Saving rubber

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Saving rubber

Postby scott b » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:33 am

I have an old truck model I am trying to rescue, 1920s kind of thing with rubber tires, they have micro cracks in them and I had to rebuild the wheels and I am worried the tires are going to crack. Any ideas on getting some more life out of them?
Scott B

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Re: Saving rubber

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:53 pm

scott b wrote:I have an old truck model I am trying to rescue, 1920s kind of thing with rubber tires, they have micro cracks in them and I had to rebuild the wheels and I am worried the tires are going to crack. Any ideas on getting some more life out of them?

Hi Scott, if tyres are cracked it suggests that rubber has or is on point of perishing in which case you'll need to look for source of new ones.
Once perished no way back. :cry:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Larry
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 micro

Postby Larry » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:57 pm

You might try applying heat with a heat gun to restore flexibility and remove oxidation. Then apply a rubber/vinyl restorer from an auto shop.

Gerry is right, though, if the tires are heavily cracked, prospects are grim.

Try and find a model car kit with the same size tires, or molding your own.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:23 am

same thing as called dry rot on real car tires?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things narrow gauge and crusty.

Postby bonneville » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 am

Hey Scott,

I have had some experience with model rubber tyres cracking. My father's company had no end of trouble in the early days with tyres splitting after a few years , but new technologies in butyl and rubber came along and solved that problem. I used to carefully soak the tyre in extra thin CA , add a little accelerator and leave for ten mins. A coat of matt laquer later and the tyres are at least useable.

The tamiya LRDG Chevrolet kit used to split its tyres for a living. I remember making new ones from styrene eventually.

Hope this helps.

Alex.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

Return to “Modelling Matters”