A new 1:24 estate layout

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

A new 1:24 estate layout

Postby Ian-IoM » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:37 pm

‘lo folks,

I’ve been playing around with model trains for thirty odd years, on and off, but have yet to build a proper working layout :oops:

I suppose it’s about time I had a go, so here’s the track plan ...

… and here it is a few bits of wood and some Peco O-16.5 track later…

I still need to wire it up properly and fit the point controls but I’ve connected a couple of wires and watched a train running round for a while – strangely relaxing :roll: and I quite like the idea of building something that actually works for a change. (I’ve fitted some DG couplings too - a mere two years after building the wagons, I don’t like to rush these things :? )

Scenic treatment is just a general notion at the moment, the idea is small estate railway with a few different scenes to give a bit of purpose to shifting wagons about. I’m wondering about trying for a vaguely Portmeirion look but I’m a long way from anything scenic yet, I plan to get things properly wired up and working first…
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Carlo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: figures, microlayouts

Postby Carlo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Ian -
Very nice idea.
How about some dimensions, like overall size, major radii,
track switch size/type etc. ?
Carlo

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:46 pm

Ian,

Your plan looks compact and full of operating potential. I can't wait to see how it progresses. Please keep us updated.
Best wishes,
Mark

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks,

Oops, yes - dimensions. It's built on two boards each 24 x 35 inches, a size chosen to fit both the cupboard under the stairs and the kitchen table. It was drawn up with a minimum radius of 8 inches, the track is just Peco O-16.5 flexi track and points, mostly Ys.

The Alice loco has been trundling round pulling a couple of slate wagons for a while, it manages the curves ok despite a fairly long rear overhang :D .
Ian K

Be seeing you...

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:34 pm

nice plan, a bit bit for me as I like to keep size down to htat I can fit in car(I also like a challenge)
Reminds me of one of the first plans/projects in the original magazine which evolved into current Model Trains International.
The size is pretty close to that of a pasting table(but slightly narrower at 22in). I have thought about using a pasting table for Gn15, but getting the boards to line up is one difficulty, the other is making the building fit so the whole thing folds up to be carried easily. My Port d'Étropal 1/12th scale layout uses a pasting table as a base, but all the scenery(?) lifts off, and the base is only just possible to lift. I originally built it for the French exhibition challenge( One square metre) but for various reasons it did not get to Paris
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:55 pm

Good to see another 1:24 estate railway. I went the hard route and butchered Peco code 100 streamline for my track though. Thankfully I have finished four boards - only the Victorian Gothic steam powered theme park to go which is just a loop of track really.

I hope progress is not too glacial!!!! :)
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:05 am

Simon – It is a bit on the big side but I wanted a reasonably interesting track plan and room for a bit of scenery. I did initially think if making it fold with the two boards hinged together but it has ended up as two boards with alignment dowels and over-centre catches. It would probably be a bit unwieldy as a folding unit, as it is the boards are an easy size to handle and fit on the kitchen table so I can work in comfort.

Ian – Glacial? :lol: That’s about the speed I usually work but I’ll try to get this done before the decade’s out :roll: . I’m thinking the ability to play trains on it might keep the enthusiasm level up, building something that doesn’t actually work properly gets to seem a bit pointless after a while – with the suitcase it got to the stage of thinking what the dooda do I do with this when it’s finished, stick in a cupboard and forget it? (Actually it’s in the shed). Also I’m deliberately not planning the scenic treatment in detail – I’ll just let it evolve as I go so I don’t feel restricted to following a prepared design.
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Carlo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: figures, microlayouts

Postby Carlo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Ian -
Have you thought about integrating the "suitcase" into this layout?
Perhaps an adjunct to the canal-side end? It wouldn't even have to
operate (much), just add to the scenic look of the layout. It's a
shame to waste this very nice diorama in the shed.
Carlo

ijopson
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: MODELMAKING, WOODWORK

Postby ijopson » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:01 pm

I'd just like to thank you for posting the track plan, which I have instantly purloined. i've been playing with points on a couple of boards a similar size for some weeks now but couldn't get the 'round and round' that I wanted. I'm sure my layout, when started, will end up completely different, so perhaps it won't be noticeable.
ij

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:56 pm

ijopson wrote: ...the track plan, which I have instantly purloined...

No problem, I can't claim it's original anyway - it bears a more than passing resemblance to Barry's "Cats Common": http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5975
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:30 am

Looking great so far Ian! Looking forward to future developments.
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

ian holmes
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, photography and maintaining my Englishness living in America

Postby ian holmes » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:46 am

Big thumbs up from me too!
Like the design and the features you're incorporating

Ian
Model railway psychic nutjob
Ian's Gn15 pages at http://www.iholmes.com
Try something different http://gnine.info

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, photography, outdoor life.

Postby henrix72se » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:57 am

Great trackplan !

/Henrik
I build Industrial and Military Light Railways in 1/35n18 scale - http://Laurell.Today/

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Pootling on with the boring wiring and things, nothing very photogenic but there was a stroke of luck with the slide switches - the throw is as near as I can measure identical to the tiebar throw on the points. I'm using RC type control snakes and pushrods, with the switch mounted directly below the tiebar. The control wire is bent 90deg to go through a hole drilled in the switch and up through the baseboard to to a hole in the tiebar so both move together. About as simple as you can get, which suits me:
Ian K

Be seeing you...

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:13 pm

Ian-IoM wrote:Pootling on with the boring wiring and things, nothing very photogenic but there was a stroke of luck with the slide switches - the throw is as near as I can measure identical to the tiebar throw on the points. I'm using RC type control snakes and pushrods, with the switch mounted directly below the tiebar. The control wire is bent 90deg to go through a hole drilled in the switch and up through the baseboard to to a hole in the tiebar so both move together. About as simple as you can get, which suits me:

If you find that there is part of the frame in the way, a 10BA bolt will screw directly into the hole in the tiebar of a Peco point :)

As seen below on the underside of 'Cat's Common'

Oh, and there's nothing boring about wiring :wink:
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:52 pm

More_Cats_Than_Sense wrote: Oh, and there's nothing boring about wiring :wink:

Yours has nice coloured bits though, mine is just plain white :(

Just meant I hadn't been doing anything that would make an interesting update here really. Nothing against electrical stuff, used to read ETI and all that way back when my brain worked...
Ian K

Be seeing you...

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Ian-IoM wrote:Yours has nice coloured bits though, mine is just plain white :(

If it makes you feel better about your wire colour, 99% of all the panel wiring I deal with at work is just plain black...... 8)

I did get what you meant though, it's all the necessary bits that need to be done below the baseboard when you'd much rather doing all the fun bits above the baseboard :wink:
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Most of the underbaseboard gubbins done now, kept fairly simple using slide switches and control snakes from the local RC plane emporium:

The snakes just pop up above baseboard level at the control end. I’ll add some sort of knobs for better grip and build up the ground a bit to hide the blue tubey bits:
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Very good - very neat. Much better than "Top Yard" [which still languishes].
The thing I found frustrating was after all the effort and care laying, electrifying and making operable the trackwork on "Top Yard" as soon as I tried to "landscape" it - it all stopped working!!?
No real matter as it was ought but a gimmicky Photo-prop, although perhaps I'll make another attempt at getting it going again now I'm managing a bit of time back at the bench??? - "ish"!

Great Job Ian ... I am following this build, and looking forward to seeing your inimitable style take shape.
KBO .......................... Andi.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:14 pm

Nice work Ian.

First job is to put a solid board over top of those cables, so when you add scenery on top later the glue doesn't soak through and run down into the moving bits.
And if you have to remove the scenery later you can dig it out knowing that the cable wires underneath are protected. :wink:

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:08 pm

Thanks folks,

Andi - After my last attempt at a layout ending up firmly in the "doesn't work" camp I'm keeping it simple on this one, beginner level really as far as the (hopefully) working bits are concerned. The track on the suitcase thingummy was too ambitious (and a bit gimmicky too I suppose) and it was impossible to get at the works once the layout was assembled, here it's all pretty basic and accessible so I should be able to make it work, fingers crossed and all that :roll:

Glen - Yep, next job is to cover those cable bits, I do tend to splurge glue about at times and it has been known to find its way into odd places...
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:20 am

Ian-IoM wrote:The snakes just pop up above baseboard level at the control end.
Interesting idea.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:29 pm

‘lo folks,

A small start on a bit of scenery, the canal has gone and the end of the baseboard has turned into a quayside (Hmmm, I’m getting that feeling of Déjà–Vu again :roll: ). Well I like quaysides, just a small one this time though, the sort you might get on a natural inlet accessible at high tide…

There’s a bit of recycling here – I did the egg box stone for the suitcase but didn’t use it and it was just the right size to use here, and offcuts of the dowel I used on the jetty fitted in nicely as the pile things (whatever you call them). The other bits were knocked up from balsa, das and a bit of string and I swiped some litter from the cats to use as ballast.

Just the last 99% of the scenery to do now…
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Looking good (as always) Ian, trust you got the cat lit first.......

Trev
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things narrow gauge and crusty.

Postby bonneville » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Great work Ian, loving the paintwork! :D
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

Return to “Modelling Matters”