Old World Charm

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 modeler

Old World Charm

Postby Bob Roegge » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:15 am

This thread will document construction a new layout that I am going to call Old World Charm as it will roughly model a Mediteranean seaside village. Along the front will be a rocky coast and small port area with a fishing boat. The background will be buildings as I have seen in photos and paintings and some hilly/mountainous terrain. It will be served by a small light railway.

The layout will have a duel purpose. It will be a switching layout for home use and display layout with continuous operation capability for shows. Intent is to have ability to run two trains end to end on seperate track sections with delay/reversing circuits on each. Setting the delays with different timing will make the train movements rather random in appearance. I think I will use Circuitron AR2 circuits.

I have built the frame and laid out the track plan. Track plan may differ from markings as I begin laying the track. I am not a big planner and model whatever comes to mind as I work. Frame is 18" x 108" made of two sections 18" x 54". Size was determined by the space in my car. It was constructed with 1" x 3" pine with 2" blue foam tops to keep it light in weight.

I build engines and rolling stock as I build the layout so they will be shown on the thread as well. I have built the first of engines to operate on the layout. It is basically a copy of an Ian Thompson engine that I just could not resist. The engineer is from Schomberg Models and was also designed by Ian. Picture was taken on my Ironhorse Vineyards layout. It is scratch built and uses a Bachmann HO GE44 Ton power truck.

The only other model built thus far is the boat to be moored in the port. It was scratch built from cardstock with inspiration from pictures of small wooden fishing boats on th web.

I have never modeled anything European so I appologize in advance if I miss the mark. Your feedback is welcome.
Bob

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 am

A very nice looking boat 8), but a bit far from home, her registration would indicate that she is from Muiden in the Netherlands. :wink:

(Source - http://www.aandc.org/research/fishing_ports.html)

Not sure what, if any, letters would be appropriate for a boat in the Med. There are some registrations shown for French and Spanish boats but not for countries further east.

Does anyone know if these registrations only apply to Atlantic and North Sea fisheries?

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:49 am

Look at Google for Henk Wust´s Punta Marina as an inspiration. An Italian seaside village in 0-16,5 scale. e.g. here at 2 minutes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zZv6S3igJc

Layouts with ports and boats seem to be quite popular. In Gn15 the (scale) boats can be quite large and dominating.

Have Fun

Juergen

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:59 pm

Bob - oops, guess I picked a bad registration. I may change that or relocate the scene to Muiden.

Jurgen - Great link. Thanks a lot. It has more character than I could hope to model. A lot of ideas in that scene.
Bob

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:15 pm

Bob Roegge wrote:Bob - oops, guess I picked a bad registration. I may change that or relocate the scene to Muiden.

... or just rename the boat. The name could be carried on a separate plank nailed over the registration.

Moving the scene to the North Sea coast would mean swapping the Med's sunshine for a much greyer, wetter, colder scene. Your loco drivers wouldn't want to be working in shirt sleeves! (insert shivering emoticon)

Carlo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: figures, microlayouts

Postby Carlo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:24 pm

Wow! I love Punta Marina.
Anyone know of any other bits about it on the web? Klaus?
I'd love to see more about it, especially how he built the scenery.
Carlo

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:48 pm

Punta Maria, built by Henk Wuest (NL) is quite well known in Europe. Have seen it in Belgium, The Netherlands and in Germany at different places.

Ten days ago it was in Luxembourg http://www.009dutch.nl/archive/2009/gallery17/index.htm

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Looks like everyone has a liking for the Mediterranean 8) 8) 8) .
The coast at the Western end of French Med(Beziers to the Camargues), is pretty flat with lots of inlets, making lightweight narrow gauge a good choice. A bit far from the battle fields of WW1 to have acquired WW1 stock though.
Apart from an article about a salt works(? , not sure but have page bookmarked somewhere), have not found anything about real narrow gauge in the area. There are certainly lots of potential routes and businesses, fishing, wine,salt, and other crops including rice.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Boghopper
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railway modelling

Postby Boghopper » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:58 pm

Not sure how important the boat's registration is. Certainly in the UK you find boats a long way from their port of registration. Maybe the same happens in the rest of Europe?
Capability Chris

Creating beautiful gardens across the southeast
http://chrisodonoghue.co.uk
http://gdngrs.com Greenwich and District Narrow Gauge Railway Society
- visit http://expong.org Expo Narrow Gauge

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:04 pm

Boghopper wrote:Not sure how important the boat's registration is. Certainly in the UK you find boats a long way from their port of registration. Maybe the same happens in the rest of Europe?

It's only a small boat. I wouldn't fancy a trip through the Channel, across the Bay of Biscay, past Portugul and through the Straits of Gib in something that size. (insert sea-sick emoticon!) :lol:

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:19 am

G'day Folks
Its nice to have a relevant registration on a boat but surly not essential ??

It's only a small boat. I wouldn't fancy a trip through the Channel, across the Bay of Biscay, past Portugal and through the Straits of Gib in something that size.

Its surprising how far some people can take the most inappropriate vehicles :!: :!: :!:
Just look at the 'Guinness book of records' :!:
And I bet Bob could come up with a suitable story that would be convincing to 95% of any audience, that's if they noticed anyway.
(Only a few would actually know or even notice but then there is always that one who will)

So, Bob, change it if you want or think up a totally believable but totally ridiculous story for those that do notice.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:06 am

As for how the boat could get to south of France, don't forget the canals. Combined with big rivers it is not too difficult to travel north to south. The difficult sea route was one of the reasons why they were built in the first place. They are not the narrow variety, more like the Manchester Ship Canal.

I am looking around for a small fishing boat for my 1/32 project, but either they are priced too high or are too big, but if I had the money and space then there are some nice basic models out there.
I found this in 1/24 scale , and this would get round the coast.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-BOAT-SEMI-KIT-1-24-SCALE-CLYDE-PUFFER-/290815901952?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item43b5fa8100

and this smaller one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRAUPNER-1-25-WP-TONE-CRAB-12-ELECTRIC-BOAT-SHIP-MODEL-KIT-484x170mm-NEW-/190755270606?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item2c69e66fce
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:35 am

Bob Roegge wrote:Bob - oops, guess I picked a bad registration. I may change that or relocate the scene to Muiden.

Jurgen - Great link. Thanks a lot. It has more character than I could hope to model. A lot of ideas in that scene.

Great looking Fishing Vessel Bob. Forget any change just tell the world you've based the craft at Muros in North Western Spain - hardly likely that you'll have too many Spanish commenting.
Registration numbers for small Fishing Vessels vary tremendously from not just country to country BUT from region to region. Some use just numbers others letters followed by numbers also letters within a string of numbers so who's to say that MU isn't from Muros.

Here's a guide to Muros: http://www.galiciaguide.com/Muros.htm

And here's a photo of part of the harbour:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:53 pm

This is going to be a neat layout. Looks like a good topic to watch for replies. :D

Okay, now, yes, trains are interesting and all, but what about those airplanes - stick and tissue rubber power?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Airplanes were yesterday. At the KEG we use Airships or even Hernekopters for Gn15

(Resin-Brass Kit offered by Industrical Mechanica / Fichtenfoo - USA)

Have Fun

Juergen

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:26 pm

I always wondered if it was able to be cross-scaled to 1:24. Isn't the ornithopter around 1:32 scale? Looks good - something different!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:33 pm

Willow Creek Traction wrote:This is going to be a neat layout. Looks like a good topic to watch for replies. :D

Okay, now, yes, trains are interesting and all, but what about those airplanes - stick and tissue rubber power?

I also hobby with radio controlled airplanes. Those in picture are scratchbuilt for indoor flying which I do a lot during our Nebraska winters. We fly in a large indoor soccer complex.
Bob

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Another critter to operate on the layout in the future. Design copied from the excellent critter by Ian Thompson and figure from Schomberg Models. As usual I need to find and add clutter and details. Bachmann GE 44 Ton truck for power.

Bob

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:29 am

Track has been laid. I used code 83 using 1/4" basswood ties and hand made the turnouts. Basic wiring is installed and I am now installing switch machines.

Bob

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:57 am

Bob,

Things are progressing nicely, very nicely!

Tomo

joe gilmartin
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: railroads fishing hunting austin healys

Postby joe gilmartin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Bob ........

Nice job on the track and switches.....
Super job on the boats and the tram ........
Can't wait for further progress

Cheers
JH Gilmartin
JH Gilmartin

Sole owner/operator
Moskito Coast Transfer Line

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:56 pm

I like the way the track has got a 'random-ness' feel to it. Like its just happened rather than been planned out.
Its all in straight lines, but they are not parallel to each other.

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:30 am

Glen A wrote:I like the way the track has got a 'random-ness' feel to it. Like its just happened rather than been planned out.
Its all in straight lines, but they are not parallel to each other.

Thanks Glen. My goal was to not have parrallel tracks and have the trains wiggle there way from end to end thus creating a little more interesting movements. Two trains moving from end to end in a straight line would be rather boring.
Bob

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:44 am

Bob Roegge wrote:Two trains moving from end to end in a straight line would be rather boring.
Point noted.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 pm

A liitle more progress on trackage. Will be able to move on to other aspects soon.

Bob

Return to “Modelling Matters”