A new 1:24 estate layout

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Thanks Michael,

I'm thinking of veg rather than flowers, the odd tomato and whatever else people grow in greenhouses (I'm not a gardener :oops:).

I'm making a base with a couple of raised beds and room for a small bench for potting etc. - update to follow on that...
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:56 pm

Hi all,

Not entirely sure that this fits in "modelling matters" but it relates to this build thread so here goes...

There haven't been any updates on this for a while as I've been busy in real life and have moved house since my last post, downsizing to a flat. Reasons for doing it not really relevant here but it's a good move, although it means that this layout is a bit big for the new regime... I'm more in micro-layout territory now.

So, what do I do with the layout? Hmm, seems a bit of a shame to strip it for useable bits but I'll do that if required, alternatively if there's anyone out there who would like to take it on and develop it further I'm open to offers. Obviously it's a bit big to pop in the post so it would mean someone collecting it from the Isle of Man so it's a bit of a long shot but if you are interested PM me or post something....

Btw, I'm certainly not leaving the Gnatterbox or giving up Gn15 - just shrinking a bit, and I fully intend to be back with a micro size project of some sort before too long, and I hope to get a bit more active here in the future. Just been a bit busy lately :roll: :) :oops:
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:50 am

If the whole layout is only four feet long, can't you simply operate it on the kitchen table (lots of overhang obviously but do-able). Storage could be a problem of course but the top of a bookcase sounds good. Depends on just how small the flat is and how many people share the space?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:03 am

Artizen wrote:If the whole layout is only four feet long,

Actually the layout is two feet by a smidgen under six feet assembled. For storage the two boards bolt on to a stand I made, the resulting unit being about 26x18 inches footprint by 38 inches high.
Ian K

Be seeing you...

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:59 am

[quote="Ian-IoM"] more in micro-layout territory now.

And thats a great place to be in!

Roger :D
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:41 pm

Hmmm, still sorting things out and decorating in the new compact residence and I'm definitely needing to downsize the model stuff to fit.

So, rather than leaving this thread hanging I think it's time to declare that it's gone as far as it's going then let it sink slowly in the west...

In the meantime I did ponder trying a smaller scale (O9 or something), but I've decided to stick with Gn15 after all so a lot this layout will be reused - a controlled dismantle will give me a nice stock of Gn15 bits ready for a smaller build 8)

(I've just acquired a "Wilko 62 litre storage box" with the intention of using it for under-bed storage but it may find a different use... If I turn it upside down and use the lid as a baseboard I'll have room for a layout 13" x 28", the box would then make a cover (8" headroom) and the whole thing would slide under the bed for storage.... brain now processing micro layout ideas... )
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Joe Raymaker
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: narrow gauge history, Labrador Retrievers

"Gigantic" RR (by UK Standards)

Postby Joe Raymaker » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:02 pm

Ian, THANX for designing a layout that is huge by your standards, and I'm sorry that you now have to downsize.

I'm western US, and logically think of a RR "empire", and I have a
layout two by twelve. So I could enlarge your track plan in length
and it'd be just right.

JR
:lol:

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Hi Joe,

The Isle of Man is about 30 miles by 11 miles, and if I remember rightly the US is a bit bigger than that - I suppose it's logical that you have room for bigger layouts over there :lol:

Btw I adapted the track plan from one of Barry's layouts, Cats Common I think.

Actually I'm quite liking the micro layout idea now, I have the notion of making some working stuff - a tippler of some sort, perhaps a wagon lift...
Ian K

Be seeing you...

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Ian-IoM wrote:

I nearly posed a link to 'Cats Common' when I saw the trackplan :mrgreen:

Cats Common is an actual place, but no connection to the trackplan apart from the name 8)

This link to a streetview of the sign should work. http://goo.gl/maps/oS1uV

Not a good picture though.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:45 pm

More_Cats_Than_Sense wrote:This link to a streetview of the sign should work. http://goo.gl/maps/oS1uV
It worked in the middle of Missouri; shows sign right there by Barton, Norwich, and Smallburgh roads.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Larry
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 micro

Postby Larry » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:20 am

More_Cats_Than_Sense wrote:
Ian-IoM wrote:

I nearly posed a link to 'Cats Common' when I saw the trackplan :mrgreen:

Cats Common is an actual place, but no connection to the trackplan apart from the name 8)

This link to a streetview of the sign should work. http://goo.gl/maps/oS1uV

If you pan the scene you get a nice modeling scene, including what appears to be a greenhouse and the same ubiquitous recycling and trash bins we have in Portland, Oregon. Looks like somebody should start making those as accessory castings.

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Postby backwaterscotland » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:30 am

Larry wrote:

If you pan the scene you get a nice modeling scene, including what appears to be a greenhouse and the same ubiquitous recycling and trash bins we have in Portland, Oregon. Looks like somebody should start making those as accessory castings.

Something like these ? : http://www.macsmouldings.co.uk/page7.php?view=productPage&product=62&category=9

Andy 8)

Larry
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 micro

Postby Larry » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:40 am

backwaterscotland wrote:Something like these ? : http://www.macsmouldings.co.uk/page7.php?view=productPage&product=62&category=9

Andy 8)

Perfect!

Except the green ones here are for food scraps and yard debris only. It gets composted.

Blue are for recycling, brown for stuff that goes to landfill.

A little yellow tote does the wine bottles and other glass.

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:28 pm

We have the same bins in Australia so they must have been breeding!

All black is general landfill rubbish
Black body with a green lid is green waste for the council to convert into mulch for ground cover
Green body with a yellow lid is for recyclables

There are other colours creeping in which are basically similar (they must get different batches from different suppliers so the colours may vary). I have seen bins with red lids for example.
The colours can vary also between different councils so if you do model these, any colour combo will be accurate.
Ian Hodgkiss

The Steamy Pudding (in progress)

West of Worcester (in progress)

Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)

Brisbane, Australia

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:43 am

Having seen the creeping tide of wheelie bins over past 30 years, I find the shared communal trade sized ones which are emptied more often(every 2 working days) in France far better, except for the bean counters who seem to be on the increase at the expense of properly employed people.
Last week I was driving along typical semi rural Lancashire road, and every house had an unsightly wheelie bin(black I think) outside on pavement. Not good for tourism, whereas in France the streets in my town are very tidy and tourist friendly(apart from the occasional dog mess) and it is an old textile town looking to tourism for the future. A similar economic plan executed in two different ways.
Wheelie bins are a classic symbol of our time, so as model makers we should include them, but I would like to see some bigger trade sized ones in our models. Colour usually grey so don't stand out.
Back to thread, I would expect an estate(commercial) to have trade sized bins.

Just had a thought, a special coloured ones to put the bean counters in!!! :lol:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:27 am

Each council decides what colour is used for what.
We have :-
Black = Landfill
Blue = Recyclables
Small Green = Food waste
Just Playing Trains!

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9 and ng in general

Postby Si » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:35 pm

Wish we had wheelie bins....we just have to put out our bin bags, which the bin men hurl across the road meaning that every so often one explodes on landing and spreads its waste everywhere. The bin men who caused it are, of cause, not allowed to clear it up on H & S grounds.

And that's without all the attacks from rats, cats and foxes if you put them out the night before because the bin men are coming at some ungodly hour in the morning (they let you know that they are there at an ungodly hour by either singing at the tops of their voices or hurling abuse at each other).

Now, where did I leave the dried frog pills?

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:28 pm

fatmac wrote:Each council decides what colour is used for what.
We have :-
Black = Landfill
Blue = Recyclables
Small Green = Food waste

Ours are: -

Black = Landfill
Black with green lid = Recyclables
Brown = Composting
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

steerngo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: most itams ng

Postby steerngo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:47 am

I have noticed in some european cities there are large communal bins in parking places at the side of the street in its own parking place. and they are sometimes emptied overnight/early morning. Being in its own parking place it is always accessible, better than struggling down tight side streets and back alleys.

ken

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:11 am

steerngo wrote:I have noticed in some european cities there are large communal bins in parking places at the side of the street in its own parking place. and they are sometimes emptied overnight/early morning. Being in its own parking place it is always accessible, better than struggling down tight side streets and back alleys.

ken

its a much better system and there always seems to be space for your rubbish
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

Return to “Modelling Matters”