Santa's railway / Pizza for Christmas

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

G'day Glen
Sorry 'bout the rivet counting :oops:
(Not something I normally subscribe to.)

However, according to the site that I got the names from, http://lovesanta.com.au/blog/2007/santa ... ers-names/ Santa must have had a few more hidden away somewhere. :)

Someone calculated that one soft toy per child times number of kids in the world = 333,333 tones of toys
Which equates to about 214,000 reindeer required to pull that load.
Now THAT's a rivet counter. :shock:

Even I didn't suggest that you have that number on the layout.

Must admit that I like Steve's idea of a log cabin ----- definitely more appropriate than mock tudor.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:58 am

No worries Adrian. I was only joking about the rivet counting.
Please keep up the good suggestions.

Anyway you telling me there were nine reindeer has now meant I can now go with an odd number (even though all the drawings show them in pairs).

So just for you, I went out today and bought the last reindeer in the shop.
So now I have three. And yes, I will try and put an LED in the nose. :P

I'm sticking with the building for now. It won't be painted in contrasting colours like tudor buildings. It's just going to be all one colour (not sure green, red or something else yet). There are buildings over here made with cement board panels and a strip covering the joins which is actually what it is supposed to be a replica of and hopefully thats what the locals will identify it as. Not many tudor buildings over here :wink: (and even less old buildings left here now after the mass clearing of areas following the earthquakes :( )

By the time there is an igloo in front and a few other things, I think the building will just end up being a background object. Ok enough writing - time to get back to the painting....

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:21 am

A quick update on progress:

The sleigh has been painted, and glitter glued around the edges (what a messy job that turned out to be!).

I started making some reins for the reindeer using little pipe cleaners from a craft shop, thanks to an idea from Adrian.

The workshop is ready for a test layer of snow. I tried making some ice hanging from the roof using cling film food rap, which was painted with gloss medium:

And then a first layer of snow on the roof. I'm using Woodland Scenics snow, which I have never used before. Here is what it looks like so far:

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:27 am

Wow, I'm impressed so far, with the progress and the appearance!

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:23 am

Glen, you should have a word with Santa. Raking out the firebox while stationary is not a good idea, just look at thay hole he's melted in the ice! Much better to do it on the move if possible. :lol:

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:11 am

Are all the reindeer called Schleich? Doesn't it sound like a brand of German beer!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:37 am

G'day Glen
Like the way the pizza is coming on.
The snow looks almost as cold as it feels here at the moment.
Faller do a winter scene kit which comes complete with icicles.
http://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/pro ... odukt.html
However it doesn't include very many and it is rather expensive :shock:
I think that I will try your idea if I ever get around to doing a winter scene

Regarding the odd number of reindeer I believe that 'Cobb and Co', in Aussie land, although using american style concord coaches, used 5 horses, three at the front and two closer to the coach, rather than the three pairs that the american's favored. Something to do with the type of terrain that they traversed I believe.
(Sorry about that totally useless/unrelated piece of information although it might come in handy at a trivia night.)

Must admit I was wondering if you was going to put a Black Beetle under the sleigh and wheels under the reindeer and run those around the track........but that would probably be a little too much, wouldn't it ?

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:11 am

Adrian wrote:Must admit I was wondering if you was going to put a Black Beetle under the sleigh and wheels under the reindeer and run those around the track........but that would probably be a little too much, wouldn't it ?

Ha, Yes that would have looked funny. Pity it won't work for this sleigh, because its outside the loading gauge designed to fit through the shed doors. :( I might store that idea for later though if there is time at the end to try another one. :wink:
Last edited by Glen A on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:22 am

Hi Glen,
Coming along nicely.
Based upon my experience recently in using a hot glue gun I suggest you use it to make your icicles. :wink:
If you can live with the dialogue here's a demonstration I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE-tK5kTb4E
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:12 am

Gerry Bullock wrote:Hi Glen,
Coming along nicely.
Based upon my experience recently in using a hot glue gun I suggest you use it to make your icicles. :wink:
If you can live with the dialogue here's a demonstration I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE-tK5kTb4E

Thanks Gerry,
I might give that a go tomorrow night.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Not much to show for the last couple of weeks.
There would be more, but I 'undid' a lot of it yesterday becuase I wasn't happy with it :roll:

Anyway here is an igloo caved from polystyrene, with paint (to seal it) and snow added:

And the North Pole now has a national flag. Its flying on the flag pole on the workshop:

And another little computer job. A list of good and bad children to go inside the workshop in the dispatch area. Everyone knows what happens when you are on Santa's bad children list :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Next job is to work out how to make the sacks of presents. I need a few of them and I'm still trying to work out what to use.

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:27 am

G'day Glen

Love the way that the pizzas' coming along.

Thou' just wondering if the igloo is actually big enough :?:
Was always under the impression that they all had two rooms.
The one in the front called the Ig.

(Sorry about that ..... just hope that it doesn't put me on the 'bad' list)

Must say that your thread has got me wondering where my HO Santa/sleigh/boomers white metal kit is.
Although having boomers rather than reindeer would mean I would have to model the South Pole depot not the North !

Well as you say its only about 6 months to christmas !

Cheers and thanks for sharing even if it does mean that I now have yet another layout on my 'bucket' list.
Adrian Hoad

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:58 am

Adrian wrote:Was always under the impression that they all had two rooms.
The one in the front called the Ig.

Ha Ha :lol: :lol: :lol:

No I don't have six months to finish it.
Booked for a train show first weekend in October.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:01 am

Glen A wrote:
Next job is to work out how to make the sacks of presents. I need a few of them and I'm still trying to work out what to use.

How about trying the white modellng clay sold in craft section of Warehouse.
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:55 am

Coming along nicely Glen, the good/bad children list made me laugh, I hope it will be visable to those who look closely, be a shame to hide it away.
The snow on the roof has worked well, can I ask what you used :?:

Got me thinking about sacks now and at present Pauls suggestion of clay would seem a good option. Trying to think of something thin, soft and maleable that could be used so gifts could be put inside. Nothing yet, but will let you know if anything comes to mind.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:16 am

G'day Glen

When I used to work in a supermarket (30+ years ago) one of the customers used to buy flour in 5kg bags.
The bag material would be IDEAL for 1/24th sacks.
Unfortunatly, although I scrounged several sacks from her way back then I have NO idea where they are now :shock: :shock: :shock:

(By the way went looking for the Santa/sleigh kit last night ..... no luck but I did find some 'O' scale garden gnomes.)

Even with the revised deadline it looks as though you will finish in time even if the paint is still wet on the first day of the show.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:29 am

:shock: :idea:
Would this work for you - some type of open weave plain-coloured cotton or nylon (old workshirt?) cut into circles, lightly dust with spray paint to get "correct" colour, load with "bulgy" bits to simulate the pressies and tie off with fuse wire :?:
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:22 am

Steve Bennett wrote:The snow on the roof has worked well, can I ask what you used :?:

Hi Steve.
The snow is Woodland scenics "soft flake snow SN140".
Its rather fine - like very fine sugar. Would be great for N and HO, but if I was being critical, a little too fine for G. But now I've got it I'm going to use it. :roll:
I put down a layer of thin white polystyrene on the roof first to give it some depth and make it look a lot thicker than it actually is.

Thanks to Paul and John for the ideas for the bags. I got some clay today - its DAS incase anyone was wondering. And I am going to try the fuse wire for the tie at the top. Might also try some material and see which bag looks best.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks Glen, if I had paid attention earlier in the thread, I would have seen it was Woodland Scenics :roll:
It is quite effective and the use of polystyrene to give it more depth works very well. I wouldnt worry about it being too fine, some of the snow we had here a couple of years ago, was very fine, probably about 5mm across at most. So it probably scales ok.

Too hot and sunny for resin here today, so thought I would have a play at some sacks.

Nothing very sophisticated, some Kleenex tissue, a few blocks of balsa, to put inside, then a quick coat of paint.
The green one next to Santa came with him courtesy of Aristocraft. The brownish colour ones are the Kleenex. The lighter of the two looks better to my eye, as I used smaller blocks of balsa, cut from 5mm square strip and the tissue has shaped around it better.
They will probably get a bit of a black wash to bring out shape and texture once the paint has fully dried.
Oh, I also put a couple of M4 nuts in the base of the sacks to give some weight low down which helps them stand up. I guess the metal nuts would also make them magnetic, though not thought what use that might be yet :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanks Steve!
I'll take 10 more. Will send you my address. :lol:
Just joking. :wink:

Seriously; Thanks for spending the time to do this!
I'll have a go at some tonight. I had ruled out using paper towels, but hadn’t thought of tissues.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Glen A wrote:I'll have a go at some tonight. I had ruled out using paper towels, but hadn’t thought of tissues.

Well the tissue was not my first try, so to avoid anybody else wasting time:
Screen wipes failed as it was not possible to stick them with PVA. Not sure if it was the alcohol they are impregnated with, but even after drying out, still no joy gluing them together.

Wet wipes or baby wipes are a bit heavy and often have a pattern embosed in them, but having just tried them, works pretty well. A lot more robust than tissue, they do need to be dried out first, otherwise PVA wont stick them. Not able to get as small a sack as with tissue, due to the stiffness, but they shape nicely with paint used to set them. Filled the bottom of this one with some stone ballast, which gives a nice base.
It's soaking wet right now, so probably tomorrow before I can take a photo.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Well it's nice and warm here tonight, so the sack has just about dried out:

The new one on the right is made with a piece of Wet Wipe. As stated above, this is a lot heavier than tissue and not so easy to do as small. With the base filled with some ballast, it does sit down very nicely, but the outline shapes of the blocks inside dont show up very well. The finish looks more like suede or leather, than sack cloth, so maybe there are other uses for the material. It even feels like suede :)
If you want something that is tough and difficult to tear, this would be the best option, I think it would be difficult to rip it.

I suppose a quick note on my construction method might help :)
With both the tissue and the Wet Wipe, I cut a strip slightly wider than the sack is to be. Glue down both sides, then fold in half so the fold line is the bottom of the sack. Leave to dry for approx 10 minutes, then turn it inside out, which is not easy with something this small :roll:
Next trim off top with scissors to the required height.
Then simply fill it up, pushing into shape as you go.
Finally, paint with a well thinned down acrylic paint. I used both Tamiya thinned with nail polish remover and the very pale one was done with a cheap craft paint diluted with water. Not much to choose between the two, the Tamiya dries quicker, the craft paint seems to shrink against the shape of the contents better, though takes much longer to dry (not surprisingly).

Anyway, hope there is something useful in here somewhere :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:01 am

G'day Glen
Just found this on the net......
Not really on topic but it sort of follows the theme.......
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Common ... 200258.gif
Hope that you enjoy :D
Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:11 pm

We all know Steve is a true master.
And when tring to copy something he has done, you don't always end up with the same result :wink: :cry:

So after two nights and plenty of shredded little bits of tissue paper later, I had only managed to turn one inside out without ripping it.

Time to admit defeat, and go with the DAS model clay idea instead.

I had never worked with this stuff before, but after just 45mins I had 9 bags.
They are not as good as Steve's, but hopefully no-one over here will have seen Steve's one and have anything to compare them to. :wink:

Sorry, had to use the flash:

I just need to add the fuse wire tie around them and a luggage label to finish these off.
And then I'll make a few more.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:02 am

Steve Bennett wrote:Image

I trust Santa is not leading any kids astray handing out rivets as presents :wink: :wink:
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Return to “Modelling Matters”