I haven`t posted about the layout for a while because I decided to concentrate on doing some modelling instead of gnattering about it.
First up, the fiddle yard track was relaid from three tracks to one because I decided that instead of having rolling stock standing by on unpowered tracks it was better just to sit them on a flat surface. This change means the powered track is now straight, which makes it much easier to use.
Next, the rail ends on the outer ends of the scenic boards were lengthened and soldered to copperclad sleeper strip so as to have them flush with the board ends to attach the fiddle yard. No photo of that. This was followed by much wiring work to connect the fiddle yard to the rest of the layout and prepare the wire ends at the board ends in order to fit connectors. For the time being, jump leads are still used. These developments mean the layout is now fully operational in the proper format. Extensive testing followed, including of the ability to run two locos, during which tests I took this picture.
Once the Davenport has headed off into the woods with supplies for the kitchens of the Hall, the Hornet will go out onto the main line and push its single wagon off through the fields in the other direction to deliver some vegetables to other Estate tenants along the line.
I changed the farm backscene to another image from my local farm, which looks more appropriate and also better matches the colours of the layout. I also began, after days of experimenting, to clad the Dutch barn.
I am cladding the barn using large panels which will be marked with lines to represent the joints between individual sheets. I chose this method because:
1/Experiments with individual sheets were frustrating because using very thin materials made sheets that were impossible to glue together without ruining the corrugations, and using thicker materials exaggerated the joints too much.
2/On many such barns that I have seen, the joints between sheets are not very obvious and a suggestion of joints would seem to be enough.
I enclose a picture of the first panel on the barn, not yet coloured or marked. Does it look sufficiently like corrugated iron?
The majority of work has been focused on the woodlands at the other end, an area which requires much work to get right. Here is an overall view of the wood as it looks now.
The big tree armature is some pieces of rosemary bush. The top part, like the top of most tall things on this layout, detaches to allow the boards to crate together. The smallish trees are Hebe bush twigs with Woodland Scenics foliage draped over to get an impression of what they will look like foliated (its not the final foliage). The saplings are SIST 4mm scale adult trees, ready-made. The stumps are from Sidelines and the roots with the drinking puddle is the baseplate from the pair of Schleich badgers also featured. The front left part is still to be worked out.
Here is a man's eye view of the woods. The man and wagon are put there to give scale to the picture. The wagon is the new one previously mentioned. It has van-height bulkhead ends, open sides, supporting timbers across the top, and the top and sides are covered by a tarpaulin. I do not know what it is supposed to be called.
And finally, a badger's eye view.
Here I repeat my previous request for suggestions of methods of getting the dried fern frond pieces I will use as leaves on some of the trees and plants to take up the ink to be used for colouring them. The leaves seem to be impervious to the ink.
I have also undertaken the 4th rebuilding of the field gate and now it is looking like one. Pictures to follow.