as the one who initiated one of the other threads concerning copyright, I feel guilty adding more fuel to the fire, but it is thing like what has been said here that concern me most of all. I understand the original reasons for protecting rights etc, but still feel things might be getting out of control now.
Just checked Google map, where I know there is a photo of Mac Donalds, and it seems MacDonalds are not bothered that they are included in a photo on Google Map, as it is FREE publicity, assuming Google don't charge to include business names in their photos. As I said on other threads Copyright is not as simple as it should be. In theory it is, but then there are the exceptions to the rules.
Must have been decanting that petrol the government told me to stockpile, as the flames are doing quite nicely now.
Now can anyone recommend a good philosophy forum, as I do want to find an answer to the questions, Can an idea be owned and Do ideas exist? Much more interesting than trying to prove whether God exists, which is what we tried to do at Uni.

Back to this thread, those Emett creations are superb, but even Emett used ordinary things he found tying around to base his machines on(there is some film on internet somwhere), so could it not be said he was using things desiogned by someone else, and therefore by using them in anotherway, possibly detrimental, he could be challenged, in the same way as someone having a model of a well known business on their layout.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:48 pm

:lol: The McDonalds issue is nothing to do with copyright, it's their "trademark" that they dont want people using. Same with the Union Pacific which came up in the other thread.

You also cant copyright an idea or theory, it has to be a physical thing. You should be talking about patents when it comes to ideas and thats a lot more complex and expensive than getting copyright on something you have created.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

MichaelPG
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 15", 18" & 40cm gauge railways and models

Postby MichaelPG » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Adrian wrote:
Although I have seen a number of 0-2-0's (at least 4 including mine) they have all been tender locos _____ a tank loco would probably be a first

Here's one: http://www.chrisbeetles.com/gallery/cartoon/happy-christmas.html

Return to “Modelling Matters”